SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jshnyc_gw

More induction ?s- size of burners and features to look for?

jshnyc
15 years ago

I'm at that stage of looking at induction cooktops (and the Kenmore range - I wish the GE one was out already) and am feeling totally bewildered. I've been reading lots of threads here which has been quite helpful - even already in helping me make the decision to absolutely go with induction since gas isn't an option for me.

Anyway, one nagging stupid question - what happens when you use a pan that's significantly bigger than the burner? Does the pan conduct the heat across the bottom of the pan well? Do you end up with cold spots? Right now, I most often use two 12" pans at once while cooking, but it seems like most 30" induction cooktops have at most one 10" or one 11" burner and then smaller ones.

Also, to organize my thoughts, I think I need a list of things to think about. Anyone able to walk me through how you made your decision? I have a small kitchen, so I need to go with a 30" cooktop with a wall oven below (or the Kenmore range). Here's what I'm thinking about:

--burner size/layout

--controls - what they look like, what sorts of things you can control (do the controls differ that much between options)?

--frame (is this just aesthetic? why would I care?)

--if I can put an oven beneath (and then everything about the oven - what can I put beneath? how low? how big? etc.)

--how the power is distributed amongst the heating elements?

--reliability as far as I can determine it

What else ought I be thinking about???

Comments (8)