SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

Wood floor cleaning

cearab
16 years ago

I am so tired of the cleaning I have to do with my wood floors. Is there a better way? First, I have gas forced hot air heat in my house, which does generate lots of dust. Second, a cat and a dog. I am constantly seeing dust balls rolling around all over the place. So, before I wash the floors, I use a dry Pledge mop to get up the hair and dust balls. Then, I wash the floors using warm water with white vinegar and a few drops of Dawn. I use a very well wrung out cloth mop. The floors dry fairly quickly, but what a pain. I was reading about those steam mops and saw one on an infomercial on TV. Would this work? What about all the dust/hair? Comments/suggestions/what do you do? TIA

Comments (26)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Tia , Hi!! It's Ree from the decorating forum..get a steam mop..you will love it..fast and easy and your floors are really clean..you have to give a quick vacuum before you steam..but it's still much better than the old bucket and mop..read the H20 post..a lot is explained on there..a few of has the Shark..I like it, but CS is horrible..you may not have a problem with them at this point (I hope) There is another gal who ordered the Bissell..haven't heard how she likes it yet, or don't know if she even got hers yet..but some one did write, with the Bissell, you have to hold down a trigger to make the steam come out..The shark isn't like that..it's continuous steam..it comes out as you are mopping..I think they all do the same thing, just different styles .. if you have any more questions..feel free to ask
    Ree

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I would suggest that you vacuum your floors using a wide brush attachment. It will do a much better job of removing the dirt and furballs than a Swiffer or other type mop, and you may find that you only rarely have to clean the floor with water.

I lived in my previous house for 13 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I cleaned my floors with water. I have lived in my current house for a year and haven't cleaned the wood floors, except to spot clean for drool (two adults, one big messy dog). The wooden floors in both houses had a poly finish.

Use carpet runners at the doorways to capture dirt from muddy feet and paws to reduce the amount of dirt that gets to the wood floors.

And just to be clear, don't get the beater bar of an upright vacuum anywhere near your wood floors.

• Related Discussions

Help! Choosing floors for new house...

Q

Comments (3)
    Sorry Glenn, just now seeing your response. The builder has a fear that the electrical conduit may at a later time resurface in another area close by the area that is already surfacing. The builder would much rather spend less money on stained floors than wood floors, but due to this concern we have decided wood may be best.
    ...See More

The best way to clean....

Q

Comments (67)
    Re. Murphy's Oil Soap: For polyeurethaned hardwood floors you should NOT use Murphy's Oil Soap. The company I use for screen-and-coat touch-ups specifically asked if I had used Murphy's because evidently if it has been used the screen-and-coat won't finish properly. They say to only use vinegar and warm water and a mop or cloth wrung until almost dry. I have no idea if this applies to engineered hardwoods. HTH.
    ...See More

How to Clean Wood Floors Not Cleaned in a Long Time

Q

Comments (3)
    In my opinion, you don't need either of those two items. I'm assuming your hardwood has a polyurethane (or similar) coating. If there is any doubt about that, there are tests you can do to find out. The most important thing is to vacuum the flooring well. Then you can mop the floor with a damp floor mop using a mild cleaning solution in water. I'm a big fan of steam mops for ceramic tile, and a steamer may not damage the wood floors. But depending what has been applied to the floor in the past, you could have a huge mess on your hands if you use a steamer. Better not to go down that road.
    ...See More

Lazy woman's wood floor cleaning

Q

Comments (4)
    Good, but why stop there. Open up a door, put a huge fan in that door blowing IN on HIGH. Open up a door across the house and put another jumbo fan blowing OUT (on High) Read a magazine for 10 minutes. Get some duct tape booties for one dog and a swifter for the other dog.
    ...See More
  • livvysmom
    16 years ago

I feel your pain. I think you are cleaning them the right way except maybe vacuuming before will help more than a "swiffer" type tool. My floors have to be cleaned with a damp mop because they are in the kitchen -- I have not just dust but drips, stickiness, footprints, etc... Just a vacuum or swiffer would do nothing.

