SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

etching on my good drinking glasses

sooey
17 years ago

Hi Kids,

This seems to be a recurring problem for many of us here on this forum...etching/film on glasses. I did a search and found several recent questions about this issue. Here is another one.

I have several items, all clear glass, that have become etched in my dishwasher. I am very sure that if it's happening to the glasses, its happening to everything...its just noticed on the clear glass. I'm sure it's etching from the strong dishwashing detergent. I have always used Cascade. I'm sure its not an issue of pre rinsing or not, that should make no difference. I'm sure it's an issue of dishwasing detergents that are way too strong.

In one of the other posts, jmac mentioned phosphate free dish detergent. Has any one tried this? It seems to make sense. Water 'type' can also be an issue and I know that there can be reactions between minerals in our water and the chemicals in the cleaning agent that is used. It may well be that we all have the same problem but caused by different factors. I really hate to see my glasses becoming cloudy and yuckie.

I also think that anyone who has a septic tank needs to scrape and rinse their dishes no matter what the people who make the dishwashing detergent tell us. Food particals left on plates goes directly into our septic tanks. Food particals, even those ground up in a disposal cause the vast majority of septic failure.

So, my question is, have any of you tried the phosphate free dish detergent? If so, how has it worked?

Thanks, Gang. As always...I'm guilty of over thinking a problem. If it bothers me that much...I should just hand wash everything! But...thanks for your time.

Sooey

Comments (15)