SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naxosmom

Glass on Gas Cooktop--Porcelain/Grates

naxosmom
18 years ago

Hi!

I have a white glass gas cooktop by Whirlpool. It has porcelain under the burners and grey grates. Oh, how I wish I had black grates!

I don't use much oil at all since I have good Calaphon no-stick pots and pans. I don't fry much anyhow. The pots and pans are new, too, so there is no build-up of anything on them. The porcelain and grates gets stained every time I cook anything. (I don't have any trouble at all with the glass. Everything comes right off that.)

Whirlpool said to use this milky white cleaner...which did nothing...and to put the grates in the dishwasher. I did...same brownish/black discoloration on the grates. I have a good dishwasher and used the heavy duty pots and pans cycle.

I finally decided to try Comet...the one that says it won't scratch. It worked great on the porcelain for the most part, but I still have some black specks scattered around the porcelain burner part and brownish discoloration around the burner where the burner and glass meet. There is a thin brown line that is difficult to remove from around the burners.

The Comet took away some of the discoloration on the grates, but there is still some. Between the specks and brownish parts on the porcelain and the discoloration on the grates, the stove doesn't look clean to me...and it definitely doesn't look new. I don't even use the cooktop all that often.

If anyone has a similar cooktop, please share how you keep it looking nice and clean.

Thanks!

Dee

Comments (8)