SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylmi

Is everyone keeping cool?

marylmi
16 years ago

This is unusual for us to have it so hot. We're hoping it cools off a little soon....but not too cool! :)

Comments (31)

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Welllllll, if you call 100 degrees with 85% humidity cool......
    Actually we have been having below normal temps all summer...BUT we have had above normal moisture thus WAY above normal humidity!!!!! YUK....give me back my hot and dry Texas!!
    Thanks for asking...keep a spray bottle of water mixed with about a tablespoon of witch hazel handy! It will keep you cooler!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jaybird, yes, you have sure had some bad weather in Texas. Hope you get some relief soon! It is 95 now, but it is windy so that helps. Too hot to do anything outside so I'm spending the time 'surfin'. Hmmmm, think I'll look up the witch hazel! Thanks for the tip!

• Related Discussions

Everyone looking to purchase cool season grass seed

Q

Comments (3)
    I expect Galaxy is darker because Prosperity is considerably darker than Bedazzled. Above is a picture of Turf Toes' Magnificent 3 lawn. I'll ask John at Rose Agriseed if he has a picture of Galaxy. I really don't think Seedland's pic nearly does it justice.
    ...See More

Hello everyone! My Lemon Meyer tree in my cool room:-)

Q

Comments (26)
    Wow!!! I can only imagine what he grew with that lamp...lol Mike It looked like the very same one I use to use that didn't do the job you describe that one as doing. I hope it continues to do well for your tree. Let me borrow one of them for my succulents, will you? Keep up with the feeding regimen. I am just wondering if your tree might need a rest such as mine do? Maybe it will throw off a ton of flowers for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Have you though about cutting back on Nitrogen? I have had to do that too. Hope you are having a great day today. Sweet, you are very welcome. This is a great place with a bunch of great people. Mike:-)
    ...See More

A few pictures to share

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks, everyone. I'm grateful to have any flowers this summer. Dave, I'm in Texas, land of the perpetual high pressure system. The whole state is in an exceptional drought; every weather system passes us by but dumps rain on our neighbors east, west, north and south. They say the extremely dry soil is what's making the heat even worse. By about 3pm everyone around here wants to take a nap! Dave P., that is JL Tornado, so I'm pretty excited to see the flowers in the future. All those seedlings have flourished where some other varieties had a lot of weak babies. K, if I had to do it again I would use more of that Pride of Barbados around the yard as a xeric. It's very tough and so cheerful despite only a watering every 7-10 days and being in full sun most of the day. No pests, either.
    ...See More

After using the Oven...Keep door open to cool, or keep shut?

Q

Comments (15)
    I have newly installed Gaggs and was wondering about the length of time it should take for the oven to cool down. I don't hear any fans running and there are none to see so how do you know they are going? I thought it was taking a long time for the oven to cool down but that could also be because they are so well insulated. The Gagganeau has an info button that will tell you the interior temp of the oven and I have never had this before so maybe I am just taking note of the cool down period where before I never thought about it.. Good to know the door should be left closed because sometimes I do open the door to cool it down quicker .
    ...See More
  • kathleen_li
    16 years ago

HOT and HUMID here. My straight hair does not do well in this weather. Thank God for AC! Weekend supposed to stay this way too. And soon we will be complaining about the cold!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathleen... I know it will be cooling down fast enough before too long so I hate to complain too much- but today was sure terrible, I'm just glad we don't get these kinds of temps ALL the time!
    BTW, we are just finishing up the cake, it is nice and moist! Very good!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mary..we had some too! I bought blueberries today, so I will make something with those over the weekend. I used to love picking them and making something the same day, what a difference in taste. There used to be a place here with low bush blueberries, you could pick a lot quickly. But now there are homes there...The end of Aug we have a place for dwarf apple trees, all diff varieties. I love that too. Even the 2 and 3 yr old gkids can reach and pick! Some pies in the future...

