SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckheadhillbilly_gw

Sound proofing for Band Room

buckheadhillbilly
13 years ago

We have a band room in our house for the musicians among us. I have been researching sound proofing and am feeling confused by it all. All kinds of music will be played in there. Weekly rock band rehearsals, occasional blue grass jams, heavy metal experiments...(help!)

Double walls were designed into the space and we filled the cavity with open cell foam. We put a little bit of open cell foam into the floor joists to see what that would do. My test of having a saxophone and acousitc guitar jam session in the room while I checked out the sound levels upstairs showed that it didn't do much.

I feel like the ceiling will be the biggest problem for inside of the house. We plan on having a dropped ceiling in there, because of all of the wires and pipes and such above. So we don't want fiberglass bats that one has to reach through if another wire has to be run in the future.

What really works? Do the clips for hanging sheetrock work? What about the heavy vinyl sheeting? Special sheetrock? Egg crate foam on top of the ceiling tiles? Is it best to approach it step wise (do a little now and see if it's enough)?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!