SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lainie55

How know number of tiles that vary when buy porcelain?

lainie55
16 years ago

Been shopping all over trying to decide on master bath tile.

Will probably use a honed natural stone for floors.

However, for the walls, seeking a porcelain ceramic with straight lines (narrow grout) and a formal look, polished.

Also want subtle variation from tile to tile, BUT NOT much repeat of seeing exact same tiles in the finished room; for a more realistic look.

The salespeople in the stores give different or confusing answers on the question of pattern repeat.

For example--"if you see one tile on a sample board, then all the tiles made look EXACTLY like that one tile"....OR, "if you see 4 tiles, then that company makes 4 different patterns"...OR, if it is a more expensive tile, they will ALL be different, etc.

When others on the forum discuss taking tiles from the boxes at random, does that mean that each box contains the exact same tile inside; and thus a person must vary the boxes from which they draw tiles? (Salespeople also give conflicting answers on that).

Anyone with insight on this?

Stone Peak Ceramics has a few lines in which they SAY "every tile is unique" but unfortunately they don't have the colors I want.

Considering polished color-through tiles by Portobello or Imola (Sirrah and/or is it Aurea?).

Portobello salesmen said that with that "type of tile", there is no repeat in pattern until about the 80th tile. However, he told me some other things that were incorrect, so I wonder.

For the Imola, (same "type" of tile as above) one salesperson said they "must" have alot of variation due to relatively high price; but another--who spoke to someone with Imola--said there are only 4 different patterns made in any one color.

Can anyone explain this randomness issue, and/or know about Portobello and/or Imola Sirrah?

Thanks so much! Lainie

Comments (3)