SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tnag3

siding decision: hardi, nucedar (pvc) and apex (fiberglass)

tnag3
11 years ago

I have been reading through the post regarding siding. There are a number of them but many are old.

We are remodeling our Colonial to add space on back and side and about doubling our square footage. One of the big decisions that we have is the type of siding.

We had spec'd Hardiplank. However, the building really doesn't want to install it because:

1. It is heavy
2. It comes in only 12 ft lengths making the butts more prevalent
3. The implications on "perfect" installations to remove the liklihood of water damage.

The cost of the overall remodel is close to $500k, so as the home owner, I'm very interested in a siding that looks fantastic but also one that has fewer maintenance items (the rest of my house is brick)

So here are the questions:

1. Other than the ones or twosies of problems hardiboard has had, is it a sound product which will work well in NE (I'm in Philly) with snow etc.?
2. We have considered using a NuCedar (PVC) product instead of hardiboard. It looks substantial, much lighter and has a very good line.
3. We have considered APEX (a fiberglass product) which has a look more like vinyl to me, but seems to be a good product (no expansion, solid color etc)

If 2 or 3 are good products, add to the house value and look (e.g. doesn't reduce price because it is vinyl), then the low maintence of these products is very appealing.

Any help on this would be great as we have to decide in the next week.

The cost seems to be like the following:

1. Hardiboard aroud $350 per square
2. NuCedar 30% more on materials, but slightly less on install
3. APEX I don't know yet.

thanks.

Comments (17)