SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bommai

Brand new two story home in Florida has garage wall leak

bommai
14 years ago

We just bought a brand new home in Melbourne, Florida (Central Florida by the east coast). It is two story with concrete block walls in the first story and wood frame on the second. The wood frame has 3 layers of plastic wrap, wire lath and stucco. The concrete block has cementous stucco. There are horizontal expansion joints between the first story and second story. There are also vertical expansion joints on the second story only.

After a strong thunderstorm and wind driven rain on Sunday, I noticed three patches of dampness on the garage wall (inside wall). This is the concrete block wall that is stucco'd and painted on the inside also. My builder came by today and looked at the outside and could not find any obvious cause other than the expansion joint. His plan is to caulk the entire expansion joint (both vertical and horizontal) throughout the house. Is this a good fix? Could there by any other problem contributing to this. I don't see any obvious cracks. The paint is 6 mil thick. I believe the stucco is 1/2 inch thick.

I am very worried since this is a brand new house and we paid a lot of money!

Comments (18)