SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valleymagpie

PIcture of my family room

valleymagpie
14 years ago

For those who were interested in seeing my family room picture, here it is. You can see that I need a few things--furniture, curtains, rugs, wall decor...

The other views? Mostly packing boxes and linens to be laundered.

- Magpie

Comments (34)

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Oh Magpie... I absolutely LOVE IT!! What a beautiful bright room.
    I actually appreciate seeing it 'Before' and will also enjoy seeing it 'After'.
    Those windows and doors, with your fireplace, are all so impressive looking. Am I getting a glimpse of water out there? Seems like a beautiful view.
    I can see, from the pieces of furniture that you already have, it's going to be so warm and cozy.
    I love to decorate..and would just love to do it in that room.
    You've got to keep us posted. (pictures)..step by step, as you go along.

jane
    Once again... I just love it.

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jane,

I would LOVE you to decorate it! Your rooms are so beautiful. DH designed the house and I am doing the interior finishes. Every time I choose something I cross my fingers and my blood pressure goes up...

We aren't near the water (the gray-blue in the picture is actually a house roof below us) although we do live in a river town. We are in a regular subdivision but quite close to the country. The view is very pretty because we have a slope down full of trees. I can hardly wait to get more trees--firs and pines--planted, to have our own little forest.

You're lucky we're on opposite sides of the country or I would be pestering you all the time to help me make my choices!

- Magpie

• Related Discussions

Please help me select artwork......

Q

Comments (3)
    Here's an easy to find but beautiful print called "Warmth" by Volk. It's available in lots of different formats, sizes and at different price points, depending on how much you wish to spend. Here are two rugs to consider. The one on the left is the Hand-spun Antiquity Green/ Red Wool Rug from Overstock (it's 8 x 10 and is $356). The one on the right is the Hand-tufted Cazanova Vines Wool Rug (it's also 8' x 10' and is $310). The lamp is the Anson from Crate and Barrel (on sale for $99).
    ...See More

Finally posted a pictures, dark or light paint color

Q

Comments (7)
    I did pick out a color BM powell buff and it was very pretty but didn't pop out, maybe I should make the color a little darker. It just blended with the room. The valances are not in there anymore. The colors of rug have a light beige and dark rust and I think those colors are a little dull and too dark. The couch has a gold tone not a beige tone, I'll truck on by the end of the week I'll have to settle.
    ...See More

Need ideas for corner accent in family room

Q

Comments (14)
    Good suggestions and questions. Honestly didn't pay much attention to the position of the tv and artwork since we are replacing it with an entertainment center soon....I am thinking that will fill up the space to an extent...There is a backstory to the 2 drapes...The maroon ones were our older drapes and the beige curtains the ones we purchased recently...Problem is I didn't like how the beige drapes looked by themselves...so retained my old drapes as well...:)
    ...See More

Need mantel decoration ideas

Q

Comments (23)
    My goodness, is that really a live fish? I would for one thing move it away from the fireplace and give it a much larger space, preferably not in the living room. An area rug over your carpet, perhaps tying in with the teal colors of your pillows, if you decide to go in that direction, would also give more life and color to your room. Try esalerugs for transitional rugs in polypropylene which are easy to care for an can even be hosed off outside when they get dirty.
    ...See More
  • hi2all
    14 years ago

Oh, Magpie, this room is beautiful! The fireplace, the floors, the windows, all of it! I am with Jane, it will be so much fun to see it evolve over time. Although, even if you never do another thing, it is spectacular!

Lee

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Magpie, When I saw your fireplace in your other post I fell in love! And the beautiful light pouring in. And the trees!

I would be in heaven sitting in that comfy looking chair! You are off to a great start with the warm colors you've chosen. Please show us updates as you go along.

Is that by chance a piano bench? Do you play?

BTW, I don't know if you've seen TamGypsy's blog yet, but she has a beautiful rock fireplace. I encourage you to check it out.

Betty

Here is a link that might be useful: Tam's Photo Album

• melvalena
    14 years ago

With the view you have, window treatments can be the last thing on your list of things to do! Love those wood floors!

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Love it.......How stunning!
    Bonnie

• mo13
    14 years ago

Magpie,
    I cannot get over how beautiful you house is. Absoultely love it!! And I totally agree with melvalena - you dont even need curtains with those gorgeous windows and views.

Mo

• ncnana
    14 years ago

Magpie, it's beautiful! Who wouldn't love to sit in that comfy chair in front of that cozy fireplace?
    Your room has wonderful "bones", beautiful floors and windows, those beautiful doors, and of course that fireplace. - Gail

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh, all

I am just sitting down with a cup of coffee. All your comments have made ME feel wonderful!

Lee, I hope I can do a good job with it--as I told Slinky, my blood pressure goes up everytime I make a decision. We never had a house before (after leaving our parents' homes) so one could always blame the decorating on the no-character apartment!

