SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

Please help me with SubZero: repair, replace, or change brands?

gellchom
11 years ago

Okay so our 20 year old SubZero side by side, which came with the house when we bought it in 2011, needs repair. It will cost about $800 (in addition to what we spent a few months ago). However, that will pretty much make everything new on the refrigerator side.

The repairman, whom I do trust, said it really was about 50-50 on whether to repair or replace. He said he would guess it will last 5 more years if we repair it.

He said that he does recommend another SubZero instead of a less expensive brand. I'm sure you know all the pros and cons of SubZeros generally already, including the vastly reduced energy usage of the new ones, but one other factor is that if we stick to SubZero, we can reuse the wood panels that match our cabinets, which would otherwise add a substantial amount to whatever other brand we'd get.

It's the smaller size, I guess (I would HATE it if we didn't have a cheap regular fridge in the mud room). I wouldn't have chosen it, but I've been very satisfied with it.

I hate to plunk down a big wad of cash right now because we have our daughter's wedding coming up! But if it's time, it's time.

What are your thoughts, please? Do you know how much energy is saved with a newer refrigerator? I really need advice.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Comments (2)