Tip on Using Iron-On Decals

Red_Confetti

The instructions for iron-on decals usually tell you to put the shirt (or whatever you're applying the decal to) on a very firm surface, preferably your formica kitchen counter. I've always done that with good results.

But I recently wanted to apply a decal to the back of a t-shirt that had a pocket on the front. There was no way to get a completely flat surface where I wanted it without the pocket creating bumps through to the back.

My solution was to go to a hardware (Home Depot) and buy a 12" x 12" adobe floor tile... one that was unglazed and absolutely flat (no ripples). I slipped that into the shirt to use as the 'formica.' Worked super!! The size was slightly larger than any decal I'd be applying (max. size 8-1/2" x 11"). And I got a little tile to slip into pockets when I want to put a decal on them, or to use when applying decals to kids' shirt sleeves, pant legs, etc.

The cost of the large tile was only $1.38... can't beat that!

No doubt a glazed tile would work just as well. I just happened to pick unglazed. Just be sure the tile you buy is perfectly smooth.

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevec50

A great tip Red! I've been using a piece of hardboard for a while now (the brown stuff) and it's worked out well also.
SteveC

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
More Rooms Iron It Out! Storage Solutions for the Ironing Board
3 Helpful Tips On How To Make Space for this Household Essential
Full Story
Bedrooms 10 Tips for a Soothing French Country Nursery
Joyous but restful, soft French country style is a natural choice for baby's bedroom
Full Story
Decorating Guides 10 Tips for a College Apartment That Says ‘Home’
Want to decorate your first apartment so it looks put together, not thrown together? Try these easy ideas for a smart-looking space
Full Story
Crystal Blue Aquatics LLC. is a family owned and operated swimming pool company, built on 25 years of experience... Read More
MW Construction performs all types of construction from design-build to general contracting to construction... Read More