SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yokatta

Hide a Hose Central Vac

yokatta
14 years ago

I am building a home and got a bid from a central vac installer and when asked about the hide a hose, that I have read good reviews about, this is his response:

I am familiar with the Hide a Hose. We can and will install it but I donÂt recommend it. An exception would be an add on for a certain area for quick clean ups but donÂt bet on it for the whole house. ( A Vroom is less money and better for a small area)

Reasoning:

1. It will only work with air driven powerheads such as a TurboCat that are marginal for cleaning performance.
  2. The hose is only 1 ¼' and 50 will reduce airflow substantially.
  3. It takes extra pipe and special fittings to install so that the hose can be stored in the pipe. The valve could be right next to the vacuum and you still have run 50Â of pipe somewhere to store the hose and then go to the mainline and to the vacuum. Reduced airflow.
  4. Expensive.
  5. Not standard for the industry. What happens if they go out of business in a few years (It is a possibility because Hose Magic went out of existence even after Hoover tried to rescue them. They were also an in-wall hose storage system).

Except for the 5 points above it is OK.

My suggestion for optimum convenience, which is the only thing you are slightly gaining with the Hide a Hose is:

1. Lay your house out for an easy handling 25Â hose, not 30Â or 35Â. You wonÂt believe the handling difference. You move them a little more often and it probably increases the valve count by 25% but they are light, little and easy to handle.
  2. Have a hose or a complete kit for all 3 levels so you donÂt have to haul hoses up and down the stairs.
  3. In the kitchen/dining put vac pans or even better, Vrooms (www.vroomyourroom.com). If the kitchen valve locations are right and there is convenient storage, a Kwik Clean stretch hose kit for $59.00 works great.

I would like some input from those of you who have used the hide a hose. Are these statements true??

Comments (5)