PS: I would never use a steam mop on a real wood floor -- just my opinion. I am sure if you check with the manufacturer of your floor they would agree.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Tia..I really do not under stand how people can tell you not to use something when they never tried it them selves???? We are here to share tips in what we have USED and liked/ disliked, thats all.. I am not trying to talk you into using a steam mop by any means..I have been using one for years now and I can vouch no damage has been done to my wood floors. My wood floors in most of this house are 120 years old..they are in great shape. We had them refinished when we first moved in and our wood guy told me it was fine. They designed the steam mop for use on wood floors. What is damaging to wood is getting them very wet. The steam mop doesn't "wet" them..it's "damp" for a matter of a minute and then they are as dry as a bone, no water damage. the important benefit is your floors are CLEAN ..germs and bacteria are killed.. everyone has their own way of doing things, I may not clean like a lot of people, or may not feel I would do it their way..but that would be just my opinion..not right or wrong, as there is no right way/ wrong way..it's what ever works for you. I love a clean house..but I really don't like spending a lot of time doing it, so I found what is effective (the most important) but fast. I love my steam mop and I would not know what to do with out one! Ree

• sniffmeister
    16 years ago

We give ours a quick pass over with the vacuum and then use the OM mop from Method (you can get it online or at Target). It's a mop with a microfiber cloth and comes with some cleaner that you squirt on the floors and then go over with the mop a few times. We use the "Wood for Good" cleaner.

We live in an apartment from 1941 and the floors look better than I've ever seen them since we started using this system. We used to use the wet Swiffer clothes, but they generated so much waste for the environment.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

sniffmeister..hmmm..thats sounds good also! Question..does the "wood for good" leave any type of residue? second is it a "natural cleaner"? I love micro fiber cloths..I use them a lot all around the house..my steam mop has a micro fiber pad and it really picks the dirt up..amazing product!thanks, Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Tia..go to the H20 mop posts..go all the way near the bottom and read eop2000 post from yesterday..she just got hers a week ago and has been using it..even on her wood floors..(just to hear someone else's view on it who is also new to steam cleaning) Ree

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

Here is the opinion of one person who ordered a steam mop--me. Don't. What a hassle. Constantly stopping to run and refill the water. Going back and forth and back and forth over spills waiting for the 'steam' to loosen it. Muddy footprints, stop mopping and clean them first or you will be replacing the mop pad several times in one room. My hardwood floor suddenly developed squeaks. The steam is not very hot when it hits the floor so forget about the sanitizing and dissolving grime.

Here's the kicker. They don't really let you return the mop for a full refund. I returned mine and waited and waited for my credit. Finally I contacted my credit card company and told them the product had been returned (be sure to keep the proof of return shipping). I'm confident Visa will persuade them to refund.

There is an excellent reason you won't see these in every home, or even in a tiny percent of homes. Gimmick.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

bean_counter_z4
    May I ask what brand mop you purchased and how long ago? I am in total disagreement.. may it be possible you got a "lemon" out of the bunch??? I am on my 3rd steam mop..the steam in all three I had/have comes out very hot and powerful.. cleans everything off my floors..even the "sticky stuff" from my kids... especially the shark. I have to be honest..nearly all my friends and family members went to steam mops..each one of them just loves it. So sorry you had a bad first experience, as I can see how it puts a bad taste in your mouth. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, it's not normally like that at all. Ree

• sniffmeister
    16 years ago

Reeree, we've been using the wood for good for about 3 months now and I haven't noticed a residue yet. I remember that the swiffer wet sometimes made our floors sticky, but this stuff dries so quickly and makes our floors shine! We like the microfiber mop heads that the OM mop comes with, and love that we're not throwing away 2-3 swiffer pads each time we clean (we have a REALLY small place).

The OM mop also has other pads that you can buy and "other surface" cleaners. So we will use the mop and do all our hardwood floors with the brown microfiber and wood for good, and then do our kitchen and bathroom with the blue microfiber and the yellow cleaner.

The wood cleaner is almond scented (their dusting spray is as well and smells lovely) and smells like sugar cookies when you're using it. It tends to fade away in about 10-15 min. The yellow surface cleaner smells like lemon verbena and also fades quickly so that you house smells clean but not like chemicals.

Yes, method is a natural cleaner and is a well-known "green" company. Here is their website if you'd like to read more: http://www.methodhome.com/

Sarah

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi Sarah

Thank you for the info! ..I took a look at the web site..I didn't even know Method made a natural wood floor cleaner! I use their hand soap in the bathroom (the clear one) I am wondering if I can use it with my steam mop? The steam mop works great..but it just cleans..doesn't add shine to it..it's just an all natural way of cleaning.. my wood floors are very old (120 years) I had them refinished in a mat polyurethane to go with the house..there is a sheen to them, but were never 'glossy'. I do have to watch for scents , as my kids have allergies..that's when I went all natural, perfume and dye free. My daughter is very sensitive to "strong" perfume/chemical smells..but if it doesn't linger and it's mild..I am sure it will be fine. I am actually going to target in a little while..I will look and see if they have it in stock. I will let you know if I get it.
    Thanks again!
    Ree

• sniffmeister
    16 years ago

Ree,

I haven't used a steam mop before, but I do know I like all the products that Method has.

