SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prosperity66

'American Expats' Questions

prosperity66
15 years ago

Hello Ladies :)

I am so sorry for not having posted in the forum for some weeks! Actually, I am attending English training courses - just finished the main course with a B2 level instead of a B1 and in order to keep training, I decided to attend conversation table style courses that started two weeks ago and am overbooked with those courses (as they happen during the evening) because I also attend Office courses and Dutch courses during the day.

I'm not sure it's the right topic of the forum to post my subject but you're so smart ladies...

As you know, I live in Belgium. And during the "conversation table" last week, we had a discussion about American expats living in Belgium (those of Nato and other expats).

It's a common belief that, in my country, American expats "gather together" and live in Waterloo ; which is not entirely false but not all Americans live in Waterloo as the town is too small, lol.

But...

Here are my questions!

The teacher told us her husband has been working with American expats and that those expats buy brand new furniture, including wash machine, dish washer, etc. in the USA before moving overseas where they won't be buying nothing (well, just hope they buy food and drink otherwise they're at the risk to die of starvation).

Buying in the USA and moving everything in Europe is very expensive. Ok, I don't disagree with what she said. However, I would like to learn why they buy in the US at the risk of ending up paying too much for things they could find here for a lower price.

The second question is why do American expats travel to America to see the doctor when we have the most powerful social security system of the world (I mean the Belgian system)? Is it related to the terms of their health insurance?

Also, I don't remember the forum where I've read this, but I remember some US expats told that Big Brother always knows what Americans are doing, how much they earn and, even while expats, Americans still pay taxes in the USA.

Is it true?

All in all my personal thoughts about those facts are all those points are related. I think it's like a "vicious circle": advantages and inconvenients of paying taxes in the US and living overseas.

Actually, during this course, we had a big argument because I found the teacher and students of bias against expats and I'd like to get them ACCURATE information about it and not stay on a "oh, they do it because of their patriotism" or "because of their stars and stripes" or, like the teacher told us "by their lack of culture".

Don't think she only hates Americans... I live in Wallonia and attend those courses in Wallonia. The teacher is paid by Wallonia. But she is... Flemish and hates Walloons - she insulted us for two weeks: Walloons are lazy, stupid, like Americans, we have a lack of culture, etc.

Finally, it's a compliment: Walloons and Americans are considered as the same by this woman, so we are as powerful as you and our strength and unity are legendary even without stars and stripes on our flag, lol.

Thanks in advance for the replies, if per chance I get some :)

Have a great Sunday,

Dominique.

PS. By the way, I'll be decorating for Easter tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll post the pictures ;-)

Comments (11)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Dominique, I've been wondering where you were! Good to hear from you. You are certainly a busy lady!

I don't know that I can answer your questions, but I really wanted to commend you for not believing everything your teacher says--always good to use your own head and do your own research! ;o)

I'm not sure what you mean by Expats--are they active duty military personnel? If they are military, they would not need to come to the U.S. for medical service, it would be provided there for them except for very unusual problems, then they might be flown back to the U.S. Military personnel do not pay for medical care.

As far as paying taxes, if their income is from the U.S. then they would pay U.S. taxes on it. As for Big Brother always knowing what we are doing--this is the computer age, so much of what we view or purchase can easily be tracked if desired. We file our Income taxes, so we are reporting our income on those. We also have a Census that asks us to report things like how many people, pets, farm animals, and other things are on our property or in our possession. They use this information to run lots of statistics for various reports which are used for many purposes.

As for the Expats buying in the U.S. and bringing it over with them, it may be that they prefer to continue using products they are familiar with, and that their "moving costs" are being covered by the military or other agency.

As for them settling in a common area, that is just normal that they would feel most comfortable with others like themselves. We see that here in the U.S. allot too, immigrants from other countries tend to settle in the same areas. We have whole sections of Los Angeles that are mainly Korean, or Chinese, or Hispanic. That doesn't mean they are the only ones living or doing business there, but the area is predominately that way. We know the ideal would be a real "melting pot" but given the choice, most will want to be with those they have the most in common with. Does that make sense?

I'm glad you don't allow yourself to be prejudiced against Americans. Just remember that America is just like any other country in the fact that there are good people and those that are not so good as well. There are areas of great prosperity and areas of extreme poverty. Our cultures are very mixed since many have married those of other origins, religion, etc.

In my mind, that makes things even more fun--especially when it comes to eating out! I can find Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, French, Greek, and American food all within about 10 minutes of our home! LOL

Hope some of these other ladies can give you more and better information.

Luvs

• prosperity66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Luvs :)

Hope you're doing well!

