SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

cabinetry - storage - what do you like best

15 years ago

I've been pondering remodeling my small bathroom for awhile. It's 7 x 7.5 feet and this is the only bathroom on the main floor - there is no master bathroom. It's about 37 years old and though not really offensive it's just wearing out. I think I've finally decided that I'm not going to change the current layout at all. There's a possibility I might move plus there's only so much that can be done in this small space so no major change. If we do sell the house someone will likely do an addition and add a master bath along with a few other things.

I probably will even keep the toilet (newer) and the tub. The tub (shower combo) is 64" long and I would just replace with another long tub. So I'm replacing: shower tile, floor tile, faucets, lighting, fan that no longer works at all, and the vanity.

There's not all that much to decide but I am kind of stuck on vanity/cabinetry. Since the room is so small I want to optimize the storage space - I do have linen storage outside of the bathroom. I remodeled a kitchen a few years ago and love the efficient storage and see there are similar things for bathrooms. I will probably go with a local custom cabinet maker as I have a few weird things to deal with like a door that currently hits the toilet on one end and a laundry chute opening under the other side that I'd like to make more usable - it's currently closed off for more storage space. I like the cabinetry that sits on the counter and goes up higher - if you know what I mean. I also like the higher counters - kitchen counter height. I even kind of like the European cabinetry that is shallower - to make the room more spacious - less storage of course.

My vanity space is 62 inches and I have no desire for two sinks so I have a little space to work with. What would you recommend? What do you have that you really like?

Comments (8)