SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Hi Classmates, lets get started.

judithva
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I hope most everyone received their books, I know a few have not received theirs by you still should be able to catch up easily. I will keep the class in this post, and when and if it fills past posts allowed by GardenWeb, then I will open a Part 2.

OK, the first thing I want you to do is to turn to pages 58 and 59.

Yes, Wow, could she have not picked a more involved table? LOL I picked this table since there is alot going on, if you can learn to see what is going on here, you can learn to "see" anything.

You are only going to concentrate on the tablesetting and chairs alone, don't worry about any of the area in the background (fireplace area).

Alright, we are ready to start. What I am asking you to do, may seem outragously simple, but there are many people from beginners to even the more experienced that don't get this, so give it a try. I'll be bringing up more points and have discussions on this a little later, I want to give everyone time to be able to work on their home work assignment, after all we are really busy people. :)

Step 1

I want you to take out a piece of paper or notebook and write down:

a. Do I like this look, hate it, don't really care, or love it? Answer WHY after you have decided.

Now the interesting part:

b. I want you to take only 15 minutes (do this with a timer), in this amount of time I want you to write down in your notebook EVERYTHING you SEE in the area that I designated you to "see". How many items did you come up with? I will be asking questions of you about it later.

c. When done with the 15 minutes of making your list, I would have you NOT look at the picture in the book anymore right now. Close the book and your notebook and in your mind, try to picture the picture/things that you wrote down about the photo, learning to develop your "minds eye" is important.

I would like to make some more points about this hopefully sometime on Monday, and you all can join in then with discussion/questions etc.

Have fun!

Comments (65)

• luvshome
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Judith,

I listed 105 items on this table. I knew it was a full table, but never would have guessed so many things.

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

OK, just did this, for 15 minutes. I have counted what I see and then the implied 'seeing' like knife,forks, spoon not seen on that hidden side of table.

So, I am checking in. I have around 120 items with another 20 implied (items not shown but behind items).
    Ready to continue. I just kept thinking 'cha-ching' with each beautiful item placed (the cost of all this luxury!!!) WOW! No wonder just a plate and napkin on my table just doesn't seem as dramatic! ha ha Was hard to differenciate between what is on table and in background towards the left. There is so much stuff there too! And you would need about 4 people plus to help bring all the stuff to stage this outside! Very impressive though! Thanks for choosing this one, I do love the style.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Let's get this party started!

Q

Comments (11)
    I am interested in trading as well, and I'm kinda getting that you are looking for "POOFY" things. :-) I'm not sure what all I have that fits that description, but here is what I have to trade: From your list above: pink wave petunias probably some golden marguerite (need to check) as well as... Annual Sweet Peas: royal pink royal blue royal scarlet royal white Nasturtium Empress of India Diablo Dahlia Thai Silk Poppies California poppies (the traditional orange) California poppy Mikado (scarlet) Cosmos picotee Statice heavenly blue Rudbeckia irish spring Salvia St John's fire Godetia Sunflower Velvet Queen Everlasting strawflowers candytuft bells of ireland cambridge mix penstemons basket of gold alyssum a single rosy-red hollyhock (I think this is a romance series one) rose mallow (both lavender and white) white saponaria a mix of oriental poppies (orange, scarlet, salmon and pale pink) a mix of annual somniferum type poppies a mix of shirley poppies rose campion a small amount of orange cosmos a mix of long-spurred columbines in shades of pinks, burgundy and purple yellow 4:00's From your list, I would be interested in: Snapdragon Tequila Sunrise Salpiglossis Red Cockscomb Send me an email if you think there's something you'd like in exchange for those three! SG
    ...See More

