SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi72_gw

No Sand Under Pavers?? Patio experts please help!

mimi72
17 years ago

We're in the process of having a HUGE patio (oh say 25 x 40 feet or so) put down by a landscaping guy. He seems to be meticulous and doing a good (albeit slow) job, so far the result looks nice. This is a brick paver patio mixed with 1' square bluestones in a pattern designed by the guy.

He dug out several inches of dirt and then placed a layer of coarse gravel. On top of that, he is placing a layer of fine gravel, leveling it, stamping it down with a flat tool, and then laying the pavers. He told us in the beginning that the fine gravel is doing the job of sand. Today I had another guy doing some work at the house who looked at what was being done and he expressed "concern" that this base would be insufficient (in a patio this size) over several freeze-thaw cycles (we're in south-central Illinois). Now I'm all worried. I looked on the internet today and all paver patio instructions talk about using sand as a base. Are we in trouble? The guy is almost done with the stones. I'm getting an ulcer.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone