SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebigad

Primer Choice for Bathroom Ceiling?

thebigad
10 years ago

Our master bathroom (house bought last year and renovated by previous owner) shows dots of mold/mildew on the ceiling after about a month of use. I wipe it down with a bleach pad. If we don't use the bathroom, no stains. So, I guess the steam from the shower causes the mold/mildew. There is no mold/mildew on the walls - just ceiling.

We run the bathroom fan, but maybe because of the distance, it doesn't suck out all the moisture. I'm not in a position to move it closer to the shower right now. For one, there is a rainfall shower head that would have to be replaced. So, let's say the fan stays put.

The only other issue I can address is that the ceiling paint is a simple flat interior paint. I guess they didn't use a bathroom paint. So, I thought I would put primer over the existing paint and then buy the Sherwin Williams bath paint and put it over the primer.

So, questions:

1. What primer should I get? Water-based or oil-based? From searching online, I can't figure out which one.

2. Note that this primer is going over existing paint. Other than sanding down and wiping the ceiling clean, do I need to do anything else before I prime? Does your answer change based on the type of primer?

3. How many coats of primer do I need to apply?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)