My husband and I both have bad allergies (my husband's are so bad that we call him "bubble boy") and these products don't affect him at all.

Let me know how you like the products!

Sarah

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Sarah
    I went to Target and I bought it! I also got the furniture cleaner "wood for good" .".cleans, polish and protects", along with the brown micro fiber dusting cloth. I did try the furniture one and I really like it! no residue, non greasy ..just clean with a nice shine! The almond does not linger at all.. Have you also tried it? Tomorrow I am going to try it on my wood floors .. I am sure it will bring a nice luster to them. The one thing I can honestly say I didnÂt like in the Method brand was their stainless steel cleaner.. it was the worst of them all. I now use just plain water and a micro fiber cloth and it works the best!

Thank you once again for introducing me to their wood care product line.. I will drop a line after I do my floors !

Ree

• sniffmeister
    16 years ago

Ree,

Yes we use the furniture polish and love it! We don't have stainless steel but I've always been interested in see how their product holds up. I've also heard that a little olive oil on a microfiber cloth works great for stainless steel but have never had a chance to see if it works.

We did the floors last night and withing 5 min you couldn't smell the scents anymore which we really like.

I'm glad you like the products; happy cleaning!

Sarah

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Sarah
    I tried it! First I steamed my floors..then I used wood for good . I didn't buy the OM mop, so I used my steam mop with a clean dry micro fiber cloth with out the steam..talk about squeaky clean! No residue or smears.. non greasy.. perfectly clean..a really nice product! (and yes, the scent does not linger.. which I like..I haven't used anything with a scent in years.. I do not like to smell cleaners.. just a "clean air" smell )
    So thank you again! It was nice "meeting " you!
    Ree
    PS..love the furniture spray..wonderful!
    and thanks for the olive oil tip..I have read that before, but believe me, plain water and the cloth works beautiful..very clean with no "residues" I'll leave the olive oil for my cooking...lol!!!!!!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    16 years ago

I went to Target today to look for this OM mop, but unfortunately they did not carry it. Lots of other mops; at least 3 other micro-fiber ones. What is the manufacturer? I googled it yesterday and came up with nothing.

Can anyone describe it so I can look for something similar?

• partyofsix
    16 years ago

I just went to Target today and did see the mop. The problem you had may be because it doesn't look like a mop. It is packaged in a cool compact plastic case. If you look on the website you will know what to look for and may be able to find it at your target. It was not with the other mops. Instead it was on the top shelf above all the other Method brand cleaning aids. And it is called OMOP. Online the mop kit is $30 and at Target it was $24.99. I thought about it but I think I am going to order the Shark Steam mop instead. I have Mannington Laminate Wood flooring throught my entire main floor so I am hoping the steam mop will be faster and easier. Good luck finding the Omop.

Here is a link that might be useful: methodhome.com

• sniffmeister
    16 years ago

Ree,

Glad you like the mop! Method is a good company and carries products I like a lot. The microfiber cloths that you can get to go with the furniture cleaner is great; we have a ton of the generic ones but also like keeping color coded ones for specific tasks.

Linnea, partyofsix is right, it doesn't look like a mop because it's in a package. At my Target it is above the swiffer wet refills.

• housemama22
    16 years ago

Ree,
    I was reading a lot of your postings last night regarding the shark steam mop and I'm so interested. However, got the eye roll from the husband, so I'll work on it.

In any case, you stated that you like to use chemical free stuff. I too have the Method hand soap in my house and love the scents and have used their cucumber cleaning wipes. Lately, I'm having second thoughts about them based on the report from the Environmental Working Group and their "Skin Deep" cosmetics safety database. They have been testing a ton of toiletry products and rating them based on their health hazard. Their hand soap products rated a 5 which is a moderate health hazard, but they use things like Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which is not an environmentally friendly substance, so I'm confused by their marketing and intentions. I thought the OM Mop looked interesting too and was considering trying it assuming it was light on the chemicals, if not chemical free.