Betty, thank you. We do get lots of light in that room even though the exposure out the French doors is just about exactly north. That, of course, makes the big windows a west exposure, and we get more light from a high window above the stairs on the opposite side. That footstool is not a piano bench, however I do play some. My dream is to have a player spinet on the wall opposite the fireplace. That may happen in a few years (LOL). BTW, I looked at Tam's Christmas fireplace--how gorgeous! That's what my fireplace wants to be when it grows up...

Melvalena, the views are nice. We can also see city lights when it gets dark, although it's hard to see any city during the daytime. The floors are white oak finished with Waterlox.

Bonniee, thank you!

Mo, thanks for the compliments. I think you live in the Northwest also, don't you? It was a rainy day when I took the above photo, but since then the sun's come out and the oak trees are coloring up.

Gail, usually that chair and the matching ottoman is over in the corner by the French door, but I couldn't resist putting it by the fire on that stormy day. That's my chair--I snuggled in it with my dad when I was little. DH has to build his easy chair!

- Magpie

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Gorgeous room, Magpie!
    Have fun decorating!
    When we built this house 8 yrs ago I was overwhelmed .I started fresh..but made some mistakes along the way..
    So take your time and be sure of what you want..:)

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen,

Thanks for the compliment! I already made one big mistake. DH was very calm when he heard me say I HATED the granite tile in the master bath (I don't think he liked it either but he wouldn't admit it). I wanted to buy tile to match the shower and he did, and then decided to learn how to put it on rather than pay to have the counter installed again. It looks pretty good! So I got to take a sledge hammer to the granite. I felt bad wasting it, but it was making me so unhappy...

I agree with your advice. Take time, everyone, and don't be afraid to change your mind if you must. Your house should make you happy.

- Magpie

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Magpie...even the Best Laid Plans.. don't always work out.

When we built our home, we went over each and every room, inch by inch. However, once we moved into it..we find ourselves saying...'You know what we should have done'!!

There should be a 'practice house' and then the 'real house'! can you imagine that one? lol

I agree with all on those windows....I'd leave them w/o curtains. I had huge Palladeum windows in my old house, and my sister in law was always saying, you need curtains for privacy...I told her I didn't buy them to cover them up. I enjoy lookng at them every day, just as is.
    Yours are so beautiful to look at too. If you really felt you needed something by the fireplace window...I would just go with a simple valance on a spring rod. You could still enjoy the beauty of the window, but with just a dash of color.
    As far as pestering me...I'm right here..pester away!!

jane

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jane,

My plan is plaid curtains hung on simple rings on the French doors and window, between the top of the doors and the transom. I cannot put curtains on the windows flanking the fireplace because the window to the left of the fireplace is right next to the stairs and curtains won't fit. I thought I'd make valances on these two windows to match the plaid curtains and then hang wood blinds inside the windows (although the property hasn't been sold, there is a home site right up the slope from us and we may want to screen a house/deck/patio out in the evening). If I do put curtains on the French doors, I'll hang them outside the windows so we still see the windows and doors.

If you want to help me decorate, you could send your suggestions to ValleyMagpie@q.com so we don't totally hijack the holiday forum!

- Magpie

• cinlo
    14 years ago

Love your wood floors & those windows! Such a wonderful room!

• yachter123
    14 years ago

I love windows, yours are gorgeous, the entire room is gorgeous, please do not show me the rest of your house, or I will be SO JEALOUS, I won't want to live in my house anymore!

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindylouhoo (love your name!),
    Thanks for the compliments! Glad you like the room. We are lucky to be able to have those floors throughout the house.

Yachter,
    You are so funny. You have a great looking house! BTW, everyone tried to talk me out of wood windows, now I see I did the right thing sticking to my guns!

- Magpie

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Mags...that room is stunning. I already loved the fireplace from previous photos. What fun you will have decorating such a grand space. That mantle can take some BIG things on and around it. Lucky you. The windows are just gorgeous and perfect.
    I hope you and Slinkey keep us informed, LOL. You can always throw in holiday decorating in your discussion so it doesn't hijack the forum. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Magpie, what can I add to all that's already been said except that I am in total agreement with all of the above. Gorgeous view, windows, fireplace, floor, and cozy chair. You must be so excited to have such a wonderful new home. ;o) Luvs

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

Magpie,fabulous room and I'm sure the rest of the house is too! Your DH designed a beauty! Yes, what "pressure" you must feel when you have to make all those choices! I get anxious just choosing a paint colour for one room. I could never build a new house! You are off to a great start though and it sounds like you are "fixing" the mistakes (BR granite)you feel you've made in a take-charge manner! LOL!

DD

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Magpie...that sounds like a good idea with using rings on rods...easy to open and close. Plaid has such a homey and cozy look to it.
    Also, I think you're decision about the side windows, is right.
    Don't sell yourself short on your creative ability. From what you have in mind, and from the way things are taking shape, you home is going to be so lovely, when it's completed. Just take your time..you're going to be there a long time!
    I've saved your email address, and if you need to bounce ideas... I'd be happy to 'catch them' ! lol

jane

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys have just blown me away with all your generous comments about my family room!

Karen, thanks for your nice comments. I will have fun decorating it. What pressure! Hope I don't blow it...

Luvs, thanks for always being there and being interested in all of our activities! It is exciting to be in our home but six months and sometimes I still feel like I'm at the beginning.

DD, Believe me, I can get pretty anxious about paint color, too! I went around and aroumd on the exterior color/trim and now at least a couple of times a week I see a house and think, hmm, I should have chosen THAT color. I guess we never stop questioning, and, of course, making progress.

Jane, if I could FIND a decent plaid cotton, I could get going and make the curtains (once I unbury my sewing machine). What has happened to plaid? BTW, almost all my ideas come from magazine pictures. I've always thought of myself as not such a hot "creator" but a pretty good "editor." I guess we'll see...

Once again, thanks, everyone, for the tremendous ego boost! I'm happy you like the room.

- Magpie

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Magpie,

I'm so glad you showed us your living room. The fireplace is wonderful and the windows and doors, just wow me. I'd love to see a picture from above looking down. Must be a view that could take ones breath away.

Good luck with decorating, it sounds like you'll do fine with help from others if need be. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

What a beautiful room, Magpie!! That fireplace is truly magnificent and the views . . . . ahhhhhhhh! All those lovely trees out there just add to the beauty of your room. I think you're doing a great job decorating it.
    Lynn

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lynn, thanks so much! You have such a lovely home and great new front porch, I feel honored.

Punk, okay. This one's for you: a view from the stairs. You can see some of my packing junk along the side.

- Magpie

• prosperity66
    14 years ago

Wouaaaaaaaaaaaaw! What a gorgeous home you have! Your family room is the one everyone ever dreamed of! And what about the dish pantry? I'm breathtaken!

By the way, I love your carolers!

This was a really nice slideshow! Looking for more :D

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Magpie,

It is awesome! Just love it. I hope everyone will come back and see this!!! If you don't have to put up window coverings, don't. Thank you so much for taking a picture and posting for me.

Punk

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Magpie...I'm glad I checked back in here.. I agree w/Punk
    what an awesome view from above.
    I too believe, I would leave those doors and windows above w/o coverings..too beautiful to cover.
    I would just do valances, inside the windows, (not to disturb the moulding or walls).. on the two side fireplace windows and the one on the right side of those doors. JMO
    My French Doors (with transoms) are uncovered, to enjoy the whole look of them. I have valances, throughout the house, and blinds underneath on some of them that need privacy at night..
    jane

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Oh goodie, another pic of your wonderful home! Love those beams; they're gorgeous . . . and so is that view from up there! Keep those pics coming!
    Lynn

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dominique,
    Wow! What a reaction. Thank you for looking at my room (and my dish pantry).

Punk,
    Frankly I was getting embarrassed by all the wonderful comments on my room so I didn't want to do a new post of the same room. I understand everyone's comments on the windows. I do love my windows and had to tell the contractors many many times that I wanted wood windows! Painted windows wouldn't have looked right with my style of decoration. Nonetheless, I don't like to sit right in front of a big window when I can't see what might be out there looking in. I am following a room I found in a log home magazine which has plaid curtains. Once I find the right fabric and/or curtains, I'll be posting that. I really think everyone will like them.

Slinky, I understand how you too would leave the French doors uncovered. I agree with the valances. The window to the right of the French doors is half in the kitchen and, ironically, will be the one that is left without a window treatment 'cause at least so far I can't figure out what to do with it, and it's fairly close to the range top so I'm afraid a window treatment would get dirty fast. I could change my mind on that...

Lynn, thanks again for the compliments! The beams were designed by DH and aren't real support beams--they're there just for looks. He wired them so the chandeliers and fan actually hang from the beams. He had to put the wire inside the beams 'cause you can see the tops of the beams from the stairs. Now he is considering putting an as-much-hidden-as-possible outlet on the center beam so I can put lighted garlands up there for Christmas (this was actually HIS idea, I swear!)

- Magpie

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I have to add that you have a pretty incredible DH!

Hugs, Karen

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Wow, Magpie, what a great idea to put in an outlet up there. But, that's really high up there to be working. How do you get up there safely?
    Lynn

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

I can only agree with what everyone else has said - just beautiful - I see Christmas written ALL over that room ~~thud~~ sure hope you post pictures of that!!!!!! An outlet up in the beams - FANTASTIC - what a husband :D

Thank you so much for sharing .....

Lynne

• hi2all
    14 years ago

Magpie, your view from the stairs is beyond beautiful! Thank you so much for posting this. Thanks, too, Punk, for suggesting it.

Please show us more pics as you can -- it is a pleasure to look at your home.

Lee

• valleymagpie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen, Yes. he is something!

Lynn, at that point the beams are 14 ft high. DH has one of those Little Giant ladders and it doesn't bother him at all to be up there...

Lynne, yes it WAS designed for Christmas, my favorite holiday. I think my search for the perfect Christmas room led me to the Lodge style which I love! I hope my decorations will be worthy...

Lee, thanks for the compliment! Wish I could get more furniture faster. One thing I can do is clean up more boxes and then maybe I'll have a picture of the kitchen, which is just on the other side of the family room.

- Magpie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions