SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crescent50

Porch Flooring Options

crescent50
14 years ago

We contracted for the the floor of our covered front porch to be mahogany but now I am second guessing that decision because of the maintenance issues.

Does anyone have any experience with timbertech materials or ipe wood for flooring? I think the timbertech would require that least amount of maintenance and look good for a long time but I really wanted a wood look--would ipe be better?

Opinions and pictures if possible would be helpful-- thanks!

Comments (29)

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

Timbertech might require "less" maintenance - at first - but IT AGES UGLY. And if you drop something that stains it, ItÂs ruined!.

Ipe ages beautifully IMHO (in case you do not want to maintain it).

If I were to choose between the two, I'd select IPE. It is real. Composite decking is FAKE.
    I like the real thing, and if I do not have the money I prefer pine to composite.

I do not intent to offend anyone that likes composite decking. This is only my personal preference.

• drjoann
    14 years ago

I don't know if our builder found a deal, but our deck is going to be Ipe. It was an upcharge to go to a composite.

I don't have pictures because we're not that far along. Use the search function & look for "macv". He used Ipe for the deck at his girlfriend's house & it is beautiful!

marthaelena - do you have any pictures of aged Ipe? We'd like to know where we are headed if we decide to let it age.

Thanks - Jo Ann

• drjoann
    14 years ago

Scroll to the bottom of this link and there are pictures of finished vs. aged Ipe. I still would appreciate it if anyone has other pictures to share. The ones in the link are pretty small.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipe

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the honest opinions and links to pictures.
    I am fairly certain that the ipe will be an upcharge from the mahogany but our builder seems to think that we will like it more if we are looking for a wood floor.

I don't have experience with how either material ages but the ipe looks pretty either way in my opinion. I prefer the dark brown color so it will have to be treated but I think I am ok with that.

drjoann- i wonder if you are referring to bigkahuna's girlfriend's house? I am going to search the march thread-- i remember loving how it turned out (amazing kitchen and great deck/view on the lake). If that is ipe... I know I will love it.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

Drjoann,
    I do not have pictures of aged ipe, sorry.

crescent,
    I think drjoann meant bigkahuna.
    And yes, it was ipe.

• drjoann
    14 years ago

Apologies to both of our architects for interchanging them. You are right; it was bigkahuna. And, that is a beautiful deck & house.

• homeagain
    14 years ago

We have Ipe floors on both our porches. The front is covered and the back is an open deck. We have to pressure wash and reseal the deck every year and the front porch every two years. It is beautiful when it is first done but within months begins to turn an unattractive grayish white. Even with the upkeep (two days a year, basically) I would definitely choose it again.

• User
    14 years ago

crescent50-

We used lyptus on our porch floor and ceiling and finished it with Bush Oil, we're on year 2 and it's held up very well. We're in the land of ice and snow, have 2 big stinky dogs and are hard on stuff. We also looked at ipe and the lyptus was 30%+- cheaper IIRC. One caveat, there is quite a bit of color variation, which we like and wanted, but if you want uniformity, lyptus may not be an option.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

African mahogany T&G porch decking weather almost as well as Ipe. It paints better IMO.
    We have done T&G porch floors in Ipe (unpainted) Brazilian Cherry (unpainted) and Mahogany (painted) in the last few years. The mahogany is the most dimensionally stable of all.
    Casey

• rethree
    14 years ago

I've worked with Timbertech. It looks better and is more durable IMO than the other composite wood products. Unless you use hidden fasteners, it will dimple at the screw holes. You also can't really field finish the edges - the look grainy and ugly. BUT, there's no question that Ipe is far, far, far superior in looks and workabilty. Probably same goes with the other exotic hardwoods. I don't know about durability though. Overall, composites don't compare even by a long stretch to Ipe and its companions. It's just a bit cheaper and easier to come by in general.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sandyponder- the lypus looks beautiful but I do like a more uniform look.

I got samples of timbertech in 3 shades but am still not crazy about the look of it for this space. My husband really wants a wood floor so we are leaning toward the ipe.
    The porch is covered so that should help with maintenance but I still expect to have to reseal it each year.
    BTW, the porch is 8 feet deep by 34 feet long so the cost will definitely play a big role in determining our decision. We are waiting for $$ from the builder & are designing the columns/rails now.

Does anyone have recommendations for railing systems? We are looking at aztec-- is there a big difference in quality between the systems?

