SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fencesitter_gw

my long fagor induction review (ifa 90 bf)

fencesitter
13 years ago

First, apologies if this is a duplicate, it didn't seem to post from a different browser.

I'm not really a regular here on GW, I just come and go depending on what I'm planning on doing to my house at the time, however, it was this forum that turned me on to induction cooktops, so here's the longwinded feedback on the induction cooktop I eventually got.

Everybody's requirements are different, so let me point out what my constraints were- I was replacing an existing 36" electric flat top cooktop that was pretty poor. I assume it was a regular coil element underneath a ceramic top, so it was slow to heat and even slower to cool down. I guess that was pretty much the only thing wrong with it, but after living with that in our new (as they say in the automotive biz, "pre-owned") house for half a year, that was a good enough reason.

I chose the Fagor 36" induction cooktop for a number of reasons:

• Thinness: There were drawers under our old cooktop that I didn't want to lose. The Fagor was the thinnest and had very little clearance requirements under it.

• Price- It was relatively cheap and I was able to rationalize why not to get the cheaper units.

• Power- This was actually a big deal. Though the Fagor does not have a lot of power, it also does not draw that much power. This was one of the few/only 36" induction ranges that only required a 40 amp supply. Though my old cooktop had only a 30 amp feeding it, the oven (which I also replaced) had a 40amp supply going to the same junction box. Since I put in a 30amp oven, I was able to swap lines and get 40 amps for the cooktop without having to run new wires.

• Presets- Though it only has 12 power levels, it did have three preset buttons to get power levels 6, 10 and 12. Yeah, you could easily hit the buttons up or down the right number of times, but this is convenient.

• Bonus- Hey, it comes with a free set of pots. Well, I lost the receipt so didn't get around to picking up the pots. I did find the receipt a year later and the dealer is seeing what he can do about getting me something.

• Dealer- I could have mail ordered it, but I was able to find a local dealer. Yeah, I paid more because of local tax, but I figured it would be easier to have any issues dealt with if I could stand in someone's showroom complaining loudly. As it was, I didn't have any issues.

So, after owning this thing for almost a year, how do I like it?

First, since everyone seemed to be asking before, yes, this thing hums. How loud? Well, that's very hard to quantify and it also depends on the pot. I've got the Emeril pots with the sandwiched bottoms- cheap stuff made in China for All Clad and the lids even rattle on some, making it louder. My previous Calphalon stainless was nicer, but unfortunately, all Calphalon's stuff seems to be non-magnetic. I may have posted before about the noise- maybe a bit louder than my Bosch 500 series (SHE-55) dishwasher which claims to be 48dB.

As it was, all my old pots had warped bottoms...

Comments (12)