Not trying to sway anyone, just thought if you're concerned about what you're cleaning with, you might want to know. If you're interested in the Skin Deep report, go to http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/.

Tracy

• moemoe2007
    16 years ago

Ree,

I too like to use only "green" products in my home. I never new you could use a steam cleaner on hardwood floors. My husband just installed Mohawk engineered wood. So you think it is safe on that? I was using Bi-O-Kleen spray and wipe on the bottom of a microfiber cloth. I was just at Big Lots and saw a shark steamer for only $49.oo maybe I will go back at pick it up.

Thanks for the advice.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi Tracy
    Thank you for the research site on Method, I have to take a look. Very interesting info.! You really have to be careful when you buy "all natural" products. I do not use Method hand soap exclusively, believe it or not, what I normally use is Seventh Generation free and clear dish soap. I fill my soap dispensers up with it..it works great and gentle on skin. I use a lot of seventh generation products (all free and clear) and I am pretty happy with it! As you probably have read, I love steam cleaning. That will always be my number one favorite. I did try the 'wood for good' ..I actually liked it..but not in place of my steam mop..I liked it as a "treatment" for the floors..they were shiny and very clean with no residue or film..it has a slight almond scent that does not linger in the air. I was happy about that because I am not a 'chemical smell in my air person' it's worth a try for sure..I think you should try it (that is as your talking hubby into the mop) keep me posted! Ree

moemoe2007
    yes! a steam mop is great on wood floors..I really don't know what 'engineered wood' is though..is it real hard wood pre finished? Thats what we have in the kitchen and breakfast room and the mop works great in there. maybe call the manufacturers and ask them first?? As far as the shark for 49.99..?? are you talking a hand held steamer, or did you find a steam mop for that price? I personally did not like the shark hand held steamer at all, I actually threw it right out..I would go with the Scunci from target (thats what I have) or you can buy it on line... http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/scunci_steamer.html or on QVC there is a hand held one, it's yellow, about 43.00. ( McCulloch 900 Watt Handheld Steam Cleaner) out of the two..I like the scunci better..it is much more powerful and holds more water, but the QVC one really isn't that bad either ... http://www.qvc.com/qsearch/search.aspx keep me posted! Ree

partyofsix
    did you try the brillo or fabric softener sheets yet???????? Ree

• mnmbiz
    16 years ago

Hi reeree or anyone with a steam mop,

We recently bought an 85 year old house that has beautiful Oak floors that are in pretty good condition actually (previous owners though had a dog). A few increased wear spots, but overall pretty good considering the age. When there are water spills, it beads nicely so I believe that there has been some treatment to them. I just bought an H20 Mop from Thane - I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to make sure that I don't damage the floors. we have two young kids and want to make sure things are clean.

Any thoughts on re-sealing?

How often would anyone suggest to use the steam mop?
    Thanks!

• redshoe
    16 years ago

The Method brand wood floor cleaner is leaving my floor spotty--anyone else having this experience?

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

mnmbiz
    congrats on your new home! The steam mop is great on wood floors, but just make sure they are sealed. Maybe call a floor guy in to take a look and he can recommend if your floors are sealed or if they need it..you don't want to damage beautiful old wood floors. Once that's accomplished, you can steam away and enjoy the ease of washing your floors and know they are very clean for your little ones..keep us posted! Enjoy your mop!
    Ree

redshow
    I have only used Method "wood for good" one time. It didn't leave the floor spotty at all and actually they were clean with a nice shine. Maybe when you put it on the floor, you missed some and didn't get it with the micro fiber cloth?? Thats the only thing that I can think of that may have happen..other than that..I really don't know why you are getting spotty floors..maybe the next time squirt it on the pad instead of directly on the floor..that may help! Ree

• partyofsix
    16 years ago

Ree,
    Yes I did try the Brillo with Oxy. Wow, amazing idea. I kinda went crazy and did the whole shower in addition to just the glass door. I didn't have to scrub hard at all and all the soap buildup came off so easily. Thanks so much. Still haven't ordered my steam mop from Shark yet, But I'm going to.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

partyofsix
    oh good!! I am so glad you found it easy and effective! I am sure your shower is gleaming! (smile) I have tried nearly everything on the market back when, and I truly felt this was the best..also not having to use harsh chemicals is a huge plus. Did you happen to try the fabric softener sheets yet?

You will love the steam mop! If you read the "new" H20 posts, Gail wrote that she loves it.. let me know if you get it..would love to hear how you like it!
    talk soon!
    Ree