SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nlion

Converting to gas cooktop=small fortune!

nlion
11 years ago

I am hoping to convert from an electric 30" cooktop to a 30" gas cooktop. I am looking at Viking or perhaps Thermadore. Our first plumber's bid to run the gas line came in today at $1890, plus tax. That doesn't include permits, reinspection fees of about $500 and drywall repair and paint of $3-400. He said he'd run pipe down through our attic (our gas furnace is in the attic) and down the wall in the dining room and through there into the cabinet below the cooktop. There would be at least two 3' x 3' holes in the dining room wall. I've now got to really think hard about how much I want a gas cooktop (and I REALLY want it) to be spending over $4K altogether for it! And this is just for a nice quality 30" cooktop, certainly not a huge restaurant size setup. I have another plumber coming to bid tomorrow and I have high hopes that he'll have better news for us. I told him on the phone that we didn't want walls destroyed and he said he didn't think he'd have to do that. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. ;-)

Comments (21)