SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Better micro than GE PEB2060?

lithigin
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on my appliance package. This is a 1950s ranch, and we're doing midrange good appliances in SS:

Samsung RFG297AARS 33" french door fridge

Whirlpool GU3600 Quiet Partner V DW

GE PHB925SPSS induction/convection freestanding range

Breville 800 Smart Oven (so excited about this one!)

The question is micro. It will be on an open shelf that is 27"w x 21"d. I have no plans to get a trim kit and I don't need convection (chose Smart Oven as my pseudo second oven, and have a convection range). I was going to get the GE Profile PEB2060 and see many complaints (most circa 2008) of the magnetron dying repeatedly. Apparently their 5 yr warranty on parts and magnetron only covers the part and not labor, which must be through a GE person, and people are reporting that it costs damn near the price of the micro every time to fix it! Online retail is in the $250 range.

Does anyone know if the quality has improved in the last few years? I see this micro everywhere, and my parents installed it in their higher-end kitchen last year and have been very happy. Are they just lucky?

Another option was the Whirlpool MT4155SPS. I nixed it because of many complaints of the door button sticking. It's one of those things that is functionally minimally important but would be very annoying. Is this quibbly to worry about?

What would you all suggest as an alternative? My requirements are:

-Not super-modern looking

-Fits in a 20"d x 27"w shelf (nearly all 1.5-2.2 cu ft will fit)

-Has a good defrost setting

-Has a 9.5-10" interior height for warming syrup

-Is in the $200-$350 range

-Should last for 5-10 years

I'd like a good popcorn and beverage setting and it would be nice to fit 9x13 in there. I'd love any other ideas; thank you!

Comments (2)