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

I'm a big composite floor fan for decking but I don't think a front porch would look right. It only needs cleaning once a year, never any resealing...more dollars. IPE if stained would look out of place also, besides coming from one of the Earths few remaining rain forests. I used painted pine T&G. My railings are custom made western red cedar, painted.

• david_cary
    14 years ago

I don't know that ipe would look out of place on a front porch - it probably depends on the house. Our ipe is so beautiful, I sometimes wished we did it in front. But generally (around here) the front porch is stone or brick which is probably better for so many reasons - durability, lack of maintenance, and natural. I personally prefer stone or brick when you can but on a deck - ipe all the way. I would think mahogany might be just as expensive as ipe - but these are quite variable in time and place. Our ipe was a small upcharge from basic composite but it was less than some of the better composites.

I think the aztec railing system wound up being super expensive. We just did ipe with aluminum balisters.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of the front of the house if that makes it any easier to help visualize how ipe would look.
    House will be sided with hardiplank in a timberbark color and the stone will be bucks county cut stone. Trim will be white and lighting/door hardware will be black.

One more question while I am asking, what do you think about adding shutters to this house? If so, on which windows would you put them?

So many decisions to make.... I am really appreciative of the the opinions, advice & help.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

it's looking GREAT crescent! our porch is off to one side, much like yours and wraps around the side of the house. we're using bluestone, which will also be used on our rear covered patio. my cousin's home has a full front porch and hers is stone as well. just wanted to throw that option at you as well, in case you weren't confused enough. ; P

good luck on the remainder of your build. hope all goes smoothly!

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kate and thanks for the kind words. Things are finally starting to move along. I hope the same is true for you. I'd love to see more pictures if you have some to share ;)

Funny that you should mention stone-- the area to the right of the porch will be a step down terrace from the office and will be stone to match the bluestone walkway.
    The area behind the porch will have bucks county cut stone so I wanted to use a wood material for the flooring but I'm wondering if I should use bluestone there too? Too much??
    Hmm??

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

nope. i don't think it would be too much at all. just following through and connecting the areas. i think it would look great, but it would be difficult to mess up such a great looking home! let us know what you go with ...and YOU post more pics!

the guys have actually moved inside to work on ceiling and trim ...and finally tile! waiting for our hardwood floors too. we're looking around for some free dirt so we can fill around the foundation. do you have any??! LOL, we need our well and septic also but i'm in no hurry as i have just been told we will probably need to vacate our temporary house when that happens as they may need to disconnect the existing facilities (???!!!). whatever...

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kate-- do you have any pictures of your cousin's house or inspiration for yours? my husband is traveling but I'd love to have some to show him. We need to check out some materials in person & make a decision this weekend.

I posted a few more pictures on the April progress post but we are doing a walk-thru on saturday for a final check before they close up the walls. I will definitely be taking pictures.

Congrats on the inside work staring-- very exciting stuff.
    Unfortunately, no dirt to share-- we have lots that needs to be moved around too. Retaining wall in the back for the walk out basement and lots of grading in the front. Hopefully that will start this week.

Hold off on that septic as long as you can-- having to move out of our temp. place before the house is done is my biggest fear. I have nightmares about our family living in a hotel room - LOL

If anyone else has pictures of stone porches, I'd love to see them and thanks again for any help :)

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Based on suggestions, here are 3 pictures.
    Opinions on what you think would look best would be appreciated- Thanks!

Porch with a Wood Floor ( We would need to choose either mahogany or ipe)
    http://www.eplans.com/image-gallery.hwx/Q/Plan.HWEPL06871/ImageId.424432

Porch with a Wood Floor & Stone Steps leading to a Paver Terrace
    http://www.eplans.com/image-gallery.hwx/Q/Plan.HWEPL02551/ImageId.401573

Porch with a Stone Floor ( Ours would not be as craftsman- it would have white columns but the picture shows stone on the wall and floor. The wall behind our porch will also be stone (bucks county cut stone)
    http://www.eplans.com/image-gallery.hwx/Q/Plan.HWEPL14530/ImageId.444629

If anyone could help me with embedding the pictures into the post, I would appreciate it.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

All options are nice but as you have the porch, option one is the easiest and cheapest.
    Option 2 is maybe the way I'd go, specially if you are going to use railing.
    In order to use option 3 you will need to build a frost wall/concrete stoop so they can install the stone over it. It will not look quite the same as the picture since it does not have the railing. I wonder why the frost wall was not built at the time they built the foundation.

