SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grumpydave

Options for replacing 27 inch oven microwave combo?

grumpydave
12 years ago

I'm replacing all the appliances in my kitchen. I was originally planning on gutting it and replacing everything but I've decided to just spruce it up instead. I currently have a 27" wall oven and microwave combo unit. It's installed in a 30" cabinet with a few inches of face frame on the sides. I have a few questions about my possibilities.

1. Would it normally be feasible to cut away the face frame sides to fit a 30" unit instead? When I was planning on replacing the cabinets I was going to go frameless and a 30" would have been a natural fit. Now I'm wondering if I need to stick with the size I've got. Obviously my options go up significantly if I can go 30".

2. Is it possible to install a separate oven and microwave one on top of the other as if they were a single unit? Specifically, is that feasible using the single large opening I currently have or does there need to be an extra face frame stile between the two units? I suppose I'd have to look carefully at the sizes to make sure they'd both fit in the space once the trim kits are installed.

3. I'm guessing the single unit I have today has a single electrical connection for the whole system. If I go with two individual units I'd have to split the circuit to make both connections. Is that allowed or do they need separate circuits?

In some ways it's nice to have a combo unit with integrated control panels and appearance and whatnot, but in more ways it'd be nice to have separate units where I can choose each one based on features as long as they look well together. Combo units worry me because one failing component means replacing the whole thing at a significant cost.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

Comments (2)