SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

Lot cleanup - trees and brush

sniffdog
16 years ago

I am in the final stages of building on a densly wooded lot in the Blueridge mountains. After clearing about 2 acres of weeds, heavy brush, some large tree limbs and stumps - we have a pile of nasty stuff that I would like to get rid of someday. The pile is about the size of 5 Greyhound buses end to end. All of the nice straight cut tree wood has been stacked and will be cut for firewood. It is the nasty left over stuff that I am trying to deal with.

My excavator suggested that we let the pile sit and rot for a few years and then have the stuff hauled away. There is a dump within 15 miles of our house.

I have had other people tell me to have a very large chipper brought in and grind the stuff up, then spread the chips around the lot as mulch (we have 1.5 acres of woods that is surrouding the pile).

Have also had two others suggest burning it - which I am concerned about doing for the environmental impact and the real chance that I could start a huge forrest fire - even if I take the necessary precautions.

Anybody out there that can offer some suggestions? How much do those super huge chippers cost to rent - could it eat my pile of nasty wood and stumps? How fast it could eat 5 school buses worth of brush, limbs, and stumps?

Thanks

Comments (25)