Let's start a new post

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi...have a few minutes in between running around today. Went to Costco with my friend right after dropping the kids at school this morning to pick up food for our church Christmas party on Friday. Just got home and cramming down some lunch before I have to pick up kindergartener and go back to the store. DH is making Crawfish Chowder for the party and I need to go pick up his ingredients. May try to stop in the TS for a sec to do a quick run thru. ha Having withdrawals even though I don't need anything. Punk~ it's nice that people are stopping in to see your pink tree. Must make you feel good. I just found out that 2 other people are doing stuff for the family I had picked out for 12 days. There are 2 other families that I've been thinking about. I don't think I'll do the 12 days, but I think I will just make up a cute basket or paint a cute box to fill with goodies for them instead. One is an older couple that we have kind of adopted as grandparents this year and the other isn't doing well financially so maybe a box of food staples would be better than cutesy stuff?? That will take the stress off of me and we'll still be helping someone else out. Think I figured out what I'm doing for teacher gifts. Got this new boxed set of cute glass jars at the TS for $1...never been opened. Think I'm gonna fill each one with candy and tie a bow around the top and call it good. Still need something for the crosswalk lady (she's a friend and I'm thankful she's there cause she really takes her job seriously and watches my kids and everyone else's when they are crossing that busy street in front of the school). I still have to come up with a little something for our neighborhood gift exchange (only a few $$'s) and various friends. Usually ends up being about 20 of those. I did a little Christmas sign year before last and then the painted mitten plug covers last year (that everyone loved). I really need to get my creative juices flowing. ha If I had time to think about it for more than a few minutes it would be nice. ha Maybe I'll run across another big bag of cutouts at the TS today and inspiration will hit me again like it did with the mittens last year. ha If ya'll have any good ones please share them. Those little donut snowmen were a big hit last year too so may do some of those for different families this year. Luvs...still waiting to hear how you liked New Moon. Belle~ on the green bean casserole, I forgot to say drain the green beans before frying down. I think most people would know that, but just in case. ha Sounds like DH is taking good care of you. Take it easy. =) Joan~ sorry I didn't make it around to replying to your post this time, but I'll get you next time I'm in. Have a good day! =) Sorry, I've been thinking out loud with you guys, but I gotta keep a running list going in my head at all times this month for sure. ha Ya'll have a good day. I'm outta here again. ~Anj
    ...See More

everybody lets start thinking about Christmas

Q

Comments (44)
    I would like to make a gift for someone, but really do not know how to go about it. That sounded dumb, what I just typed. Anyway, here is my idea. A dear friend wrote a 3 page story that was doubled spaced, for her college class. It was about when she was 4, the security she had at her grandmothers during the day, etc. I would like to have this printed in a nice font and framed. I do not want it to be so small that a person cannot read it, nor too large, that it would take up 3 frames. Any ideas to make this project attractive and sentimental. Any ideas on matting, etc? Thank you to all that can help.
    ...See More

Let's start a thread about organizing/storage solutions!

Q

Comments (66)
    Stringweaver, thanks so much for the info on the streamlined refrigerators! When I save up enough to remodel the kitchen in a few years, I definitely want to consider smaller appliances, both to gain counter space and to save energy. I'm afraid my picture was a bit misleading, though. Joy and I had actually pulled the refrigerator out a few feet when the circuit blew and we had to access the plug so we could plug it into an extension cord in a working outlet. Then we left it out so we could paint. It's now back in its designated space. Kathy, I hear you about being strategic with small cabinet space. I have ONE lower cabinet that has to hold my steamer, electric skillet, mixing and serving bowls, baking dishes, cutting boards, and colanders/strainer. Right now everything's in there and juuuuust barely fits, but I know I've got a set of Pyrex mixing/storage bowls I haven't yet unpacked. And I've missed them because I can't microwave or bake or freeze anything in the Chefmate melamine bowls...so even though I love them, I'm probably going to toss them. I like your idea of keeping seldom used appliances out of the kitchen. I think Shades does that too. Speaking of Shades, thanks Chris, for the pic of the built-in around a low window. I love that! It really frames the window beautifully! Also, THANK YOU for measuring your suitcases!! That is so kind of you! I'm guessing your hunch is right, and those were standard sizes. Missouribound, no, the minisplit will go on the main (only) living room wall. Smaller units in the bedrooms. What is above the ceiling in the pop out? The sky, lol. :-) A pop out in an old manufactured home is like ones you may have seen in RVs or travel trailers. The RV is driven to its camping spot and then, like an accordion, the owner pulls out (pops out) another little section from its side. If I ever moved this MH, they would literally fold it back into the house in order to be able to drive it without wind sheer. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the outside and post them. It's an inexpensive way of giving people a little more square footage, in my case 35 more sq ft makes a big difference. By the way, I really love your basket idea! I'm going to try that! Time for bed. Goodnight everyone! :-)
    ...See More
  • mo13
    15 years ago

Judith,
    Aaaargh!! I could not get online yesterday and missed the post. I will do the homework when I get home tonight. How I wish I had the book with me now! :(

Mo

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Oh My Goodness!
    Judith, I never knew! I was always looking at tables saying,"Oh, I love that one. I think I will do one like that." Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that it took so many pieces to put a "Look" together like that one.
    My old eyes are going bad so I used a magnifier to be able to see it well enough to count everything. I came up with 132 items!
    I can't wait to see what's next.
    Betty

• mommacass
    15 years ago

Beautiful table, I like the look but don't think it would ever be practical for my use. I came up w/ 118 items so obviously I missed a few things. I really like the silver trays on top of the straw placemats-love the contrast.

Judith-thanks so much for your time and expertise!

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great to see so many of you checking in, I think there is still a few out there, I am trying to let enough time pass so that everyone has an opportunity to take time out of their busy lives.

I don't want to get too ahead, and give out hints until this practice is over and all of you have done it.

