SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecf1216_gw

Range vs. Cooktop/Ovens?

ecf1216
13 years ago

I will be replacing a 30" electric range in our kitchen remodel. I'm looking at a couple of configuration options, and would love to get input from the helpful, more experienced people on this site.

I'd like a gas cooktop and two ovens. I see a few options:

*30" gas range plus one electric/convection wall oven -- the downside here is that I think I'd like 5-6 burners

*36" gas range with an electric/convection wall oven -- the downside on this one is that the large oven is going to take longer to heat and be bigger than I really need

*36" gas cooktop with two electric/convection wall ovens -- the downside on this is the loss of a gas oven

I haven't yet priced these different scenarios, so that could be a factor as well.

I'm interested to hear what any of you think about these options. I've never had a gas oven; will I wish I had one if I don't go with it? I hear good things about roasting and baking with gas. I originally thought the 30" gas range with electric wall oven would offer the "best of both worlds," but have been noticing lately how nice it would be to have more burners. Seems like a 36" range is really a lot of range -- or is that just because it's more than I'm familiar with?

It sure is easy to get going around in circles with these decisions!

I should probably mention that I cook for a family of four -- me, DH and two sons (10 and 13). I cook "normal" family meals most of the time, and like to cook a little more elaborately for fun. Not a lot of fancy baking, but definitely cookies, cakes, pies, etc. from time to time.

Comments (2)