SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

To all Pet Owners

kimcoco
17 years ago

For those of you who have dogs that shed and have a problem keeping up with the fur, as an owner of three cats and two dogs, I have some tips that my friend, a licensed veterinarian, gave me.

First, always add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to their dry food & mix it in. Cats and Dogs. Aids in digestion, keeps their coat shiny, and helps to alleviate skin problems. This also helps with lessening animal dander.

Second, if you bathe your animals, don't use cheap store bought shampoo/conditioner that are known to have high perfume content. This will only make your pets shed worse. I use Vet Solutions Aloe & Oatmeal Skin & Coat Shampoo & Conditioner. My vet sells it, but I can also get it at Petco, Pet World and most local pet stores. Any good quality product will do, the less perfume the better. Most importantly, make sure you use a conditioner. This makes a HUGE difference. Their coat will be softer, shinier, and they will shed so much less.

Third, their coat has a lot to do with their diet. A good quality pet food will be very beneficial. Eukanuba is good, but my dog prefers the Nutro brand. Both are very good quality products. My dogs have no skin problems.

Less shedding means less vacuming for me.

I have a Hoover Windtunnel upright bag vacume cleaner with a special attachment for pet owners - this is a lifesaver. It attaches to the end of your hose, but rather than doing the brushing manually, it has a brush on the end that spins and picks up all the hair for you. I got it at Sears. With three cats and two dogs, this is by far the best invention I've seen in awhile, and a lot less work for me.

Comments (8)