SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renovirgin_gw

5K-6K budget - advice wanted

13 years ago

Okay, so I've done as much research as I feel like I can possibly do without confusing myself, and have read nearly every thread on here in the last few months. Getting close to decision time, so before I pull the trigger, I figure I'd ask for some help.

Wife and I bought a foreclosure, and we're ripping out the kitchen and starting over. This gives us a lot of flexibility in what we can do, but it's also expensive, so we're not going top of the line on appliances - we have to buy floors, cabinets, and counters too...

The one usable item in the kitchen now is a Bosch dishwasher, so we're looking for three items - refrigerator and either gas range/single wall oven or induction cooktop/double wall ovens. Have read all the pros and cons on gas versus induction and feel like I'll be happy either way. Leaning towards induction, but not 100% married to it yet.

Refrigerator - we want a counter depth french door, so am looking at the KitchenAid Architect II, since it's the largest in it's class. Also, KA seems to be pretty well regarded in refrigerators. Looks like the best I can do, either online or locally, is about $2,500 for this unit.

That leaves me with about $2,500 to $3,500 for the cooking portion of the kitchen - unless someone can talk me into reallocating funds from the refrigerator over to the range/ovens. Obviously, that eliminates all of the higher end options. From what I've seen, I could do something like the following:

GE Cafe duel-fuel 30" range ($2,000ish) with various assorted single wall convection ovens in the $1,300-$1,500 range, all of which seem pretty similar.

GE 36" induction cooktop ($1,500ish), Whirlpool 30" double oven (RBD307PVS, $1,700)

I know GE isn't always well regarded, but the Cafe range seems to get better reviews than most, and from what I've read, almost all of the induction cooktops are nearly identical in terms of quality.

If there's any alternatives I'm missing out on, I'd love to hear it. If I'm overspending on the refrigerator and should be shifting my money towards the cooking side of things, I'd love to hear that too. If I'm crazy for not buying one of your beloved BlueStar or Capital ranges while I have the chance, I'd be open to hearing an argument for that as well.

Comments (10)