SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daphnar

Need help with a smelly garbage disposal!

daphnar
16 years ago

We have a Waste King batch feed garbage disposal for about a year and a half. No problems until 5-6 days ago. That's when this bad smell started wafting out of it. It gets worse every day. It looks like there is a brown film in disposal - on the walls and "floor" of the disposal.

I tried throwing in an orange, ice, plink, and a product called garbage disposal magic (not all at once :)) but it hasn't help.

I called in a plumber and he confirmed that there is nothing in the trap, it was hooked up properly, and while it did smell, it was not sewer gas. He poured down some bleach and lots of water. Didn't help.

I called the company an once they determined that it was not a manufacturer's defect, they merely suggested that I clean it. No product name was recommended other than saying that it should have "enzymes" and that they would know at my local hardware store. My local hardware store does not carry garbage disposal cleaners.

Any suggestions? The smell is getting pretty bad and if I can't fix it will have to rip out the unit. I'd appreciate all comments.

Comments (10)