But I will say, that the purpose of this is to really let you know how much MAY be going on in a tablesetting you admire. So many people try to reproduce a look, whether it be a tablesetting, vignette, buffet, and don't really SEE what goes into it. They reproduce a quarter of it and then stand back from their attempt and are unhappy with what THEY did, but don't understand what went wrong.

Yes, this is just the first tiny step, there is going to be more to this, but you have to start somewhere, boring maybe to some, but esscential to me in a lot of cases. In this case I wanted to see the first time attempts of what you did, it not only told me something about where you are, but it should have told YOU loads about where you are.

So what I am saying don't get worried and think this is "it" for "instructions", there is more to come, but one step at a time.

So, Mo, you have time still. :)

Betty, LOL you put out one of my hints I was getting ready to give. Yes, a magnifying glass is very helpful to look at photos. I bought a very nice size large one from Walmart for $14.00. It has proven very usefull (even when I was in my 20's and I had good eyes,) it is great to see and confirm objects in a small photo...even a large photo.

Mommacass, that is OK too that it is not your thing, the main objective is learning how to see more than what you may have normally seen. Pretty good job, you are in the ballpark. In fact many of you are in the ballpark LOL

I would love to have seen all of your lists, but I did not really want anyone to post them, because then those that had not done them would read them and then it would affect what they would list since they had seen parts of the answer to the homework. Maybe at the end I will ask for lists, but some of you may not want to type all that in LOL, but it would be good to see how you all "seen" things and I think we could learn alot from each other.

I will be asking specific questions about items, and of course since you will not be typing them in here (as least immediately) it will give everyone a chance to be more "original" with their choices. This gives everyone a chance to see extra things going on in the table. I do this because YOU will be honestly be able to evaluate where YOU stand.

OK here is another tip. When I was young I was very into drawing and painting art. I purchased a book, I think it was something like "Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain" AMAZING book! So here is the tip:

If possible turn the book, picture UPSIDE DOWN you have for inspiration, and now look and study the photo, can you see anything new, do you "see" more open space, more color in certain areas, more items you did not notice before? Basically by turning the book upside down and looking at it your brain will view it in another whole different way, the picture upside down sort of makes you look at it not as a picture, but as a series of shapes, colors, you go right into utilizing the Right Side of the brain instead of using the Left Side. (the Right side of the brain is considered the more creative, artistic etc. the Left side of the brain is the more logical, mathamatical type) you want to "trick" your brain out of the Left Brain Logical mode into the Right Brain Creative mode)basically it uncomplicates the issue, now you see things that you had not perceived before by looking at the book right side up. Try it, it is really cool.

All this intensive "looking" will not have to last forever once you get the hang of things, I only use this process when I am really going for an almost exact look, and if it is more complicated. Now if it is a simple vignette I have the basics memorized, so it is easy, for example I will think....25 inch tall black lamp, with black shade, live plant, in harmonizing container, large oval style of porceilian dish, small color matching bowl. Just a simple vignette, but easily done when you have mastered 100-150 items on a table LOL See where this is going? do the hard first, then the simple is a breeze.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Boy! I have to admit, turning the book upside down made it a lot easier to see what was part of the background and what was actually on the table. It was very hard for me to distinguish between the two, unless things were sitting in the foreground. Up ending the book made some elements look OBVIOUSLY on the table and my mathematical, left-sided brain surely missed that looking at it straight on.
    That's so cool, Judith.

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OA, great, it's cool isn't it? I am so glad you tried it, I hope the others will too.

There are other interesting exercises in the book too, it really does point out Right brain, and Left brain differences, and teaches people how to retrain your Right brain into being "stronger/dominate" when you want it to be, or at the very least how to engage OUT of "Left Brain Mode" INTO the Right Brain mode-(the area of creativity in the brain).

I truely believe that there are natural "right brainers out there, those truely gifted decorators, artists, actors, that don't have to work as hard as "Left brainers" because their brain is already operating in the dominate creative Right brain mode.

That is one reason I love to make "lists" I think the Left brain loves "lists", and while you are making the list, your Right brain jumps right on in with the Left brain in telling you what the decorative objects are, then when you just think you are done, turn the photo upside down and you just may "see" a few more things. I have been doing this for so long, I do pretty well in making exact listings. Plus there is a formula is use in where I start my list from (more about that later, there are still folks who have not jumped in yet)

What jumped out at me in the "upside down exercise" (on the homework)is where I noticed the larger expanse of white table cloth that I had not noticed as much when the picture was right side up. My left brain was telling me logically to LOOK at the top of the tablescape, almost ignoring the lower white area of the table cloth. Oh, I did see the white tablecloth the normal way, but when viewing it upside down, the larger amount of the bottom part of the table cloth just jumped right out to me, it was like BAMM, here I am! LOL

Oh, another hint, I am a ceiling fanantic (at least fancy ceiling designs). I ALWAYS turn the book or the picture upside down, so that I get a really good "view" of the ceiling, yes, it is weird, but my brain just focuses in so much more of the shapes, designs, the linear parts of the ceiling better than when it is right side up. Try it your self, find a photo of a decorated ceiling, look at it in the regular way, then turn it upside down, and notice all the details popping out.

