SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hudsonleigh_gw

About the niches....how to edge?

hudsonleigh
14 years ago

I am writing this against the background noise of plumbers installing the tub. That's the good news. I thought all my decisions were made, but the contractor just left, leaving me with yet another dilemma. Par for the course, I guess.

So I have a soaking tub/shower combo, the walls will be tiled with 12x12 porcelain that looks pretty much like honed calacatta. There will be an accent strip of glass & marble mosaic. I had planned to have two niches built into the wall, one on top of the other, with the mosaic put on the back wall of the box. I assumed that the sides of the box would be done with a bullnose version of the field tile. Now the contractor says that the boxes are 14x14, so there will be cuts in the tile around the box (meaning the tiles won't line up nice and square with the boxes -- okay). But he also says that there will be wider grout lines around the bullnose than in the field tile, which won't look as nice. So he suggested a wall-mounted shelf instead. Which presents its own problems, as there is not a matching shelf to either of the tiles that I'm using.

Now I have looked at many of your tiled niches around here, and I have not noticed that the grout lines are bigger. Is there something that I'm missing? Is there something that I should be telling the contractor? I didn't want to make a "picture frame" edge around the niche because the look is pretty modern & unfussy, with straight lines and metal strip edging, etc. So what are my other options?

Grateful, as always, for you insight & opinions!

Comments (9)