Yes, I'm overbusy - and found a way to add more work to my daily tasks by moving my Halloween site to a new domain as well as re-designing the site :-(

Well, by talking by "expats", I mean Americans who come to work in Belgium whether they are in the army or not.

I personally don't think th entire American community of my country would have come to live in Belgium only for the pleasure as we use to pay a lot of taxes (twice on our monthly wages: once a month and then once a year on the amount we never got!) Maybe I'm wrong :)

I don't remember the exact post people did on the subject (in addition it was three years ago) but all in all it said they would pay taxes in the US even while working overseas, but I don't remember if those employees were sent to foreign countries by their company or moved abroad because they would want to. However, I presume if their sent by their company, they're paid by the American company?

On the other hand, if they're really paid by the US company or government, they for sure don't get access to our social security system; which means they are finally obliged to go to see the doctor in America except for emergencies of course. But it also implies they will have to pay taxes in America... In addition, maybe they're allowed to file the flying costs in their tax file?

Regarding the furniture and other stuff, I thought, as you say, it's because fees are covered by their employer.

Oh Luvs, I personally don't mind if they don't buy furniture here as a friend of mine has been living in Canada for many years and brought back all her Canadian things because they are TOP quality!!! So for me it's normal to bring things you are familiar with when you move to an unknown country.

Yes, it's normal to gather into communities as being a foreigner makes you feel better with people from your own country. Moreover, the American community in Belgium is a quiet community, with clean homes, streets, etc. which is not the case of all of our communities :)

As a matter of fact, since I discovered this forum (and some others) I learned how Americans live, how sympathetic they are, how generous they are and it's a real pain to hear the negative views of this person. Even if our mentalities are different, qualities of people still remain! It is therefore necessary I get as many accurate information as I decided to make a point to tell the truth to this teacher and her fan: actually there's another student that things like the teacher, both about the Americans and the Walloons. But the others aren't aware and would make their own opinion. I prefer they make an opinion on reality instead of the thoughts of a person that things the wrong way.

So Luvs, your answer helped me a lot!

Thank you so much!

Have a great day :)
    Dominique.

• Related Discussions

Question about All American 921 canner

Q

Comments (10)
    Moogies, is the canner or pressure canning new to you? Have you read through the manual? It sounds like you may be comparing it to a water bath process. I don't have the All American (my larger canners are vintage Mirro) but the jar capacity with the second rack and layer is for pressure canning - the jars don't need to be covered with water for that processing. Approx 3" or as described in your manual should be plenty of water for even those things you are processing longest, like fish/meat. Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - canner operation
    ...See More

Expat Children & Youths Summer Fun Camp

Q

Comments (2)
    Like I would pack up my kid and send him off to China. I had an acquaintance about 15 yrs ago, her husband was a computer programmer. They were a very young naive couple with a 3 yr old. I really don't know what they were thinking. Was offered a job in China for a year with great pay and "good housing" provided. When they arrived the company took their passports and the "good" place to live had a hot plate, 1 sink w/cold water and 2 rooms, no furniture, dirt floor. When the husband informed them he no longer wanted the position they were not going to let him leave, spent hours yelling and threatening him and wife. They had to basically escape. Made their way to the American Embassy and they were helped out of the country. No I don't think I will take you up on your ideal offer.
    ...See More

Question about bugs flying out of American Boxwood

Q

Comments (5)
    oh absolutely ... and a pic of the leaves.. might trigger something we recognize ... its just that too many homeowners first instinct is to go all nuclear on such ... and that isnt required.. short of damage ... when i was in suburbia... i was full chemical war on anything that threatened my babes... or pissed me off ... fast forward to 5 acres... and young kids back when we moved here ... and i have barely used any chems since... and you know what ... for the most part.. all i accomplished before was to spend money ... time.. and exposure to chems ... for just about nothing ... very few insects.. kill the plants they feed off ... yes.. once in a while something blooms out in plague levels ... and some action might be needed ... but most of the time... consider it a free show of ma nature ... OP does note some pale branches ... and i wish we could see those .. sounds like sucking insects to me ... ken
    ...See More

Question reguarding my American Standard Furnace

Q

Comments (7)
    A 5 year old furnace may well have an ECM (electronically commutated motor). Now that's a mouthful! If so, an ECM motor is good for energy efficiency, but can break the bank if they fail. Each manufacturer programs the ECM motor in their particular equipment to run per their desired operating conditions. If the repair company used an aftermarket motor, this may be the cause. Mike_home may also be right. It could just be on the wrong speed tap. Most wiring diagrams will show which wire goes where. The wiring diagram should be on one of the panels and should show where the wires land on the motor. I have an article on ECM motors if you're interested at Air and Energy Solutions
    ...See More
  • valleymagpie
    15 years ago

Dominique,

I'll second all that Luvs said. I'd like to zero in on the teacher's comments about "patriotism" and "lack of culture."

