SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
panchoandlefty_gw

Quick Help! Bosch Panel Ready Dishwasher Door

panchoandlefty
15 years ago

I'm so annoyed I can't see straight. Just got in a full blown arguement with the dishwasher installer.

Here is the deal. My old Bosch dishwasher was leaking and having troubles. We are in the design phase of doing a new kitchen anyway, so instead of repairing it, we thought it made more sense to go ahead and buy/install its replacement (a Bosch Integra panel ready) and just use it w/o panels for a couple of months.

Yesterday, they brought the new dishwasher and hauled off the old one. As the guy was pulling out of the driveway, I was fiddling with the new DW and noticed that it closed very, very, very hard. Like, it snaps shut so fast that it would hurt your hand if it was in the way.

I ran into the driveway and w/o coming in to look, the guy just said that it was that way because it didn't have a panel to weigh it down. In the moment, this made sense so I returned to the house. I thought it might have a rubber band in it that needed to be removed or something. Within a few moments, I realized that the hinges were so tight that I had to put a large, Le Creuset cast iron 12" skillet and a Pyrex dish on the bottom rack JUST to hold it open. And it still kept creeping up.

I might expect that when fully opened, but when opened LESS than 45 degrees, it snaps shut like with TIGHT elastic. I just can't imagine that this is normal. I called the appliance store. The manager agreed that it didn't sound right, but the installer guy just called and said he wasn't coming out to fix it because he thinks it is supposed to be this way and can't be adjusted.

That said, he doesn't have experience with other panel-ready Bosch's. What the heck? He even argued with me that I had never opened one before! Huh?

Huh? I am about to spend 20K with this company! If I say there is something wrong, I expect them to come out!

Prior to buying this DW, I messed with a Bosch panel-less panel-ready in the store which DID NOT do this...

OK, I know the weight of a panel will make a difference, but can anyone tell me if it is "normal" for a Bosch Integra w/o a panel to violently slam shut? I don't expect it to stay open on its own, but this just doesn't seem right.

My panels are going to be very, very light. Valcucine's DeMode. It would take something REALLY hefty to slow this baby down. I

Thank you.

Stephanie

Comments (29)

• llaatt22
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What did Bosch say when you called them?

• Related Discussions

question on using panel ready bosch 800 dishwasher without panel

Q

Comments (6)
    There are adjustment screws for the door panel located in the front, by the feet (look at the install manual). You can temporarily loosen the tension, and then tighten again when the panel is applied. It should be in your install kit. Otherwise, as Whit461 points out, it will not stay down properly. You can probably just use some colored plastic with velcro strips if the grey color disturbs you, or you can order a stainless panel from Bosch (their web site sells parts and accessories directly).
    ...See More

Need assistance on sizing for 800 Series Bosch Panel Ready Dishwasher

Q

Comments (4)
    mholtz, I went through this install process, and learned a few things. I'll show you what I did and hopefully it will make it easier for you. First, the easy part... 1/8" at the sides should be fine. I used about 3/16" but it would work with 1/8". The Bosch panel template assumes a few things. First, it assumes that you will mount the dishwasher as high as it will go, up against the bottom of the counter. And that you will mount the wood panel flush with the top of the dishwasher door. If you install it like that with a door taller than 30 1/8", it will bind at the bottom baseboard when opening. The bottom is where the problem with the taller panel occurs. However, for best appearance you want your panel taller, to match the bottom and top of the adjacent doors and/or drawer stacks, with a consistent gap under the counter edge. You should get your panel made to that height, ignoring the 30 1/8" limit. To make this work however, you need to mount the dishwasher lower, with the wood panel higher than the door, to allow it to fully open. It's tough to explain in words, so I made a couple of diagrams. Example 1 is following the template directions, but a taller door binds at the bottom. Example 2 is what I ended up doing to accommodate the taller panel.
    ...See More

Dishwasher panel-ready recommendation - help!

Q

Comments (7)
    Bosch makes one, and we've been pleased with our Bosch. One thing to consider about custom panels for any kind of appliance is that the size needed for the panel may change over the years. When the dishwasher (or fridge in our case) needs to be replaced the original panels may not fit the new appliance. It can be difficult to have a replacement panel made in the future. I searched a lot of websites when we needed to replace a fridge with panels. Even the same brand and generally same model needed different sizes of panels. Our cabinet maker has since retired so it wasn't an option to have new ones made for us as we needed a fridge immediately. Ended up with stainless and will try to replace the rest of the built in appliances with stainless as they die.
    ...See More

Bosch panel ready dishwasher - panel door too tall

Q

Comments (6)
    @hallettco I used an Amish cabinet maker - just measured and the finish height is 34 1/2" but the toe kick is only 3 3/4" - so that's the discrepancy. Apparently these are the specs he always uses, but they don't make sense when trying to have a dishwasher that coordinates with the cabinets and toe kicks. I'm surprised he didn't run into issues before, even with dishwashers that aren't panel ready the toe kicks of the cabinets and dishwasher wouldn't align. Or other clients didn't care or notice... Didn't think I needed to specify the toe kick height with him since that's typically standardized. What type of filler did you use on that dishwasher? I did a google search but mostly ran across fillers for ranges. Or I need to track down those sliding hinges. That seems like a decent option if I can find them. Thanks for the help!
    ...See More
  • panchoandlefty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

At first, the sales manager scheduled a service call to loosen the springs/hinges. He said that they were adjustible to work with different weights of panels.

An hour before he was supposed to arrive the (very rude) service guy called to say there was no point in him coming out because it was impossible to adjust the hinges on a Bosch.

Anyway, I just called Bosch to confirm. They were lovely and informed me that ALL of their dishwashers can be adjusted.

I'm calling the sales manager and asking if he can send out a DIFFERENT person to fix it. I am blown away.

Stephanie

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

If you click on the link and check the installation instructions near item #24 there is a diagram which shows exactly what must be done on an example dishwasher. The installation instruction sheet that came with your appliance should be similar. If the two screws are already in all the way that would be the highest tension "safety" position to keep the drawer from slamming down while installing a heavy cover panel. Backing them off should gradually decrease the effort needed until it is comfortable. If the screws haven't been installed yet or are barely started then perhaps there is something else wrong.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Door Spring Tension Setup

• nalcar
    15 years ago

Don't worry. The violent close-snap thing is completely cured when the panel goes on. I experienced it when I had to wait for the panel and now its weight balances the spring perfectly. DO NOT change the spring tension until the panel is applied; it's designed only as an adjustment when complete.

Just watch your fingers until then!

• User
    15 years ago

Well, this is just one of those bad scenes. The homeowner is too uptight. How much does your Valcucine DW panel weigh? I is normal for a door w/o a panel to snap shut. Aren't you jumping the gun? The DW is meant to be paneled, and only the operation with the door in place is what matters. Every other scenario is just a mental exercise.

The tech is an arse. The springs can be adjusted but only upward meaning for a heavier door. There just might be a separate hinge package (for light door)for the Bosch that can be swapped out but I could easily be remembering Asko. A little people skills could be used here by the fella.

What do your VC people say, Certainly you're not the first customer with a paneled Bosch DW from them.

I'd talk to the sales rep about a installer change or you will prob. wlak to another store, if you can at this point. Things WILL NOT get better btw you and this tech.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

If it were me, I'd put a piece of scrap plywood on there just to weight it down.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I had a similar experience - I just didn't try to use the DW until they got the door panels installed, which wasn't long since the panels were sitting in the garage when the appliances were installed. It should be fine.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

My Bosch was the same way until the panel went on. If they did adjust it for you under warranty, would you expect them to return for another free adjustment when you do get around to installing the panel so that it would not drop open precipitously from too-loose spring tension?
    Casey

• scottbeth
    15 years ago

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, our Bosch was the same. The manual clearly states that the spring tension is designed with a panel being attached as a prerequisite.

Our manual also stated a minimum weight for the panel, FWIW. The adjustment is for attaching a panel that is heavier than standard and acutally tightens up the springs. In fact the link given in a post above also indicates that the springs may require adjustment if the door is HEAVIER than specified. Our model bosch had no adjustment for installing a LIGHTER door than the minimum specified. Of course, YMMV.

