SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jah1795_gw

Bluestar Range Top vs. American Range

jah1795
11 years ago

Help! I'm about to start tearing my hair out! I've spent the past several months researching new appliances for a total gutting and redo of our kitchen. Thanks to the valuable input by members of this forum, I've been able to make informed decisions which will save me money and potential grief. I'd pretty much set my mind on getting the Bluestar 4 burner plus grill range top (I'm getting double Electrolux Icon wall ovens and warming drawer, and am debating the Electrolux counter depth vs Kitchenaide, but that's a whole other posting that I'll put together). I'm also getting a Vent a Hood 600 cfm fan. Once I made my 'final' decision, I informed one of the appliance dealers and his response was that I should consider the American Range instead. Now, given the fact that he doesn't sell Bluestar and does sell American Range, I take his recommendation with a huge grain of salt - however, he's made a couple of valid points. The following paragraphs are from his last email. I'd appreciate any comments anyone cares to offer in response. ("Dave" is the American Range Distributor.)

"The open burners will have 2 x 25K burners (back left & front right, so hotter than BS), 17K & 12K. The Built in grill in the middle is 18K output w/ Inconel SS burner, which same SS super alloy material (super heat resistant and will not change shape) same as they use in Formula 1 race car exhaust pipe manifolds! The grate is the same material as the burner grates. Price for you would be $3360.00 incl taxes included, lead time is about 6 - 8 weeks or so.

Dave also said you can call him as he used to sell the BS in USA.

The main thing Dave mentioned in comparison to the BS is that the burners actually overlap slightly over the burner opening in the so the majority of spills go into the pan, the pan is easily removed for cleaning. The BS has gaps all around the burners so spills just pour down below, covering anything below the burner and then into the pull out tray. Both the American Range & BS pull out trays are full depth and both capture and massive spills easily. Also when you take the enamel burner tray out of the American range top there is hardly anything else under it, whereas the BS has all sorts of stuff wires etc going on underneath making it difficult to clean off all the stuff that falls down.

The other thing is that the BS range tops ignitors are more exposed on the burners and they apparently actually send the customers spare one to replace as they break often, this is not a warranty so the customer is responsible to replace, the American Range top doesn't have this issue at all, and they are auto re-ignition burners as well so pretty awesome!"

Comments (24)