SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madmadscientist

Need Hood Advice for Range With Grill

madmadscientist
12 years ago

Hello All,

New member here coming over from a couple of tradesmen message boards where they said that this was THE place to get this kind of info.

I have a Wolf R364C Range. Thats the 4 burners with the grill in the middle 36" wide.

At a previous house we had this stove with a 24" deep VAH and it could not keep up when we grilled marinated veggies, which we do often in the winter. It also was REALLY loud I thought, motor + air noise.

I've done some research and here is what I think would be the best setup for our situation.

36" wide by 27" deep hood with a 900cfm max airflow placed at no more than the max 36" above the stove. I know it would be better to go wider on the hood but we just can't because of space limitations.

With a remote mounted fan unit mounted to an exterior wall and an infinetely adjustable fan speed. I will use 10" venting that will go up from the hood approx 6' have one elbow then shoot over 20' to the exterior wall.

My research has led me to believe that this is the most quietest with the required cfm answer? How does that strike everyone?

I know that this is not going to be a cheap thing to do and I am fine with that reality....mostly.

Right now I have one quote for a Wolf setup.

Hood PW362718 $2039

Motor (1200CFM) 801642 $789

What other manf should I be looking at?

I don't know who makes quality stuff and who makes junk....I've looked online a bit but I'm just overwhelmed at the choices.

With the required spec's above can anyone offer other alternatives?

I'd especially like to know where I can find the sone ratings for these hoods? I spoke with Wolf's 'ventilation tech expert' who claimed that they didn't know what the sone readings where for their hoods??? That just blew me away.....$3k for a vent setup and they can't tell you how loud its going to be....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mads

Comments (12)