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

Judith,
    Very good so far! I am enjoying studying with your turtorial! And since I copied my print out of a book, the graphics are not clear, I tried to zoom in and it just got fuzzy. But, I am still enjoying the full examination of the beautiful setting!

Looking forward to the next observation!

• User
    15 years ago

alright,alright.. you guys got me. I'm ordering the book. :) Not as fun to read in.

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

So sorry I am reporting late to class, busy with Thanksgiving here and other family things. However, I have done my assignment now and counted 108 items (with 20 other "implied" items). Thanks Judith for all your informative directions/hints/comments so far!

DD

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Mary Ruth, oh my, we have got to get together, so you can see a GOOD picture from the book, did you try the library?

Sheesharee, great, happy to have you join us. I hope you will enjoy this.

DD, you aren't too late, and you did well.

I hope that those of you who have joined in are getting something from this, I know it is harder to do it this way, on-line, but I think it will be OK. LOL

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, next part. When all of you wrote your list, were you descriptive in your list?

For example:
    2 silver candle operas, very tall, slightly ornate
    3? paisley scarves (in rich fall colors of golds and slightly orangy tones).(Look in clothing dept for scarves)
    8 bamboo folding type chairs in honey colored tones
    8 white Battenburg style napkins (fancy cut out edge)
    1 cement-like male bust grey tones,(outdoor quality)
    9 silver round trays/chargers (for the placesettings)
    etc etc....

I think of my lists really as a ROAD MAP. Within this "road map" is all the information that I need to have in order to find all my items whether they are already in my home, or whether I need to go to an actual store to purchase them.

Having description of each item on your List/Road map is key to your success. So IF you had wanted to reproduce this look, you would not only have ALL the items listed but you would also have the colors needed, the type of "metals" in the design etc. So off you can go shopping with confidence that you have everything on your list/map you need.

Looking closer reveals other things, for example, how many of you noticed that the silver "chargers" are different, not particulary matching? A important thing to note, because the author is showing you that you don't have to have a matching set of 8 silver trays for it to be a "proper" table setting. So for all of us, it shows that you can collect your trays over time, perhaps you own 1 or 2 already, then you can get more by going to thrift stores, antique stores, Ebay etc.

So, what I am trying to say, is after you have made your inital list/road map, make sure to go back and now really look at the items and add in description.

Now of course if you can bring your photo along to shop with that helps too, I have a notebook that I carry with me with all my descriptions and photo, it is invaluable to me, since I don't always have the best memory LOL

I know this seems simplistic, but it is an important part of learning to "see" designs, and is only the tip of the iceberg LOL

• mo13
    15 years ago

Judith,
    I am also reporting late. I did the homework last night and got around 120 items on the table. Now, I will go read through your next part. :)

Thanks
    Mo

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Yes, I noted the type of items, an even that the tablecloth was pieced or seamed together, but only because it was an assignment, prob would not have done that in real life, I admit.
    I am a list person, right down to drawing out what bowl and where it will be placed on the buffet.

I didn't have much luck with turning the book upside down, so I am one of those wrong brained people. I always have to see the furnture where I want it, I am not good at picturing how it will look.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Isn't it great that almost all cel phones come with cameras nowdays (not that I've ever learned how to use mine)? We can take close up pics to remind us about the details that drew us to the arrangement in the first place.
    I know some establishments won't allow it, but even taking pictures of pages in a book might be useful.

• User
    15 years ago

(to self) Duh.. camera phone.
    I always walk around with my camera in my purse and big tape measure. I need to get one of those key chain tapes.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

OA, I was firmly told in Pottery Barn NO PICS. However, V&B, a much higher quality store allowed me, and they were very nice about it!!
    I have the tape measure, but no camera on cell phone.
    Actually, I gave up my cell phone with the financial crisis. One less bill to pay. Lived w/o it most of my life, guess I can manage again. :)
    OK, back to the topic at hand!!!

Judith, maybe separate the posts..Lesson 2 etc...that way people who haven't completed lesson 1 can go on at their own pace...just a thought...

• pdg777
    15 years ago

Darn, this reminds me of college when you add a class after the semester starts and you feel like you're WAY behind when you make the next class! My book is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but I know I'm going to have to go through everything because I'm not a beginner -- I'm A PRE-beginner! LOL!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Pdg, that's why I suggested separate posts...it would be easier for those who haven't started yet, not to read through our answers, etc. until they were up to that part..