If you intend attaching a 'super light' panel, I would make a point of reading the manual to check what weight is required and give the information to whomever is the contractor.

• panchoandlefty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Antss-- First, I have to say that I respect your knowledge and have benefitted from your advice. That said, I think that calling me "uptight" is neither helpful nor accurate. That remark makes me feel, well, uptight. I can't help but take it personally.

It would be fair to say I am inexperienced. It is fair to say I am overwhelmed by the choices and not very technical. I am on the front-end of a steep learning curve. "Uptight" implies that I am unreasonable, difficult, and inflexible. I am none of those things. I just need some hand-holding and expect that the people selling me appliances will give me honest expectations and that the installers will be responsive and helpful.

At the time of my post, I had just been told by the installer that I might have to buy another $1000 dishwasher. I think that merits some concern. I think a certain degree of "uptightness" might be merited at that point!

Where I jumped the gun was on buying the DW in the first place. We won't even have panels until next fall, but my old Bosch was leaking so I thought I would save some money by replacing it instead of fixing it. They had an open box, panel ready Bosch Integra (w/o panels) on the showroom floor. The sales person and I fiddled with it and while it did close more forcefully than a "normal" DW with a panel, it was not horrible. I thought I could live with it and maybe get a temporary panel to make due. No biggie.

The sales person knew I planned on using the panel-less DW for several months. I asked if there were ANY reasons not to use it w/o a panel and she thought it would be fine. Like me, she was just going off our mutual experience with the floor model, which seemed fine. Not perfect, but fine.

Looking back, maybe that open-box model's hinges had been adjusted to fit a panel which was later removed. Maybe the springs were stretched out or THAT one was broken, who knows?

The DW that arrived was CONSIDERABLY (an understatement) tighter than the one in the showroom. I thought I had reasonable expectations, but this didn't seem right given the one I'd seen. My first thought was that it might be defective. Had the installer come back into my house FROM MY DRIVEWAY when I told him I thought it had a problem, I wouldn't have become worked up.

When I later called to say I had doubts that any "normal" panel would slow this door down enough, I was told that the hinges couldn't be adjusted, even after a panel was installed. The weight of a standard wood panel was the only counterweight on the door's springs. If my panels were lighter than 15-20lbs, I had a problem. From your information that the springs can only be tightened for heavy panels, not loosened for lighter panels, maybe that it true. The information may have been lost in the delivery.

My VC rep says our panels are not super-light. That was a selling point of the higher-end Valcucine stuff, but not so much with the lower-end Demode line that we choose.

That said, I am still not convinced that my door is "normal." Part of my annoyance is that the guy wouldn't even come inside to see what I was talking about. That said, he admitted that he doesn't have any experience with panel-ready Bosch DWs at which point I realized he didn't have a frame of reference. I guess that where I live, not many people buy integrated European appliances. I think we are all learning together and I am just figuring that out.

When I called Bosch, the CS rep said this was a common issue/complaint and that it could be resolved. We'll see.

We are going to put a temporary panel on next week and go from there. Hopefully, it is all a non-issue. Just part of the learning curve of a remodel.

Heck, I am about to spend 20K with this store, mostly because of their reputation for service. They work exclusively with the cabinet people and are supposed to know specs, etc. I depend on them. This is my first transaction and it wasn't going well.... I was getting nervous. I'm not a semi-professional cook. I need help and guidance and the whole experience was highlighting my inexperience/insecurity.

Anyway... I certainly never thought I could get so worked up about a silly hinge.

On that, you do score a point that I feel uptight. But, in my defense, I think I am legitimately uptight. ;)

• User
    14 years ago

pancho - wasn't trying to personalize. As usual there are several more layers to the onion that have now been revealed. Biggie is that you're new VC kitchen isn't in and the DW panel isn't coming anytime soon. Also, you bought a floor model and don't even know if what you recieved was what you looked at in the showroom and purchased. Serial # should be on the invoice.

"They work exclusively with the cabinet people and are supposed to know specs, etc. "

Well, this certainly doesn't seem to be the case with this outfit does it? The tech they sent to you has ZERO time in that model, heck the average GWebber knows more about your DW than he does. The VC people don't seem to be any better, as they can't tell you if their panel is workable with the Bosch DW. Is this their first rodeo? Don't they have relationships with other VC studios that have used that combo they could call? How about their own factory people?

