SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

Miele CM5 (CM5100) Coffee Machine

fauguy
12 years ago

It also seems that Miele is going to bring the CM5100 coffee machine from Europe to the US this fall as the CM5. I saw it on the miele.co.uk site last year, but there is now a press release saying that the US will release it through Miele Gallery stores and Williams-Sonoma.

From the pics and info, it looks like a nice unit. I've been using a Bosch Tassimo unit for about 2 years. It's OK, but there's not a big selection of those T-Discs in local stores. At least with this Miele CM5 unit it grinds the beans there, and also has a container for milk.

I heard a rumor a few months ago the price will be about $1000, so I won't be buying this for some time. Still would like to try it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Launches CM5

Comments (8)

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Not sure what the key selling point of this machine is. There are very many countertop superautomatics on the market now for less money. Miele's expertise is folding super-A mechanics into a well-designed wall unit. For countertop, I just don't see what it is they are selling that would induce me not to buy a Gaggia or Saeco or Jura, or any number of other alternatives.

• Tim
    12 years ago

Rancilio Silvia for espresso - hands down one of the best 'consumer' machines.

Technivorm Moccamaster for drip coffee.

If you're after the convenience of a super-automatic machine that grinds etc., save yourself counterspace and money and just walk to your local coffee shop ;)

• fauguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not a big coffee/espresso drinker. That's why I ended up buying the Tassimo two years ago since it can make cappuccino and tea, both of which I do make on occasion. It might not be the best quality in the world, but for the price of the unit $150 and the T-Discs, it does an OK job. Still I'd be interested in trying the Miele unit when it comes out.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Talk about pricy!

The CM5000 and CM5100 now are listed for sale directly from the Miele USA site and the Williams-Sonoma site for $1999 and $2399. I guess they figure if someone can pay $2K for a dishwasher, then they can pay the same thing for a coffee/cappuccino machine. I wonder how much these are sold for in the UK/Europe, as they've been there for a year now.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/miele-cm5100-espresso-machine/

• jsceva
    12 years ago

As of yesterday, the Williams-Sonoma store on Union Square in SF has the Miele machines out on display and for sale...nicely built, but HUGE and, as noted above, very expensive. I am also struggling a bit in figuring out their market, exactly.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

I think I saw some Jura coffee machines at Sur La Table a few weeks ago, perhaps slightly less, but (seemingly) similarly overpriced.

The Miele, which I haven't yet seen, could well be quieter than my old De Longhi Magnifica -- maybe their market is people with open kitchens who want a less noisy espresso machine.

• dawgtirednc
    12 years ago

You might want to look at the Technivorm products. They are one of only two coffee brewers that are approved by the European Coffee Centre. I purchased one several months ago, because to me, the way it worked made perfect sense and it works exactly as advertised. The main thing though is to get a good burr grinder if you don't have one already. That makes more difference than the brewer itself. If you go to YouTube and type in Moccamaster or Technivorm there is plenty of info. I especially like the ones from a coffee shop in Seattle. E mail me if I can help.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Some of the higher end Jura's are more than this. I like that it has a removable brew unit. My Jura does not.