Let's see what the teacher says :)

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

OK, checking in, now i will look at the detail of each piece, noted them in my head, but you are right, if not listed on paper (your idea of a notebook is wonderful) I could forget. It sure would save me going back and forth to return things I got that weren't quite 'it'!
    I used to keep notes and have all measurements and sizes of everything I owned (that was decorating related) so it would be easier. OH well, I fell off the wagon.... decorating wagon that is. ha ha.

I see table settings more as 'playing' right now. I can see how serious you are about it and it is making me really look at this side of design I had not concentrated on much. I always saw the designers I worked around, just toss things together in whims at the last minute. And they looked that way! By concentrating on the structure of the tablescape, you get it 'tight' and more interesting.

I did interiors for work, and I had to be so much more exact about pieces purchased and put together. I had to keep files of each client and their colors, items, pictures, etc. I used to make a large index card for them with all color swatches of their paint, and major items. I would color match (with a pantone color deck) and put the squares on a card that represented the colors in their Oriental carpet, drapery, upholstery. This way they could match the right 'peach' instead of getting orange shades. You get the idea! This is FUN, it is reminding me of all those days without the STRESS!

HEY girls, you would have to pay $$ for this class anywhere else!!! AND not get this technical valuable information! With the engineering (technical part) explained to you, you can figure out HOW something is done to reproduce it in ANY style anywhere for any holiday, the basics are the same... structure, color, texture, etc.

Thank you so much for this GIFT Judith, I am just awed by your class here, and it just STARTED!!!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Okay...I'm checking in (book came this afternoon)..yaaay!
    I am seeing 120 items... I'm assuming it's ONLY what we are ACTUALLY seeing... Correct ?
    jane

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mo, thats great, I don't go too fast so it should be easy to catch up.

Kathleen, actually you were doing the left brain and right brain at once. List: left brain, then you drawing in the item-right brain. Don't worry about thinking you are not right brained enough, according to the book people vary with that, that is why they have exercises to get your right brain in a more prominemt mode when you are ready. It just takes practice. There are people though, the lucky dogs, that seem to shift back and forth very easily, my DD is one of them, in real life she is an accountant-very left brain, but she is also gifted in the art area of the right brain (although she views creativity as stressful) Go figure. LOL

As for the seperate posts, I'm not sure there is any real solution to that, folks can always peek ahead, and I was concerned with different posts going back and forth that info and connectivity might get lost. If it is one long post, then yes, some read too far and get the "answers" early. I not sure there is a win-win situation there.

So this being a democratic society, lets vote, who wants seperate posts, and who wants to continue with one long post possibily becoming another post once this one fills, it's up to you all. Post here in this thread and let me know.

Yes, one has to be very careful about using camera phones in a store, some don't mind and some REALLY MIND! LOL, I always ask first if I am using my digi camera, (my cell phone takes lousy pics,) and like many others, I think I will not have a cell phone once renewal time comes up this Dec. But you would have to take my digi camera from my cold dead hands before I give that up (one of the best things I did for myself was to buy a digi camera).

Mary Ruth, I guess all designers all have niches that are their particular passion, mine happens to be tablescaping and vignettes, I could afford this when I was pretty poor..one plate at a time, one glass at a time, where as buying a new couch, now that was big bucks. LOL And thank you for the support, I like doing this because it is just so much fun for me, and when I do it up for others they really seem to appreciate it and feel special, so thats always rewarding.

slinky, basically yes, it is a test to see what YOU make of it. So there are more...but you are in the right ball park. The homework is about finding out for YOU, where you are in the process. We'll talk about more "concrete" numbers later, got to make sure everyone is catching up.

Again, the key folks, is to get you to look in ways you might not have ever looked before, for some this is new, some not new, for some it's easy and others might struggle, but we all do one way or the other, this helps you find your "weaknesses", I know I sure did, I have lots of "scraped knees" learning about this. I hope I will continue in my learning process, I learn from you all too, and for that I thank you.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Actually, I have no preference at all.
    I'm thinking we should decide what is easiest for you, Judith.

I sort of think that this is not a test to show how much we know already, but an exercises to improve our ability to see things. And if that's why a person is participating, it would be silly to read ahead for the "answers."
    Of course, there's always the danger that one will unintentionally read ahead, not knowing where one assignment ends and the next begins.
    Maybe you could avoid that problem by placing a new title (say, "Final comments on Step 2," or "Beginning instructions for STEP 3") in the subject of Posting box.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Judith, first of all thank you for being our instructor.
    2nd, I am not complaining about my brain, LOL, and I welcome the opportunity to learn..after all, I taught school for 33 years, and learning is a good thing..;)

I vote for a new thread for each new exercise, but really you run it the way you want, I will follow, but def a new heading so we can find it as OA said...