As a rule your designer / sales consultant is supposed to have this knowledge and experience. If they both dropped the ball on this one I'd seriously reconsider doing a fullblown project with them. Imported Euro kitchens with fully integrated appliances are not for neophytes, or the ignorant.

Even pro cooks don't often have the knowledge about things such as these.

You must get a temporary panel installed to use this DW especially if you're 3-12 months away from completion. That will make all the difference. If your experience was managed correctly your panel would have been there to be installed OR a temp one made or ordered from Bosch to complete your install. Once you do this you'll be fine. My frame of ref. was you had been told that you can't use that DW without a panel and the VC people were going to be ther shortly to install theirs. Neither was the case because of what you just outlined.

• panchoandlefty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I am rather embarrassed by the amount of energy that can be expended on a dishwasher hinge! Yeah, there is always more to the story... At the point I posted this, I was seriously considering backing out of the whole project.

The local VC dealership opened last fall/winter as the market tanked, so I don't think they have a ton of experience. Incredibly helpful, involved people but they are just getting started and are understaffed. I don't believe the appliance store has really handled many Euro installs since, in out small mid-western city, this new dealership would be the only one ordering them. They've done plenty of high-end custom kitchens, but this is different.

At the time, I didn't really realize this was such an extraordinary thing. Duh. It is becoming more clear. Like I said, I think we are in the learning curve together.

We purchased a very modern house in a town without many modern houses... when our 20 yr old appliances started to flicker, we knew we needed something more architectural than most local kitchen designers offered. The VC dealer was just opening and it looked like a good aesthetic fit. Beautiful stuff. I probably should have done more research so I would know what I was getting into... hindsight 20/20 and all that.

Anyway, I didn't get the DW on the showroom floor. It sold right before I returned to purchase it. A sales person and I did spend quite a bit of time with it before it sold, talked about using it w/o a panel, I opened and shut it several times to fiddle with the adjusting racks, debated getting the Miele, etc... Because it was no longer available, I ordered another Bosch, assuming they would "feel" the same.

I wasn't supposed to have my "big" meeting with the appliance store to finalize appliances for a few more weeks, but when my DW broke, I walked-in on my own without an appointment. I didn't realize that only the manager was qualified to assist me.

Had I met with the appropriate sales rep/manager, it would have been handled EXACTLY as you outline. They've now found a panel they are giving me for no charge, etc. The installer is coming out next week to put it on. He couldn't do it Friday because he had to go to a funeral, which may explain why he was in such a foul mood on our last meeting. I'm willing to give the guy another shot.

After all this went down, the manager of the appliance store and the architect of the VC dealership went 110% to make sure everything was worked out. They were embarrassed. I can't say enough about how great they've been.

Again, I appreciate your follow up.The comment only stung because I respect your opinion so much. I also appreciate the insight that this stuff is tricky. It validates my experience. We walked into this totally, 100% ignorant, but we're getting up to speed, fast. Did you know a Liebherr 48" integrated fridge has 3.4 cubic feet LESS capacity than an old 36" Sub Zero 251? The things one learns!

Give me 6 months and I'll be the bomb.

Take care, Stephanie

• jeffrow
    14 years ago

Followup to my earlier post..... I was concerned about the same issue as my door took alot of pressure to push and hold down. My doors are pretty close to the bottom of the line Ikeas and it worked fine.

• vincent nebbia
    3 years ago

Hi, I cant believe this thread is 11 years old. It's 2020, and we just installed the Bosch DW and same problem. I hope the panels help. Also, we dont like the DW because it doesn't dry the dishes very well. Not sure this DW will last very long with us.

• Csmith
    3 years ago

We just had ours installed without panels that’ll be here in a few weeks and this thread was super helpful. The door’s come up so fast, it’s whacked me in the elbow several times so I’m glad it’ll be fixed w the panels.

• kpstu
    3 years ago

We just got a Bosch, put the panel on and it still closes pretty violently. Called Bosch and the gal game me the product number for springs for lesser weight doors ..

only to find out on-line that they are not compatible with our model? What‘s up with that? Anyone have a solution that worked for them?