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our family used to go huckleberry picking when we were kids. They were so good, a lot sweeter than the blueberries from the store. We have five apple trees that are just loaded this year. It is the first year for the 'Wolf River' dwarf tree to have apples and I can't wait until they are ripe! They are good for pies and also for baking as they are larger than a regular apple. It is an 'old time' apple.
    Yes, definitely pies coming up! :)

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Phoenix summer and the word cool never go together. LOL
    I am staying in most of the time, not that I have a choice lately since I can't do much walking last couple of weeks.
    Left foot too painful, and right knee. I did make a short trip to GW the other day. They had loads of Xmas stuff out. I about fainted. Jeez, I was hoping for some Halloween things to decorate with. Found one little pumpkin tealight holder was all. Of course I did get some Xmas things. sigh. No will power at all. Need to take pix and stop "vegetating", been giving in too much for too long with this pain. Will try to perk up and get busy.

hugs, Karen

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Purplemoon, goodness, sure hope you feel better soon. My knee has been hurting the past few days so I know (a fraction) of what your going through! Sending out best wishes!!

We had company from Phoenix the first of June and it happened to be a cool weekend so they were very happy!! I thought they would be 'cold'. lol!

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Purplemoon, I hope you are feeling better today!!! DH's DGS and family are here this week from Phoenix and they think the weather is nice and cool :^) Perspective makes the world go 'round!!
    The little kidlets will be congregating in my backyard tomorrow to play under the sprinklers. I will hook up three sprinklers and they can have at it!!! I'll get the yard watered too! ;^)

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

This was not a good day for our air conditioner at work to fail. I work on the third (top) floor of a building where the windows can't be opened. And this morning it was up to 91...

They got things running again fairly well, so it's down to 80-something now. But I do feel a bit like a wrung out dishcloth!

May the work-day go quickly!

Sending well-wishes to all of you!
    -Jenn

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenn, hope the temp has improved in your building! Our fans have been getting their workout this week! We don't have AC as we actually don't need it that much. "except now :( "

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Thanks! We're down to 80 now. So it's much more livable, thankfully.

It really has been a scorcher! Hope everyone is able to keep as cool as possible. Maybe someone clever here can work a fan into their table setting. :-)

• yachter123
    16 years ago

Mary & All, we've been in the 90's all week, since my surgery I can't seem to handle the heat, plus I haven't gotten my energy level back at all.

I told DH that all the blood tests they do in the hospital left me iron deficient!!! I just have NO energy.

Went out in the backyard tonite & everything looks limp! Watering just doesn't do what a good rain will do for the plants. I've been moving the sprinkler around the yard trying to revive things somewhat.

The yard sales here have been few & far between the past few weeks, so no pictures to post at all! UGH! Frustrating!

Been busy cooking tonite, having guests on the boat tomorrow & just finished a Banana Split Cake & potato salad & my back is killing me too (Karen) so I know how you feel. If I stand too long or walk my lower back feels like someone hit me with a sledge hammer. I am going to bed to try to rest it.

Hubby is on vacation this coming week and we are planning a day trip to Shipshewana, Indiana, huge flea market there & Amish community with fab restaurants, bakeries etc. so lots of walking & my back is acting up (of course)!

Healing well from my surgery & been very busy trying to play catch up with the laundry & housework, so haven't had a chance to drop in here til tonite. Looks like everyone else is busy or staying inside to keep cool. We have 90's predicted next week too.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Lori

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yachter, sorry to hear you are having back problems. Hope you get some relief from this heat soon, maybe that would help get your energy back. I sure don't have much ambition in this heat! I've been cooking as little as possible & eating out more. I'll have to think of something else when the temp goes down....stove won't work? lol!

Enjoy your day at Shipshewana. I haven't made it there yet but have heard so much about it. I love the large flea markets.

Sending best wishes to you, take care~

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I don't like this kind of heat as it makes me weak also but I'd rather have this than the white stuff coming down.

Yachter, sure hope you feel better soon. Back surgery is no fun, been there/done that! It takes time to heal as I'm sure your docs are telling you. Take it easy and don't over do it.

• User
    16 years ago

My cat - Miss Kitty, seems to have melted into a 3ft furry tube, and the dog's breathe is as hot as air conditioner exhaust. Other than than that...

