SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dpkform

any suggestions for deep, but inexpensive range hoods?

dpkform
16 years ago

We have purchased a Bosch HEI7282 electric slide-range.

We have not done wok cooking, and will never do deep frying. Mostly fry fish and white meats, although we love the occasional hamburger and steak. The latter are usually done outdoors on our 70,000 BTU Broil King Grill, but in the winter - we have to be really serious to grill outside - LOL.

When our kitchen is done my MIL has promised to come over and give some informal Indian cooking classes - what she can do with Lamb and spices.......but I digress.....

Would like to limit hood cost to about $750 or less. We have never had a great hood - so anything would be an improvement, but indoor air quality does matter. Want to avoid excessively high CFMs due to back-drafting. After our reno - our home will be quite air tight - plus code here requires make-up air with high CFM hoods. We are planning a whole-home ventilation system - but I'm not clear that such systems can be used to provide make-up air for kitchen range hoods.

We want an under-cabinet style hood. I have looked at the VAH which are widely available here in Toronto, Canada, but suprisingly, they are only 21 inches deep. I could purchase a 36" 300 CFM for about $600.

My hours of reading about ventilation on this forum point out what also seems to be common sense - that range hood area coverage is the most important aspect of hood performance.

The elements on the Bosch slide-in are right at the front, while the back of the slide-in range is several inches away from the wall.

Maybe the simplest option is to bump out the range hood - so it is biased towards the front of the range?

Thanks for reading and assisting!

Comments (4)