SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonepi

Help! Making Vanity but question fabricator statement

sonepi
14 years ago

Hello All. Hope someone can help. My mom has a small under stair bathroom. We are replacing her wall hung sink with a vanity made out of a purchased cabinet. The sink was 17" x 19" and found a cabinet that would fit in the space. We found a granite remnant and I took it to a fabricator who cut the center hole for the undermount sink and a hole for the single hole faucet.

The sink is a hammered copper 15" diameter with the bowl 12" in diameter. I left the sink with them and fabricator said it would be mounted to the granite piece and I did not need to leave the cabinet. He said I could take off the top of the cabinet and epoxy the granite top to the vanity top.

Yesterday I picked up the granite top and the copper sink was not attached to the granite. When I asked about it, he said copper does not adhere to granite. He never stated that prior to fabrication even when I left the sink. It made me wonder if he actually knew this prior to trying to adhere the copper sink.

The fabricator is suggesting keeping the cabinet top on and making a hole to drop the copper sink into, then adhering the granite to the cabinet top with the sink sandwiched between this using liquid nails. He then recommends doing a silicone bead around the rim of the granite and copper sink to provide the water-proofing.

My questions:

1. Will this technique actually work to form a waterproof barrier, if he was not able to attach the sink to the granite?

2. Is there a better option to make sure the sandwiched sink is waterproofed well?

3. Does copper adhere to granite? If so, what process/technique should I use to adhere the two components together?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (5)