Can you explain how the porch roof/porch deck are attached?
    It looks pretty weak.

Here is a link that might be useful: the option I like

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

sorry, no pics. but if either of us end up moving out we'll meet up at the CN inn...

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Kate- I'll be there next weekend for drinks before a dance recital at Brookdale. Should I leave some dirt by the door for you??

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

Crescent - Beautiful house. I love the look of the wood one (2nd one that Marthaena posted). I don't know where you are building, but I'm in MN and I find wood tough to keep looking nice on a front porch. We tend to get too much salt or sand from vehicles in the winter. Because of the maintenance, I would opt for stone or stained and stamped concrete. BTW, we just put on a Timbertech XLM deck in desert bronze. It looks fabulous, but it's not real wood. It has a very nice grain to it, but definitely doesn't FEEL like wood. I think if you went with stone risers/steps and the XLM on the flooring it would look great.

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

Sandyponder - That lyptus floor is gorgeous! I didn't know it could be used outdoors. Beautiful space!

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

let me ask you something ...have you seen my house IRL? i'm only asking because whenever i go somewhere and have to give my address they usually ask, "are you building that new house?"

i haven't seen yours, but there is one not far from me i THOUGHT could be it ...but it's not.

anyway, if you're driving by and happen to see it PLEASE STOP BY and say hello!

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

Crescent, Yes the house I did for GF is IPE. Like most natural products you will still have some work to keep the deeper brown look if you choose that. Ipe has been on Atl. City Boardwalk for 20 plus years if I am not mistaken. It has basically about a 50 year life if left untreated upwards of 100 if treated ( from what I have read) It is one of the hardest woods available. If left untreated you will see it "grey out to a grey patina " if you can imagine. Many prefer the treated look. I prefer the hidden fasteners if possible but some have concerns because they only get one screw per board / joist: vs 2 screws if face screwing it. Hidden just looks awesome. On smaller deck with samller spans you might be just fine. Many claim you should have good ventilation under to allow it to breath so to speak. If doing white trim and spindles. I would highly suggest using cellular pvc. You should be able to get it in 2x2 that you can cut to length. The rest of the posts and trim can be done with it also. Its very low if not no maintainence. We used it for whole house trim as well as columns and post trim on deck. Can be shaped, cut routhed just like wood. Just research gluing and connection methods. No paint required at all if you dont like. If treating Ipe you might investigate http://www.woodrich-brand.com/

http://www.abswood.com/ was great for pricing and service on the IPE

Sandy...I do love the lyptus... Have investigated in the past but never had anyone use it yet.

Good Luck

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bigkahuna for the advice and good wishes. I definitely would treat it & we did talk to the builder about using white cellular pvc for the trim and spindles.

crazyhouse -Thanks for the compliment. We are planning for stone steps/risers.

marthelena- Option 2 seems to be the direction we are headed in. I didn't see your post until after we were with the builder. I don't know how it is attached but the area underneath will be filled with dirt. I will have to check on details.

kate- nope-- my family lives in Monmouth County & it's where I grew up so that is why I am familiar. i did think of you this summer though on my way to the sprayground at Dorbrook Park... maybe I drove by your place without even knowing it!
    We are building in Union County-- New Providence/Berkeley Heights area. If make it to this neck of the woods, come on by :)

• ponydoc
    14 years ago

Hi crescent50!

Your home is just lovely! I have very similar tastes.

I will see if I can dig up some pics from an old thread.

We have about 1000 sq ft in covered porches and we used IPE. We have now treated it 3 times in 3 years and the color is awesome! The only issue we have is our dogs and our mud -muddy footprints. We live on a farm and that is life. I will try to get some new updated pics.

Our home is somewhat like yours in style. We decided against shutters.

We are also going to do stone front steps... not done yet! We have torn down an old farm house on our property and are going to use the foundation stones for our steps. Should happen this summer!

Off to find pics if I can.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi ponydoc! Thanks for the compliment. I have been looking at & admiring our house on GW for the past 2 years. So many beautiful features (love your floors!) and that clutter room is too die for! Unfortunately, I found this site too late to make mine better:( Oh well- anything is better than the pile of jackets/shoes/backpacks and sports equipment I trip on at the door now- LOL

I'd love to see pictures of your porches so appreciate your taking a look. It will be great to see the finish on the ipe after 3 years of hard wear and tear. Besides it will give me a good look at your exterior.
    I am struggling with the shutter decision but figure it will be easier to decide once the hardi/stone is up.

Thanks again.