• iris20kitty
    3 years ago

Did installing the door actually work? Was that the magical fix? I’m having the exact same problem

• Csmith
    3 years ago

iris20kitty Yes, it worked for us. We got two dishwashers, both the same panel-ready Bosch and both had the same issue til the doors were on. Now they're terrific and don't spring up on their own anymore.

• fardm
    3 years ago

@iris20kitty We're having the problem too, and the panel did NOT fix it. I'm going to call Bosch to send someone. It's ridiculous, and obviously a problem that has been going on for at least a decade now.

• iris20kitty
    3 years ago

@fardm We still haven’t installed cause we’re waiting for the kitchen remodel but we tried a plywood piece just to make see and it looks promising. Please let me know what the Bosch tech says because you’re right- this seems like it’s been going on for a very long time

• Kim Gray
    last year

We just had ours installed on Thursday and it almost took my elbow off a minute ago. The installer did not even screw in the dishwasher to my cabinets so it’s hard to open the door because it’s not secured. I’m hoping that the weight does fix it because I’m gonna end up bruised and murdered every time I try to put dishes in it.

• HU-396242073
    last year

Yes, this tension issue is still a problem in 2023. I'm injured. A little warning on the DW would have been appreciated. The cabinet door I am getting in 6 weeks is much lighter than the weight ranges listed on the DW door specs sheet. Now what? I brought this up with my cabinet folks who are genuinely the sweetest. Maybe they will add weight and be my super heroes.

• wdccruise
    last year

@Kim Gray: "The installer did not even screw in the dishwasher to my cabinets so it’s hard to open the door because it’s not secured."

You should attach the dishwasher to the countertop or cabinet using the supplied brackets as described on page 18 of the installation manual.

@HU-396242073: "The cabinet door I am getting in 6 weeks is much lighter than the weight ranges listed on the DW door specs sheet. Now what?"

I would ask the cabinet maker to make a cutout on the back of the door and attach weights to bring the door up to specs. For example, cutting this 3 in. x 36 in. Plain Steel Flat Bar (there may metal more appropriate -- amateur) in half and attaching the pieces to the back of the door would add about 5-3/4 lbs to the door's weight. I'd rather have the door on the heavy side to prevent having to hold it down or slamming shut.

• Kim Gray
    last year

The installer only left us an extra cord which he did not use. There were no brackets left behind. He left nothing behind. I went to install the toe kick and realized he didn’t even leave the brackets for those either. They’re four missing parts on that too, he handed me a screw. He said this is not long enough go to your local hardware store and get a longer one. None of them were long enough. to head to the hardware store and buy a bunch of shims and glue them together until it’s fat enough in there for the screw to hit. I paid $250 for this installation and they left an unfinished mess.
    They left the box in my driveway on a very windy and cold day without telling me and I ended up having to chase down Styrofoam. They possibly could’ve left parts in that but I doubt it because they handed me the extra cord that they didn’t use if you pay that much money for an installation it should be installed. You shouldn’t have to run to the hardware store And I did go through the whole manual looking for solutions. There was nothing left for me to make this work. The dishwasher is to the left of my sink which is set an angle because I have a peninsula with an angle. I am so frustrated I have $1700 into this dishwasher with the installation and the kit that I didn’t even need.

• wdccruise
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Kim Gray: "There were no brackets left behind."

1. Verify the bracket part number for your dishwasher model at, for example, partselect.com.
    2. Buy the part from partselect or ebay.
    3. Follow the installation instruction in the manual. Ideally you'll be able to attach the brackets to the countertop rather than the cabinet.
  • HU-396242073
    last year

Manual? Didn't get one. Just a link to the web and it doesn't connect to anything at all. A manual would be great. Exactly why are there numbers flashing (time) after it beeps?. What does the flashing red light on the floor mean? Does anyone have a link to a manual that actually works?.

• wdccruise
    last year

@HU-396242073: "Manual? Didn't get one... A manual would be great."

1. Browse here: https://www.bosch-home.com/us/owner-support/owner-manuals
    2. Enter appliance model number.
    3. Click 'Next'.
  • HU-396242073
    last year

Wdcruise: Thank you!