SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtimmer_gw

Hands on with induction/brands with safety technology

mtimmer
10 years ago

We're considering induction for our cooktop as part of a gut remodel, but we're a bit nervous since it's new technology. (By that I mean, new to us--I know it's been around a while.) What doesn't help is that unlike a gas cooktop where you can play around with the knobs, 95% of the induction cooktops I see aren't turned on, which means they just look like a nice piece of glass with circles on it. Presumably, how the controls work would be a major part of our decision, but we're just not sure how to test that. Is our experience common or are we looking in the wrong appliance stores?

I also have a bonus question: the safety aspect of induction is also a major appeal to us, but I'm not sure we've sorted that out through the various manufacturers. I *think* that Bosch and Miele seem to be the leaders here in terms of having timers in the hobs and technology that senses that you've left a burner running too long. Am I correct in that or are there other brands that I should also include in that discussion?

Thanks Team GW!

Comments (22)