SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupajoe_gw

Review on a couple of vaccuums

cupajoe
19 years ago

I've used Kenmore tank vaccuums for years,and while they are a quality product,as I age their weight is taking it's toll on me.Additionally,I feel that they are not made as well as they used to be,and Sears loves to give me a battle over the repair warrenties when I do bring them in.For the past two years I have tried to keep the total vaccuum weight under ten pounds.The top of the list is Kenmore's magic blue.Love the way it breaks from wand to upholstery.Hate its very breakable parts.It has a typical life of four to six months being used on two houses a day.Not great on barefloor,but the convenience of a one switch button between carpet and floor almost make up for it.The wand extends for height adjustment.Price still sits around $150 for it unless it's on sale.

A friend told me about the forty dollar Eureka Ralley and I decided to try it.It had a ten month life,although I have administered cpr in the form of duct tape more than once.Terrific for bare floors,under ten pounds,lowest profile of any vaccuum I've ever used.What this means is that it fits under almost every single piece of furniture with ease.On the minus side,there are no push in button and holes to hold its many parts together.That means that it frequently comes unassembled while working.The floor head has a button that raises or lowers a brush for floor or carpet use.The head really only works well with the brush up all the time,and after ten months the button clicks down when I don't want it to.A replacement head is twenty bucks for one small piece.May as well replace the vaccuum.Not the greatest on carpet,but certainly adequate.Loved that the floor head was real wide.Loved the extension handle which adjusts for height.Walmart no longer sells this for forty,and the cheapest online price to date is $56.Still a bargain for the money in my opinion.I would rather have a vaccuum I can tape back together than one that needs surgery in a repair shop each time.Oh yeah,one more plus (for me anyway).There is no beater bar,thus I don't have to unassemble the head and unwind my waist long hair from the bar everytime I vaccuum my own house,as I must with any of the Kenmore's.I realize,however,that many people prefer the beater bar.

Onto that ubiquitous Shark that seems to be everywhere.The first one that I tried was a tank with the hepa filter. I paid $89 at Target for it.Dyson's ad is right .After about a week the stupid hepa filter was clogged beyond belief,affecting the suction power.The filter doesn't involve merely tapping into the garbage.It involved a process closer to beating the bijeezus out of it for twenty minutes after each homecleaning.Even though I also brushed the dirt out,the filter was useless after a month.I returned it to where I bought it.A vaccuum should work longer than a month.

Another friend called me to preview her Shark stickvac.She was really excited about it's performance(I know,I know..we cleaners get excited over stuff that would bore your average housewife to tears).Since she only uses top of the line equipment,I was suprised at her enthusiasm for a forty dollar cheapy.I immediately made a date to preview,and although I have a few reservations,I bought one yesterday.It has great suction on barefloor and is the best little vaccuum for grabbing dust out of the corners.The suction on this baby is incredible.Almost too strong to do a house of carpet,because there is no way to regulate the suction,as there is with both the Rally and the Magicblue.The profile on this vaccuum is extremely high,so plan on carrying a long handled duster to reach under furniture.Although it breaks down into a chore vaccuum for upholstery cleaning,the process is inconvenient enough to make it essential that you do all these chores first,then reassemble and do the floors.Love the weight,love the carrying handle.The filter on this one has a cover,so hopefully it won't clog up the way the other one did.

We are currently searching for the Shark stick vaccuum that has a seperate switch for carpet cleaning.At 110 pounds,I am not heavy enough to push your average hepa filter vaccuum across a house full of carpet without throwing my back out.

I would be interested in any vaccuum reviews,especially for those under $120.I've discovered that the high end vaccuums break down to often to justify the price for my purposes.Thanks,Sandy

Comments (22)