SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neeps

Which bathroom layout? Help, please.

neeps
12 years ago

Sometimes lurker and now new poster here. Hoping you all can help me decide between these two options.

We've gutted our master bathroom. The design is narrowed down to these two:

Option #1

Option #2

A tiny difference with a huge impact on the whole project.

The side wall of the shower goes from glass to a framed wall. From a design point of view I think it would make the bathroom look so much bigger to have that wall be glass. However, this complicates the plumbing enormously.

It means putting the shower head on an exterior wall - so building a fake plumbing wall in front of the exterior wall just to hold plumbing. I'd add a vertical half wall to the end of the shower to at least hold the shower valve so it would be accessible for repairs without breaking tile. Moving the bathtub plumbing to the wall on the right or building a knee wall behind the tub to hold the plumbing (shown in option 1).

Option 2 solves all the plumbing dilemmas, but I'm afraid of the bathroom looking like a tiny cave if I frame that wall in.

The house is on a slab and all the plumbing drops from the attic. (this is south Texas, freezing weather is rare) All the plumbing will be moving anyway - just a matter of how much and where. We took the bathroom from 6x8 to 12x8.

Any help you can give me to decide one or the other would be great. Thanks!

Comments (8)