SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

remodeling small bathroom for disabled relative

beckyinrichmond
15 years ago

I'm planning a remodel of a small bathroom for a disabled relative--he uses a walker. The current bathroom will be gutted and there will be new floor, walls, fixtures. The floor should be as nonslippery as possible. From what I've read so far, vinyl is less slippery than tile. He sometimes misses the toilet and some urine ends up on the floor in front of the toilet. How does that affect vinyl? Tile would seem to be more resistant, but would the urine get into the grout? Is there tile that's nonslippery? What's the best floor choice for him?

Another question: I'm planning a 36x36 (or even smaller if I can find something smaller) walk-in shower with a seat inside (hand-held spray and controls where he can reach them sitting down). Should there be a grab bar inside the shower or should it be outside the shower? I don't expect him to be trying to stand up in the shower. But maybe there should be a grab bar anyway. Can he grab to the sides of the shower when getting up from the seat to step outside or should be there be something else just outside the shower to hold onto?

Comments (16)