Yes, we Americans are patriotic. We love our country as do most people love their own countries. I see nothing wrong with that! I live in a beautiful area with rivers and mountains at my back door, and every morning I thank God for my beautiful home and the wonderful people who live here. We have been here only a year-and-a-half, and yet we have made so many friends--a construction manager, a retired businessman, a cabinetmaker, a draftsman, a housekeeper, a bookkeeper and small-town actress--you get the idea. Lots of different kinds of people. We all get along and do our best to contribute to the community. We have a culture of independence, and yet we all chip in to make our town better--for example, raising enough money to reopen our library when the county ran out of funds, and sharing the produce we grow with others.

I don't know what your teacher means by "lack of culture." If it's classical culture, (even in our mostly rural area) we live near a town that hosts a near year-round, world-famous Shakespeare Festival. And there are orchestras and plays and museums and art galleries galore. But I suspect that what she really means is that she doesn't like America and therefore we "lack culture." And the same goes for the Walloon culture--she just doesn't like it. (And I really doubt that Walloons or Americans are any smarter or stupider than other peoples--what a silly thing to say).

If you have not been to America, I hope you'll someday have the chance to come here. We will welcome you with open arms.

Take care.

- Magpie

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Dominique,

What a find person you are to stand up for what you see as wrong opinions. They are everywhere, in every walk of live and in every country. All we can do is chip away every chance we get to change offensive opinions to a clearer view of what really is the truth.

My Grandson is 17 and in the 11th of 12 grades in school. We chat often about the incorrect opinions that teachers and students have about people, countries, religions and just about any subject you could name. In my small way I am forever challenging him to prove his opinion whether I feel it is correct or incorrect. Jumping to conclusions without the fact is silly....well let's face it, it crazy!

I was raise in a large west coast city and the variety of people from different countries was great! We had what is still called the International District, and in this very large area you will find small areas of every nationality, because people of every nation feels more comfortable with people they can relate to, not only in their own language but with the same food, dress and religion. So I am sure this is what is happening in you area, Americans choose to live close to other Americans as does the other people of other nations.

I know from experience that if you are working in a foreign country and still a U. S. citizen you pay Federal Income Tax and in some states you pay a state income tax as well. Many U. S. citizens are moving to foreign countries to live because of the "cost of living" is less in these countries. They get more for their dollar there, than here. And as stated before many companies and our military does pay for a certain amount of personal belongs to be moved right along with you. So you take the items that will cost you the most to replace, hence your appliances. And yes, we are proud and comfortable with what we have and may not know what is available where we are going.

Dominique, Thank You for believing in us! We are not all good or bad, pretty or ugly, tall or short, skinny or fat......we are all just human beings trying to do the best we can!

Belle

• prosperity66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Magpie,

I am patriotic as well, maybe it's the reason why I'm so sad after having heard what this teacher said...

Something I learned while browsing this forum an others, while communicating with Americans is that you have a great sense of community; which is something that is missing in my country. I would like to create such kind of community to help others when they need, to be stronger when things are not going well or when people are alone.

I think that my teacher gets confused between lack of culture and... young nation. I also think she is frustrated as she seems appreciating noboby... As for me and my culture, I'm a French history passionate and study it for more than 30 years but one of my favorite authors is... Martha Grimes, an American one; it's always a real pleasure to read her books, re-read them again and again.

I would like to get the chance to come in America; unfortunately, there's the Atlantic ocean between you and I and I'm afraid to fly otherwise I would have already been there, at least for some days :-(

Actually, just after 9.11, flying prices dramatically decreased and with a friend, we decided to take advantage of it to fly to Florida. Some days later, I finally decided to NOT take profit from such a drama and stayed at home.

Congrats on your job for saving the library; here we would have let it down and it would have closed. Sad, isn't it?

Hello Belle :)

As soon as this teacher told us Americans were "closed minded", I was shocked. Particularly because there are a lot of different communities in your country; whether Asian, European, Australian, African, etc.

Well, your message as well as those of Magpie and Luvs made me think about my childhood. Actually, I grew up in the Brussels' European District and my grand parents used to rent furnished rooms to EEC employees. So I always had expats around me till I've been sixteen and my grand parents were too old, sold their home and bought a flat.

They were generally English, Scotish and Italian and also often gathered with their fellow expats but also often participated in the life of our family and became family members. We are still in contact with a lot of them who moved in another town or country.

I've worked in schools for three years and since the beginning I tried to stick to the truth as much as possible - except for questions from 4 years old children asking "what are my mom and my dad doing in bed when mummy is screaming..." ooops! I generally replied "for security reasons, they are testing a new kind of toy before letting you play with it; if it's not a good one, they won't let you play with it" - just hope they aren't still waiting to get the toy! I also try to get accurate information on everything I state.

All in all, that's what I thought and now I'm free to tell her she is wrong and would have to open her mind.

It all began with a new kind of language teaching program tested by the British schools. She stated it was important for ALL English-speaking people to learn to speak foreign languages. Well, I asked why, since English is the first language spoken in the world...

She was right on only one thing: French-speaking people only hear one type of sound; which is the reason why they have a very bad accent when they speak another language.

Thanks for those great replies!

• yachter123
    15 years ago

Properity, I have told you before that the company my husband works for also has a company in Belgium. I will ask him how it works when U.S. citizens go to Belgium to work, as I'm not sure about the taxes, but would think if you are an American citizen, working overseas, you would pay taxes to the U.S.

As for moving large appliances to Belgium, I would think that would be horribly expensive. I once sent a small box (gift) to a friend in Australia & the cost of sending it was more than the cost of the items!!!

I also didn't think our appliances would work in European countries, don't you have a different type of electrical system than here in the U.S.

I have a friend whose son has lived in Italy & Israel & when she visited him, she said the washer & dryer were all in one, she said her d-in-law had a heck of a time learning how to use it! LOL

As for teachers imposing their personal opinions on students, be they children or adults, I'm totally against that. They are not there to teach their own opinions, rather the subject at hand.

We are seeing alot of that in the U.S., especially to children, & it is not right. Children are in school to learn not to be influenced by each teachers personal opinions about any subject!

Just as with our TV news, you take it with a grain of salt, not everything we hear on the news is factual. Politics play a huge part in influencing our news & you have to really dig deep & research before you believe everything you hear.

I'm glad you are of an open mind & don't believe everything you hear.

In Chicago, there are distinct areas where different nationalities live, but that is also changing. I think that started years ago, as immigrants came from Germany, Poland & many other countries & they settled in certain areas where others of their same nationality settled.

I live in a very small town south of Chicago ( a farm town really) and there are no distinct areas for people, it is quite mixed since our town has experienced a huge new home boom in the past 10 years.

Americans are quite cultured, not sure how your teacher is meaning that word, but you might want to ask her in what way she believes Americans are not cultured!!! (and let us know what she says)!

• prosperity66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Yachter!

Thanks for enquiring about the taxes :) By the way, I'm wondering if expats also pay taxes in Belgium if they already pay taxes in the US... as Belgium is crazy about taxes, lol.

You're right, we have a different electrical system: 220 Volts and the material is totally different. But my friend that came back from Canada still uses her washing machine and dish washer she bought in Canada so I presume there's a way to adapt them to our system.

One can find washer & dryer all-in-one here. But we also have them separately. It's my case: I prefer having the both of them as when one is broken, the other one still works. In all honesty, my aunt has an all-in-one and, while Belgian, born and living in Belgium, I've never figured out how it works, lol.

It becomes a common thing here for teacher imposing their own views to their students! I remember when I worked in the local school at the time of elections, teachers asked to children (aged 3 up to 12 years old) who their parents would elect... and if they would answer : "National Party", teachers would tell them it's a bad party, their parents got an advice in the diary, etc. It's shocking!

They litteraly organized political campaigns in our schools! For instance, our district is a "socialist" one (I hate this party!) and schools stuck pictures of socialists on their windows, putting pro-socialist advertisements in the students' books!!!

As for TV, it's the same here. National Television (RTBF) is paid by the government but they have often attempted to resist the regulations. On the other hand, a private TV (RTL-TVI) is in my opinion a "red" (socialist) TV. When I hear their news or read their articles on their site, I often verify somewhere else ;-)

Well, socialists evolved by the time. Instead of solidarity, they apply the "wealth only for them" (steal poeple's hard earned money as much you as you can) politics.

I think I don't systematically believe what I hear because I'm passionate by History. History is a matter of facts. Only facts. And as I wrote before, I discovered your world; a kind of world that nobody talks about and average European Joe doesn't know about. And I love this one.

Well, I'm not sure what kind of people would prefer to spend the entire day and evening outside of their home, five days a week, all year long; with anyone but their husband... That's my teacher, lol.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Teacher's should teach facts and let students form their own opinions.
    Entertainers should entertain and not preach their political views.
    Some people are stupid and don't read, or investigate, and are therefore swayed. Why would I vote for someone because Madonna, or Bruce Springstein or any celebrity said I should?

But some people are too lazy to read, so they wuld rather let someone else form an opinion for them..

I am happy you are not swallowing what your teacher is spewing...form your own opinions.

Could she have meant we have no culture, like ancient civilizations, because we are only 233 yrs old, which is young, compared to Europe, etc...??

As for the health care, I would assume unless it was an emergency they would have operations here due to insurance.
    I don't know. Many foreigners come to the US for serious surgeries...if they can afford it.
    I love your definition of Socialists too! And I hope the US does not go there...

• prosperity66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Kathleen :)

You're so right! Unfortunately its seems being a new kind of trend for some people to let other think for them.

Well, I HOPE she meant you have no culture because of the youth of your nation... it's maybe less insulting (not sure).

I generally only believe in what I can see or experience by myself. Obviously, it's impossible to experience the American way of life while living in Europe. But I often come into this forum and a few others, I also often share my thoughts with American marketers and my own newsletters subscribers and I think I can believe in what you and the others say.

Moreover, a friend of mine recently moved to the USA as her husband has been sent in Virginia by his company (I think it's IBM). Actually they were supposed to stay 3 years in the USA but she told me she probably won't come back as she's really happy to live there and for her, we are delayed and obtuse, lol.

Like any other country, the US need to create their own history - and Belgium too as we are younger than you; which is something my teacher forgot! Belgium and our monarchy exist only since 1830!!!

As for the health subject, I thought it was insurance related but she told me "NO". Once again, she tends to forget that very few countries have a social system as the one we have here. I know that when we go on holiday in foreign countries, we are covered by our system but I'm not sure that as expats we get the exact same cover!

Socialism... originally it was a good idea: no rich, no poor. Unfortunately, since 20 years, socialists in my country should be put in prison as they have diverted much of our wealth to their sole benefit.

In fact, socialism in Belgium works on the principle of patronage: you are my friend: you get a job, you get money, a "low-cost" appartment even if you earn a lot of money; you can get shares of a bank of the state which socialists are principal shareholders.

They also allowed anyone a nice revenue. An example is the one of a couple of ex-Yugoslavia citizens and their two sons that got the status of "disabled" (because of the war), each of them is paid $ 1750 per month! War in Yugoslavia is over, but they stay here as they don't have to work to earn $7000! Add to this the family allocations - their children are adults now and have children ($200 for the first child, $250 for the second one, $400 for the third one, and so on!) In addition, they don't pay taxes and it will never stop unless they die. The same goes for a Belgian that would be "disabled" - especially those that aren't really but know a doctor that makes a certificate or a socialist that is involved in politics!

I sincerely hope the US never go to socialism - especially the one that is badly managed!

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

Yes, this is really the wrong place for this. We have a place that we put these things, from GardenJunk it is called conversations....it is open and free for any comments. But you are welcome here and that is ok with me that it is posted. There is supposed to be another where you can go to discuss news topics, but I would give my opinion and most would not like it.

Teachers here recently are directed by their employers and union on how they could teach and really act. Especially since we have Obama in the position of our president. As a great grandma, I see it changing daily with the children and what they are taught....for instance, our black history month became Africian American month because of Obama. That is sad cause there are blacks from other countries that live here and have made great contribution. And it ignores the fact that he is more white than he is black/arabic.

The thing is that your class was to learn how to use conversation at the dinner table. I think part of her 'teaching method' may have been to see if you would loose your cool so to speak. Here in the US we have basically learned to not talk about religion or politics at most gatherings cause people can really get violent about their opinions. And that can come to a no good end.
    Maybe you have to give your teacher a little credit to see if that is what it is. She may be trying to show you how to answer or respond to things that are a bit touchy. You might just ask her straight out, if the purpose of her treatment of the class is to teach you which subjects should be discussed and which should not?

• prosperity66
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello twomonths :)

I'm so sorry for having posted in the wrong forum! I thought about the Garden Junk but also thought it was for garden related stuff until I saw some decoration pictures from this topic - but it was too late :-(

I would like to know what the Black history month is all about...

Actually our conversation table class is dedicated to... keep trained in English after having had English courses. We use to gather two evenings a week for two hours each and are supposed to speak - no matter the subject for as long as we use English.

Regarding the teaching of what subject can be discussed or not, actually she is the only person to speak and never lets us speak - or only if we decide to cut when she speaks - and we are supposed to attend those courses in order to speak. And she spends a lot of time in insults against everyone that is not Flemish or doesn't think like her.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions