SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

mushrooms in the shower

jackson2348
16 years ago

No, I'm not kidding. And not the good kind. We are in new construction, moved in right before Christmas. It is on a crawl space, with Icynene sprayed under the house, so we can't see anything under there. This morning, I go in the bathroom and there are real live mushrooms on the outside of the shower curb, between it and the floor. There is NO grout or caulk there (we won't go into how bad my tile guy was). Builder says we just need to caulk it up good. My thoughts are that caulk would just be a band-aid, I think the shower is not water tight.

The tile guy did put some type of membrane under the tile, but water is coming from SOMEWHERE. The shower does dry up, but the tile outside is slightly darker and the veining in the tile is much darker, indicating (to me) moisture.

Don't think the builder is going to be happy about taking it all out and starting over...it's all marble, and was expensive. I'm concerned that it is going to rot out after the builder has no more liability if we don't.

Any ideas on how to approach this, or if I may be wrong about what's going on? TIA.

Comments (19)