• tamgypsy
    15 years ago

I'm not going to be any help because I'm with OA and have no preference, I'll follow whatever is decided in the end...:)
    Judith thank you...:)

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

LOL..judith..been thinking in my 'Right Mind' all my life...
    I'm a 'Lefty' > so are several of us in the family. And we all have worked in a creative field in some form or other. I taught Arts & Crafts to children in a Montessori program, for 22 yrs..and along the way, I was amazed on how many left handed children were so naturally creative. Young children in general, are less complex than adults and can visualize more freely than we can.... > So dear teacher,LOL >>> thanks for this class, and for helping some of us, shake away the cobwebs in our minds.. and Get Back to appreciating what we see, in a more creative way!!
    jane

• Kathie738 P
    15 years ago

I've tried counting all the items several times now, but on Saturday we had to put down our beloved Corgi Teddy B. and I just can't seem to concentrate. I'll catch up with the rest of you as soon as I can.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

OA, I didn't say they would read through FOR our answers, just that they might not want to READ our answers.:)

When I was in Graduate School, I had to take statistics. Some of my classmates were engineers and used a slide rule to figure the long computations. They would shout out the answer...so the rest of us slaving away doing it on paper used to get frustrated...like why bother, they already gave the answer...LOL..of course that shows you I am older than dirt, as no one had small calculators then. :)

And like I said, whatever Teacher wants is fine with me!

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

I don't care either way, but, changing the title is nice, especially if this stays up on the board for a while, others coming behind can be referred to it or find it again. I like oldalgebra's suggestion of Step 1, 2, or Discussion of...
    I am the type that will check back through the comments if I didn't have time to read them all previously.

You are a busy lady, I will follow whatever format you choose!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Ok, coming out of Lurk mode on this. I have loved reading all Judith's 'work', and everyone else's comments. I don't have the book, but I'm still enjoying the posts. I didn't join in cause I am totally intimidated by dishes and tests! LOL.
    But what I do want to do, is copy and SAVE all Judith's posts into my own little "Decor Book by Judith". That way I'll have these lessons forever at my fingertips!! Easy for me to refer to, and I can't remember a thing these days so need all the help I can get. I totally loved her first post today that asked if everyone had noted the items IN DETAIL. What a great idea, simple but so easy to NOT think of. At least in my case. I'm learning things too, so thank you so very much Judith.

hugs, Karen

• mo13
    15 years ago

I dont know what the solution to multiple post/single post question. But, I have to say, even though I tried to not read anybody else's post but Judith's before I could get to the first assignment, even while scanning through, I guess my brain registered some of the things other people post also.
    But, it has been a great exercise - I didnt even notice the mismatched trays and glasses the first time I saw it! Thank you for taking the time to do this, Judith. I am looking forward to learning more! When I turned the page upside down, the picture become more dis-orienting to me, sorry! I guess the right side of my brain is not active yet. I am big on lists though. :)

Mo

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I'm not going to get much sleep tonite, for few reasons, so I thought I'd go ahead and ramble on a bit.

OA, in this case when I say test and "exercise" view them as one and the same, more or less :)

As I had said above in a few posts this is all about folks here finding their own personal discovery of where they are at with hopefully some of my thoughts and experiences, I am hoping they would be of help to some, perhaps using the word "test" is a bad idea, I am guessing it is to some, it sounds scary (it can have that same effect on me too LOL)

Kathleen, Oh, I hope you did not think I was being insulting about the Left brain Right brain thing to you, I probably did not explain it very well (blush). I remember you saying you were a teacher, that was in the back of my mind when I started this, I thought, Oh, my, she is going to be horrified by my way/technique of "teaching" LOL I need your teaching expertise along with my techniques, then it would all probably make sense. :)

Mary Ruth, Tamgypsy, yep, I'll be doing seperate posts. Thanks for your input too :)

Slinky, Big smile :)you are so right, I used to watch TV all the time to see if the actors used their left or right hand when signing something, 8 times out of 10, those creative actors are "leftys" P.S, I am a right hander so I have to work harder at it LOLOL

Kathie, Oh, I am so sorry about your dog, I know exactly how you feel, when I had to put my dog down many, many years ago, I swore I would never get a dog again, it hurt too much. But I ignored my own advise and 3 years ago I got my little dog Toby, I am already in big trouble, he has me wrapped around his little spoiled paw, I keep praying he outlives me! I could not bear losing him, so I know the pain you are going thru.

Karen, you are so funny, I KNOW you could do this, (sorry I said the word "test", it's really just a bit of homework and practice :) I hope you are getting something from this though, alot of what I have asked people to do really applys to any inspiration photo. Keep hanging in there with us.

So with that, I'll post a few thoughts from me.

One of the reasons I have not asked anyone to post their lists is because I knew whether by accidently reading ahead or otherwise, the test/exercise would have then been usless to the person who came in late and seen all the posted homework from everyone. Folks will have to "police" themselves in some cases and not read ahead, but whether one does or not, after all you are the only ones who know how you really did. ;)

I was not trying to pressure people to start on an absoulte date because I knew there were some who did not have their books yet, but the majority had, since the folks who did not have their books said "go ahead, I'll catch up" well, that is what I did. There is no perfect way to do this class on the internet. I would have LOVED to have had everyone email me their answers, then I could have been more one-on-one, but my home email has not worked for months, I have a work email but I don't want to use that for such a large amount of email traffic.

This is all new to me to do something like this, it has been something I shyed away from, so that I would not inadvertantly hurt someones feelings, the internet can be a real hard thing to deal with when giving "advice", no one is there to see your expressions, hear your tone. I am not a teacher, I have zero credentials, the only credentials I have are many years in my own personal experience and luckily some people seem to like what I do. It was my little way of saying thank you to ALL you wonderful people here on Holidays. So again, bear in mind, I am figuring this out as we go.

So,I will seperate the posts, since a fair amount of you prefer that idea, I'm all for keeping this "readable" and enjoyable for everyone. Part 2 is coming up next.

P.S. please forgive my grammer and spelling, I am up WAY past my bedtime.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

LOL, no, Judith, I wasn't insulted at all.

I know I don't have that ability, and I just meant, my brain is my brain...always looking to expand it!

And I am not horrified at all...it is very kind of you to do this for us!

I never noticed that about leftys...I will have to think back to all the left handed kids I taught and remember if they were more creative than the rightys. My sis is a lefty so she would prob agree with you though!

I look fwd to the next lesson...:)

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Hi Judith! I am usually over on the home dec forum, but every once in awhile I wander over here to see what you all are up to and to become inspired. I happen to have the book you are using. I love Mary Carol! Anyway, in reading all the posts, it occured to me that this would be perfect for your blog! Is that an option? I don't know if it would be easier to use or not, just thought of it since I know that once the posts reach 150 it is gone and sometimes hard to find again.

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just popping in on my lunch break,

Kathleen, oh good, I am relieved. Yep, I always make a point of noticing leftys, they really do seem to be more creative in a large percentage, but of course, nothing is 100%, but I do find it facinating, and I am a bit jealous since I am a righty. LOL I'm feeling cheated LOL

kmcg85, hi, I recognize you from the home dec forum, I tend to lurk there more often than not. I am glad you have the book and that you like her, I did choose that author, because she is so popular. I might eventually do this on my blog, this was just sometime I wanted to give back to the "holidays" folks and those that lurk here LOL
    I will be breaking up the posts due to popular opinion. This one will still be open for the late comers if they have questions though.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I'd better hop in here with my answers too.

For question #1, I do like it, would love to be invited to such an elegant outdoor setting. But I would never have thought to do one outside so elegantly.

For #2, I listed, counted and recounted. Amazing how many items there are there! I got 129, but that was "assuming" there were two place settings on the other side of the table that I could not actually see.

I was fascinated by the number of loaves of bread, I counted 7 of them, is that correct? She really used them as part of the decor, didn't she?

This is fun, can't wait for more.

Luvs

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Judith, is this the book that you're using? If so, I'm going to purchase it. I'll be way behind the class by the time I get it, but maybe I can get caught up.

Here is a link that might be useful: book

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

dreamgoddess,
    I just happened to see your post and thought I would answer since I just viewed the information.
    The original post:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/christmas/msg0914484816380.html?64
    where she states the book name is: Nell Hills, Entertaining in Style, by Mary Carol Garrity
    how wonderful you found it at such a great price!!!

• kareen
    15 years ago

Hi Judith and all ,
    I had not signed up for this class but reading the above has my curiosity really peaked so I just ordered the book . Can't say I will do a table setting but will definately be hanging out on here with all of you if thats ok(and as hard as it was I didn't read class 2 ;)). Kareen

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Bought the copy on ebay...not sure how quickly it will ship to me though. Hopefully it won't be long so I'm not too far behind.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Judith, I got a picture of that tablesetting....holy crap!
    LOL. I counted 109 things, so hopefully was in the ballpark. But the "mind's eye" part and trying to remember all I saw, lets just say I flunk that kind of exercise. My short-term memory really stinks (Fibro problem). But still was interesting to try. I really didn't like this setting tho, LOL, but can see why you chose it for the first lesson.
    Hey, this is really fun now for me with seeing the picture.

And quit worrying about how you come across. I doubt you could insult anyone, and you ARE a good teacher. You've taught us a lot every since we came here to Holidays.

hugs, Karen

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luvs, your counting accessment is in the "right ballpark". I will be posting what I found in a bit, so you all can compare, I just did not want to do it before everyone had finished their lessons. Yes, her tablesetting is elegant, but yet down to earth. I will talk abit more about that later too.

Kareen, great, I'm happy you are joining in too, there is no pressure to "have" to do a tablescape, this is all about doing things at your pleasure. But, believe me, I am sure you will eventually want to LOL

Dreamgoddess, yes that is the book, one of quite a few that she has, and she has a new one coming out next year. Don't worry, even if you are last in being able to do this, I will still be checking back on this thread, so I won't leave you behind :)

Karen, you are in the upper part of the ball park too LOL, don't worry, my memory is terrible too, that is why I make lists...very involved lists LOL No problem with you not liking the table setting, that is the good thing about this exercise, you are just learning to see what is there, even if you don't like the setting you can still learn from it. I am glad you are finding things that are useful to you here.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Bumping back towards the top for other's still wanting to chime in. Luvs

• gasuz
    15 years ago

Just found and joined the forum yesterday... and saw this post and went out and got the book at Barnes & Noble (picked up Feather Your Nest too, lol)

I am a list maker (excel my friend). I have used the detail list to remember rooms I like at RMS. It is there that I saw (and fell in love) with tablescapes. I made notes on the ones I liked...and made a trip to Walmart to see what I could find. I decided to start slow..... 2 of this and 2 of that...to set a table of 4... all to be mixed and matched.

THAT was two weeks ago. My family (there are 6 of us) LOVE the results (even though I am a beginner). I now find myself thinking of ways to rearrange my cabinets to make room for more dishes (sigh). I was at Michaels yesterday and saw fall taper candle silks....and thought "napkin rings"! I think I am a dish-aholic in training.

Now I have found Judith's step by step photos of her stacked plates... so MUST go order...

gasuz

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Dream, that is a fabulous price!! I got mine for 17.99 incl shipping and tax, and thought that was good!
    I wish I could get a deal on the Christmas at Home...I keep looking..

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gasuz, hi and welcome! thank you for your nice comments, I am glad you like the tablesettings that I have done. Even better that you like lists and you have a head start on things. It sounds like you are already doing great, even more wonderful and important, your family appreciates it. Post some pictures of what you have done if you want, everyone here loves photos :) And one this is very true, making room! Arghhh, the bane of my existance, I AM running out of room, I need to do a serious overhaul of my garage for this "little hobby". LOL You will love doing the step plates, all the ladies here that did them have done a WONDERFUL job! You might want to query "stacking plates" and alot of the girls designs will come up I am sure.

Kathleen, I know what you mean, books do add up if you have to pay almost full price UGH, in fact there are a couple of new books coming out this November that I really want! See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Passion for Blue and White (new)

• gasuz
    15 years ago

Judith, Thanks for the welcome. I am definitely a list maker! I have started a spreadsheet for an inventory of dishes, linens, accessories,etc that I have (I may have to add a column for where stored, lol). That way, I will know, at a glance what I have and what I need to get when I start a tablescape.

Stacked plates ordered (Target)... and I took a look at the step by step of your autumn stacked plates (gorgeous) and the sheets where you had all the items spread out. I made a list of type, size, texture, #, etc of each to use as a reference for gathering supplies when I do my first one.I did a site search last night for stacked plates....LOTS of ideas there!

Since I am new to tablescapes.... other than the Nell Hill's books... are there any others you recommend? (I can add them to my Christmas wish list)I absolutely LOVE blue/white items. My everyday china is Johnson Bros Blue Willow. I have trouble resisting blue/white vases/urns, figures, etc....

Pictures? I am not the best photo taker... but I will try! Right now, the table is pushed over to the side of the room because we are painting the kitchen and the refrigerator is pulled out (sigh)

gasuz

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Judith, I finally got my book and have the first part done. I counted 118 items, not counting the placesettings that aren't seen. This was tough! I went back and read the whole thread after I finished, and I think I'm going to use your suggestion of buying a magnifying glass. LOL!

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gasuz, that is great you are a list maker, it is something that have great value for me too. I am looking forward to seeing your stacking plates done up. I have a bunch of books that I love. I will look over the titles tonight and make a list for you all here. I am a BIG fan of blue and white too...I have WAY to MUCH LOL.

DD, I am glad that you did the homework, some people don't want to do it, but it really does open ones eyes, especially beginners at this. I am not really a beginner, so if I can find value in it, I would hope that others could too. Many people think it is too "simplistic"...well it is, that't the whole point, it is simple but very EFFECTIVE IMHO... (yep, the mag glass helps me out alot too, along with turning the book upside down trick :)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions