SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justjude_gw

Cleaning old glass bottles

justjude
19 years ago

This is hardly your usual household cleaning query, but I didn't know where else to post it. If anyone can recommend a better site, I'm willing.

Here's the thing. We live in a 100 year old house with a large back yard, which was once obviously used for dumping trash. There's a lovely garden there now, but whenever we dig deeply (as we have been doing to put in a new walkway), we unearth all manner of unusual stuff.

Recently we have dug up quite a few intact glass bottles. I'd like to get them as clean as possible and use them as little vases, but I'm having trouble getting them clean. The insides have become etched from lying in the dirt for 100 years, and the dirt that is in the etched part just won't let go.

Here's what I have tried (all involving scrubbing with a toothbrush): Hot water, hot water and liquid detergent, hot water and liquid detergent and bleach, hot water and liquid detergent and bleach with marbles in the bottle to shake around.

What else might work? I know I can't remove the etching, but I would like to get the dirt out of it.

Judy

Comments (26)