SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faithseed_gw

Please review my houseplans

faithseed
16 years ago

After many months, I think we have gotten the plans pretty much the way I want them. I'd love to hear some feedback.

The house will be at the top of a hill, overlooking our farm. The best view is from the south (bottom of page), and that did create some design challenges. We have 4.5 children, 9 and under- lots of gardens and farm animals. Plus a GSD. Did I mention dirt?!?!? My husband and I both work from home, and we homeschool, so we needed quite a bit of unusual space.

On the north side of the house (from left to right) is:

hubby's office, library, my office, the mudroom, and behind that, the laundry room.

We also added a porch off the east side where the "family only" entrance will be leading into the mudroom.

The kitchen layout is not finalized, and obviously neither is the master bath.

Upstairs is the bedrooms, plus my craft room. We also plan to wall off the space between the north bedrooms to make a storage area accessible through one of the closets.

There are some things that I really wanted, but don't seem to fit:

1) due to the location of the fireplace, built-in surrounds don't seem to fit

2) because we eat every meal together as a family, the dining area was very important to us, and we wanted to take advantage of our beautiful views. That left me with nowhere to do a built-in china hutch

3) lots of little ones, no laundry shoot! Not sure the solution to that

4)No clear place to hang towels in children's bathrooms. I had always thought to hang them on hooks on the wall.

5)I really wanted 2 bathrooms on the main floor (besides the master)- one for the "mud area", and one pretty powder room. We ran out of space, and I needed a shower more than a fancy powder room. Maybe this is more of a decorating issue.....

Any other features you might suggest?

Glaring flaws?

I look forward to hearing what you think!

{{gwi:1437996}}
{{gwi:1437998}}
{{gwi:1437999}}

Comments (13)