SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heatherummel

help please! waterproofing under acrylic base?

heatherummel
15 years ago

We are building a house and I've been lurking here for quite awhile. Suddenly there are some questions about our master bath walk-in shower. We bought an acrylic base b/c I didn't want to be cleaning grout in the floor. The plumbers installed it by screwing into the framing as per installation instructions. The instructions also called for a mortarbed under acrylic, which they cut corners on and only installed some thinset or something in a couple places underneath to make sure it felt solid.

Now the drywallers showed up and unbeknownst to us, put in some kind of backer board (looks like drywall but with a gray paint-like coating on it) in the shower. The tilers were supposed to be putting up the backer. Now that I'm trying to figure out what to do, the tile installer mentions that they like to put a bladder under the acrylic base that runs into the drain. ?! I never anticipated anything like that. I thought acrylic was impervious to leaking, so you just had to worry about that behind the tile. He basically agrees, but says there's nowhere for them to run their bladder into for any potential leak in the grout. Am I making sense? Can anyone help me figure out what I should really be doing at this point. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living