SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nita1950

Where do you spend Thanksgiving/Christmas? (long)

nita1950
21 years ago

I am a 52 year old mother of 3 adult children and a 10 year old. My 26 year old daughter lives at home. I also have 4 grandchildren.

My mother lives in a very small apartment with only a small living room and a small eat in kitchen. She is a healthy 71 year old great grandmother.

For years we went to her small home and enjoyed a wonderful meal. She has fed as many as 20 people during a typical holiday meal that lasts from 2:00 until 9:00 p.m. with people coming and going.

Now that I have grandchildren, I prefer to stay at home and cook for my family and adult children. I have a very large home. They really enjoy this. What happened was that my other relatives started coming to my home and skipping my Mom's home. I invited them and her the "first" year and we

have a great time with plenty of space. At her home some had to eat standing up. We have started having fried turkey and the family members look forward to it. I live in the same city as my mother but it takes about 25 minutes to get to her apartment.

My grandkids love to come to my home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now there is tension in the family. Last year, I invited her and was told that she was cooking herself. I invited my immediate family only. One by one other relatives arrived. I called her and she was alone! I felt really bad and begged some of them to go by her home to visit. About 10 of them but not until after 7:00 P.M. SHe called me later and said that she didn't know what they ate at my house but that they ate at her house as though they had not eaten all day.

At my house they all ate heartily and even took plates with them for the next day.

The problem is I feel though I am in competition and that troubles me. This year, I decided that I wouldn't call even my adult children. Well, my daughter in law called and informed me that they were excited about coming over. I had formed my own tradition of dinner at my home for the past 6 years. Tension has been mounting every since I did this; between my Mom, my sisters and myself. My sisters don't come over, but their adult children, girlfriends and children all come to my home.

My husband's mom and his very few family members also enjoy coming to my home to eat for the holidays. His mother is on a fixed income and enjoys not having to cook a large meal.

Am I wrong to start my own tradition or should I have continued to dine at Mom's until she was unable or deceased.

A comment was made that I had taken something from her.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions
More Discussions