Jim

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hey Jaybird, I'm in your home state of Texas tonight! ;o) Taking the 54 north heading for Wichita, Kansas. Used to live there for about 8 years, so going to stop there to see a couple of old friends before we go on to Missouri. We drove about 10 hours today, didn't like the rv park we had selected out of a book, so just continued on north, and stopped at the first rv park we came to in Dalhart, Texas. Just need to take our showers and get some sleep. Was pleasantly surprised to find this little rv park had WiFi internet available. Yahoo!

Yachter, sorry you are having back aches on top of recovering from your surgery. Hope you feel better so you can enjoy that flea market, sounds like fun.

Karen, I'll be looking forward to seeing your GW finds. Hope your foot and knee start feeling better soon.

I don't know of many people who like the heat--it just zaps my energy too. At least we should all be ready to enjoy the Fall weather that will be here soon.

Kathleen, you are always cooking up the best stuff. I haven't cooked much so far, I had made up several things before we left home.

Mary, I've forgotten--what state are you in? How are the baby calves doing with the heat? Be sure to give Lily an special treat for us.

Jenn, how well I remember the times the air at work went out--so miserable trying to still get your work done when it is so hot in the building. Glad they got it fixed quickly for you.

Got to check the rest of the posts while I've got this fast internet service going. You all take care. I'll try to check back in tomorrow night.

Luvs

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

craftylady, I'm with you, that white stuff can stay away forever...well, maybe a little on Christmas, then back to high temps! :)

Chijim, hope your cat and dog are staying nice and cool, must be hard on them, even with their 'summer' coats! :)

Luvstocraft, nice to hear from you. Ten hours of driving is quite a stretch! My sis and bil live in Branson, Missouri. I live in Michigan, but with all the high temps we've had, it feels like Ariz.! Calves are doing very well, we keep a close eye on them in this heat, but they stay near the creek in the trees most of the day & wander out in the afternoon to graze. I still have to get a picture taken of Lily, maybe in a few days.

Enjoy your trip! :)

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Lori, I hope your back lets you enjoy the day trip. Sure sounds like a lot of fun, hope to see photos of goodies you find there. What is your banana split cake? That sounds sinfully yummy!!!!
    After months of dealing with my back, its finally better and now just achy. That's ok. I figure its a good thing I can sit again since I can't walk much. LOL.

Karen

• judithva
    16 years ago

It is horrible here, my garage registered 102 degrees! I was out there all day setting up my 2 large racks I bought for my dishes, and still have more to do, I thought I was going to melt! But it will be worth it to get a good portion of my dishes/accessories organized!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judith, we finally had some relief from the heat; it was 80 here today and it felt sooo good! Hope your temp go down soon too. I envy you having lots of storage space for your dishes!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Judith, good to see you back on here. Lots of posts for you to catch up on. Glad you got your shelving so you can better organize your dishes! Will make it even easier for you to make and show your pretty tablescape creations. ;o)

Mary, I thought the northern states would be cooler. DH just told me that when we retire, we are only going to visit the southern states in the winter! LOL

Tonight we are in Wichita, Kansas. Meeting an old friend for lunch tomorrow. We've stayed in touch for over 30 years. We will be heading to Branson for a couple of days on our return part of the trip.

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Hey, Luvs, good to hear from you, and hope you are having fun.
    Judith, please come organize my dishes, I need help.
    Karen and Lori hope you are feeling better. Mary, glad you got some relief, and I hope everyone's AC is working fine.
    We had a busy weekend, and yesterday the horrific humidity broke, We went to the ocean for a few hours around 3, my kids were there, so it is fun to watch them in the waves.
    Today is a bit more humid and they say rain, which we need, the garden would cry if it had some moisture to make tears!
    Haven't heard from Sandi, so I guess no computer yet! Hope she is back on line soon.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Hi all...
    It's supposed to hover around 100 degrees here all week :^(
    It wouldn't be at all bad if it were a low humidity 100....at this point we have had so much rain that it is 80% humidity and MIserABle!!!!!! I worked in the yard yesterday afternoon for an hour or so, and I STILL feel melted!! I almost hate to go out to do errands this afternoon, but if I don't go to the bank I will be in a "heap 'o trouble"!!!
    Luvs, you be CAREFUL...it's good to see you here!!!
    Judith, it's wonderful to see you posting...been missin' you gal!!!
    I got a nice note from Sandi....she is still computerless and SAD!!!!
    Yachter, take care of yourself...pain of any kind is NO FUN!!!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was 85 here today...still hot. I found the cutest little fan at Walmart today, it is about 5 inches across and has one speed. Nice silver color and only $6!! A nice one to have by the computer as it doesn't 'blow' you away but has good output. Feels nice as I'm sitting here! Wish I had it several days ago!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OT.....Hope you all are wearing your sunscreen!!!!!! I am a believer now...I had a few spots on my nose(first one was last summer) and went to the doctor & he used Liquid Nitrogen on it. He didn't want to cut it because of where it was. It was ok until a few months ago, then I got 4 spots on my nose! He sent me to a dermatologist & I couldn't see her until a couple of weeks ago...and I was certain the news would be bad of course! But she said it was not skin cancer and had a long name(should have had her write it down) for it. Such a relief! She used the Liquid Nitrogen on it also. After that scare, I am a firm believer. I didn't use it before now, only once in a while. Sorry this is so long but just thought I would pass on a reminder to wear sunscreen!!!

