SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allibaster

Orienting Home w/ Back of the Floor Plan In the Front

Allibaster
10 years ago

We just closed on a nice 5 acre property in northern Wyoming with incredible mountain views. My wife and I have started looking at floor plans and are having some major disagreements on the orientation of the house on the property.

We're trying to pick a floor plan that takes advantage of the view in the direction of the access of the property (South), or the "front" of the property. For me, I think we can find a floor plan that's open with windows from the front, but my wife is convinced that we need to orient the house 180 degrees so that the back of the house is actually what most people would say is the front of the house. I just think that it'd be strange or unusual to have the back of the house be the "front". Most of the floor plans that we've liked do a better job with exterior windows on the reverse side along with a porch.

So, is it really that big of a deal to flip the house plan 180 degrees so that the rear of the house is positioned towards the front? Seems odd to me, but I am just having a hard time envisioning it.

I have attached an image of the lot.

Comments (15)