SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herring_maven

Irons: anything new under the sun?

herring_maven
10 years ago

My spouse performed a Newtonian experiment this weekend, reaffirming that an object in straight line motion (a falling steam iron) will continue in straight line motion until acted upon by an external force. In this case, the force was another object, a hard floor, and the first object shattered. It was kind of a blow to nostalgia as well as to the iron, because our venerable iron, a T-Fal Avantis 130, was made in France, a subspecies of iron that I suspect is now as extinct as the dodo. But the French iron now must be replaced.

Last time we needed an iron, we read reviews at Amazon and elsewhere, concluded that the Rowentas are overpriced, and -- even the top of the line made in Germany Rowentas -- overrated and non-durable, and that is why we purchased the T-Fal, which has been quite servicable for close to a decade.

A review of the same kinds of reviews this week leads one toward the conclusion that naught has changed in regard to the relative value of Rowenta irons, but there are two new contenders for the position that the T-Fal took when last we were in the market: one specific model of Black & Decker, beloved (apparently) of Consumer Reports, and several models of Panasonic that are made n China even though Matsushita, the parent company of Panasonic, is headquartered in Japan. (And the T-Fal FV44x6 models wait in the wings for us to rediscover the brand.)

I am intrigued by the "360ð ironing" idea featured in certain Panasonic models: the soleplate is shipped like a canoe or kayak with points at both ends, so (Panasonic claims), the clothing one is ironing will not bunch up by the retrograde motion of a squared-off rear of the soleplate; and the underside of the soleplate is slightly curved, to allow even some sideways motion when ironing. It all sounds logical yet too good to be true, and I wonder if any members of this community have had sufficiently extensive experience with both conventional irons and a Panasonic 360ð model to give the latter a thumbs up or a thumbs down. (Of course, the reviews on Panasonic's own website all give glowing approval.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic's pitch for the NI-W810CS

Comments (11)