• judithva
    16 years ago

mary7060, nope still hotter than heck here, but the other night we got some much needed rain (but of course with the rain came the high humidity AND heat. UGGGHHHHH

Luvs
    I got most of the shelving loaded, sweating buckets in that garage (I became thin over night due to water loss LOL)
    I think I need more shelves...it is a bit embarassing, I still have loads to go out there..this doesnt even include the good china and crystal (it stays in the house) I do have some serious issues....

Kathleen, organize your dishes?? lordy, I can barely face my own. LOL, I need two units just to put all my blue and white dishes and urns together....we won't even talk about the vases.....lidded soup pots...and then there is all the holiday stuff.....etc...etc.. My DD dropped by while I was filling up the 2 units, and of course up came the "raised eyebrow", superior smirk, with a "uhhhhhh wowwwwww, is that EVERYTHING??" I told her if she still wanted to be in my "Will"...(rather than my devoted dog Toby) that she had better drop the eyebrow and smirk and to just back away into the sunset.....

Mary, I am glad to hear that the "spot" on you is not serious! I am a big sunscreen wearer because I burned so back as a kid and young adult...It's a must have!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Judith, I am so glad you are getting your shelving in. Will make it so nice for you to easily get to things. And hey, some of us will try anything to lose a few extra pounds! LOL

Mary, I'm glad the spots were not anything serious--but you are right, we all need to be extra careful. I am so good about putting sunscreen on my little GD, but seldom think to do the same for myself! ;o(

I just went to my SIL's house. Her family room used to be dark paneling--it looks so cute now. She painted the paneling white, and put up a sunflower border. Had a friend hand paint a big sunflower on the laundry room door, and a verse on both sides of the wide doorway. So cute, I just love it. Rest of her house has lots of Americana decor. Was so fun to see. I love seeing theme rooms and all the accessories people find for them. ;o)

It rained a bit here yesterday, so very humid here in Missouri too. I was dripping wet and my makeup had completely slid off by the time we got the motor home utilities all hooked up and the awning out-hope I get more used to the climate here in a couple of days! If not, I will be spending allot of time inside! LOL

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Luvs, have you decided to be Mayor of Holidays? I will need to know how you feel about impt issues. Should we tax Judith for having too many lidded bowls etc. Afterall, we don't have them so she should pay a luxury tax...or... give them to us!
    Judith, better than Weight Watchers! I am getting outside in short bursts, but it is just too humid. Have you been to the live chat room at HTE?? I just sit there and laugh, 10 conversations going on at once etc. too funny!

• marylmi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think Judith should have a big garage sale...and we would all have first dibs! :) Judith, all of your dishes are so pretty, I wouldn't know what to grab first! lol!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

No, Kathleen, I'm afraid I should decline. Much as I appreciate the "nomination", I'm afraid I am just too mellow and laidback for any type of official "office". Besides, I'm afraid all of you know my "weaknesses" and could "bribe" me too easily! LOL

However, like all of you, I will continue to try to be a goodwill "ambassador" and recruit others to come join us in our "obsessions" over here. ;o)

Luvs

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions