SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cork2win

Another steam mop post

cork2win
16 years ago

Sorry folks, I usually hang out on the Building a Home forum, but since we're nearing completion I'm starting to think about maintenance and getting a steam mop.

I've read all the raves about the several different kinds of steam mops but I have a few very specific questions I can't seem to find answers to amongst all the raves.

First, on the Shark, does anyone notice the lack of swivel head to be an issue? I notice the Bissell swivels, along with a few other brands and I'd think this would be beneficial, but don't know if it's worth worrying about.

Second, is this cleaner (steam) safe to use on PREFINISHED WOOD FLOORS. I've read some conflicting reviews and I'm nervous. I don't see many of the raves talking about specifically what type of floor you're cleaning, so if anyone has successfully used this on prefinished wood, I'd love to hear.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments (42)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi cork2win,
    first, congrats on your new home! how exciting!!! enjoy it to the fullest!

I have the shark steam mop, it does not swivel.. they have changed it from their "original' mop and honestly, I liked the first one much better.. but this new one is ok and I do use it. I have prefinished wood floors in my kitchen.. I have used the mop on it every single day and absolutely no damage or dulling. People on here are very happy with the bissell too.. the only thing I am not crazy about the shark is, it has a "pump" action to release the steam.. as you are pushing the mop forward, the steam comes out and a lot of it.. But you have to keep it moving, I find this annoying as the first shark had continuous steam, and I really loved it. The only think I can say, itÂs powerful . I donÂt know if I would buy the shark again.. There are many companyÂs coming out with really nice professional ones that I am sure is so much better. As far as damage. .no, it wonÂt damage your new floors.

Hope this was helpful! Good luck in your new home!
    Ree

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Hi cork2win,
    I also have the shark steam mop, and have not had any problems with it at all and like it rather well. I only have tile floors though so couldn't give any advise on wood floors. It does do a quick job and cleans up great.

Hi reeree,
    I haven't talked to you in a while, but I always look for your comments, you always give such good advise that I look forward to reading. I am interested in what you said about not purchasing another shark since there are a lot newer ones coming out. I agree, but that is the way it usually goes, when something is introduced to the public that is good, soon after there are others that are new and improved. I think that if my shark broke or quit, I too would investigate what other steam mops are out there before purchasing another one even though I love the one I have. With that said, I am wondering if you have come across any other steam mops that you are very interested in? Would you share? I also want you to know that I finally finished my laundry soap and purchased Charlies and have just started using it. So far so good. I will post again on another thread about Charlies when I have used it more and let you know how it is going.
    Thanks for all your wonderful advise.
    BW

• Related Discussions

Hoover Floormate, Shark Mop/canister or Bissell Steam Mop

Q

Comments (6)
    There are many large posts here about the benefits of each of the products you mentioned. If you do a search, you find lots of good info and reviews from people who use them everyday. I will say, however, that there don't seem to be many people who use the shark/euro-pro canister steam mop. That is what I have. I got it from Lowe's for $99. It is NOT the same type of appliance as the bissell or the shark mop. Those are "stick" type mops. The shark canister looks like a small canister vacuum. It holds enough water to steam for about 45 minutes. I also have a new large home and lots of tile. I would recommend that you make sure that your grout is sealed properly. That will ease alot of worries. I have several large areas of tile, and I can mop pretty much everything without having to refill (and wait 15 minutes for it to heat up). So basically, I'd say I can mop everything in much less than an hour. It's ALOT less strenuous than conventional mopping. It doesn't use chemicals, either. I never noticed how much that smell bothered me until I quit using lots of cleaning chemicals! It seems to do a VERY good job cleaning the tile. Of course, you still have to sweep first, but I just use a large dust mop and that doesn't take but just a few minutes. The shark also has attachments that are good for cleaning the crevices around toilet seats, corners, etc. There's ALOT of things you can use it for. I haven't had much luck with mirrors, for some reason, though. The only downfall I have with my steam mop is that it only comes with one microfiber pocket (you can flip it over and use both sides). But I use 2-3 when I clean my whole house. I had to order an extra pack from the company and it took 12 weeks to come in. You will DEFINATELY need a couple of packs to do your house. Hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
    ...See More

recieved my steam mop 3 days ago H2O Mop X5 from QVC

Q

Comments (3)
    My mistake Mike, but I think you understood my reasoning. You are not suppose to remove the grout unless you are going to replace it. Just think of the stuff that would get into the cracks.
    ...See More

Shark Steam Mop

Q

Comments (156)
    I hate my shark steam mop. I have ceramic tile in dining room & kitchen, hardwood in living room. I've used it about 5 times. Leaves ugly streaks all over my floors & 2 pads are def not enough--they are a mess & washing (even bleaching) does not get them clean! I've gone back to scrubbing on my hands & knees; however today I wanted to do a quick clean up today in front of my door & now the stupid thing won't steam? Talk about frustrating! Colossal waste of money....
    ...See More

Shark Steam Mop

Q

Comments (20)
    I just read the reviews above. I would like to share, I love steam cleaning, I feel it does efficiently clean and sanitize...the key is, to find the right one. I bought the "new and improved" shark mop and I was not happy with it at all..they should of left it alone,,the old one was much better and I was sick when it went ka-put..they weren't making it any longer..until the new one came out. Mine didn't leak..I found it was very hard to push..the steam wasn't continuous and it "pumped" the steam out as you pushed the mop back and forth..it sits in my closet. I want to buy the lady bug professional steamer..but it is very expensive..I was considering the Haan steam mop..here is the link below I also want to share Shark CS is horrible to deal with. Here is a link that might be useful: Haan steam mop
    ...See More
  • sandilyn
    16 years ago

I have the Bissell and I am very happy with it, although I would have tried the Shark first just because they carry it locally at Target (but there were out at the time I was wanting one). I ordered the Bissell on line from Target.

Not totally sure about the differences between the Shark & the Bissell, but I think they may be (and please correct me if I am wrong everyone) that the Bissell has a trigger that releases the steam right where your hand is already resting for pushing the mop. I find this no issue at all and I like the fact that I can control the steam. Also, the steam comes out of the bottom of the Bissell mop head rather in front of, which I believe the Shark's steam comes out of the front of the mop head (?). It would personally be difficult for me to maneuver around the toilets in particular if my mop head did not swivel. I think the Bissell may be about a pound or so heavier but it still is very light - I have fibromyalgia and back issues too and this is the easiest mop I have ever used. :) I have no problems with the mop cloth heads - I haven't ever dried them in a dryer though so that may help. I launder them according to the directions.

I have vinyl flooring and my floors are still showing streaking for a couple days after mopping each time but I am going to assume that will stop happening soon. I know they say it is the old cleanser buildup but maybe it is taking the no-wax stuff off of my linoleum ???!!!?? It says not to use these on no wax floors I believe but I would rather have a dull floor than a dirty one that isn't going to shine anyway. LOL

The Bissell (and probably the Shark too ??) says you can use this on "sealed" wood floors.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi talk2bw
    How are you? haven't talked in a while! Glad we touched base!

I didn't find another steam mop yet.. I did see one that was more professional , canister type and canÂt remember where I saw it I am not ready yet as the shark works fine but I honestly do not like the way you have to push it for the steam to come out..the old one was continuous and I liked it so much moreÂsometimes to me, change and improvements are not always good. .maybe I am just so use to my old one..?? I will look for the other one that I had interest in, and when I find it, IÂll let you know.

I am so happy you are starting with Charlies! I really love it! I have my mother, cousins and friends using it and they all are really happy. You should check out ShakleeÂs Nature Bright for stains. .itÂs amazing! You also add a scoop in the wash as a laundry boost. In the laundry forum there is a post on Charlies.. check it out and read what other people are saying I think the owner of Charlies writes on there too..very helpful and nice!

Stay in touch..I will keep an eye out for you!
    Ree

• cork2win
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info so far ladies. I guess I really need to see some of these in person rather than just shopping the web. Perhaps a stop at BB&B is in order...

• zipster
    16 years ago

Ree good to see you here. I really value your advice and am finding more and more uses for my Scunci steamer. Love it!!

Thanks, Zipster

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hey zipster !
    Nice to hear from you! I am so happy you are loving your Scunci! It becomes addicting! (smile) Hope all is well with you and hubby!
    Keep in touch!
    Talk soon!
    Ree

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Is the recommended Bissell Steam Mop the green one - #1867-7 ? Their website indicates that one steam mop is discontinued and the new one is 1867-7. Is this the correct one to order?
    I am another Charlies Soap fan. It takes a few washings to get all the old stuff out of your clothes - but when you do - your clothes will be soft and smell fresh!
    I also use the liquid all purpose alot - on many, many things, in addition to fabrics.
    Their customer service is excellent as well. I found them from the Laundry forum a few years ago after researching FL washers.
    Thanks for all those who have shared about steam mops - I am convinced!

• graywings123
    16 years ago

ReeRee - maybe I am confusing you with another poster, but I thought you had written previously that you lived in a house with floors that were 120 years old. If that is the case, your flooring wasn't prefinished, it was finished on site.

Prefinished floors are a fairly recent development. As I understand it, because each board is finished individually, the flooring lacks a solid protective surface that seals the cracks between the floor boards. The fear is that the steam will be forced into those cracks. People with older flooring that has been finished on site don't have as much of a concern about it because the spaces between the boards are sealed.

I think a lot of this is determined by the steam mop and the person using it. Some steamers can be dialed down to let out less steam, and using them with a thick pad is not a lot different than using a damp mop. But in the wrong hands, a steam mop could send a lot of moisture in places that damages the wood. [If you have ever seen a man use a pressure washer for the first time on a wood deck, you will know what I mean.]

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

graywings - I agree with your assessment of potentially damaging prefinished hardwood floors w/ too much steam. Prefinished are bevelled on the egdes that create very slight openings between the boards. Hardwood floors laid, then sanded and finished on site do not have these bevelled edges. When I had some damage (from my very elderly greyhound) - the installer told me to take an artist brush and reapply the poly between the boards, which I admit I never did.
    I am interested in some sort of steam mop mostly for the new ceramic we have. Someone also recommended the Hoover Floormate - anyone with experience with this product?
    Thanks

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi graywings!
    yes..I do have 120 year old floors..but, my kitchen flooring is prefinished, 7 years old. ( as I wrote to cork2win) I usually steam clean it once per day on the norm..sometimes I do skip a day. I have never had damage or dulling..works fine.

I am not familiar with the dial steam mopsÂactually I have never seen one. This "new" shark does not have continuous steam.. the steam is released as your mopping and pushing the mop forward..if you stop, the steam stops. I personally liked my first shark much better. It had continuous steam, but if you left it alone at a stand still for a minute, you would have a mark on your floor from itÂ.the one I have now will not do that. I actually used the old shark mop on the kitchen floors too..no damage from that one either.

Ree

• graywings123
    16 years ago

ReeRee - thanks for clarifying.

My canister steamer has a dial to adjust the pressure up and down, which in turn affects the amount of steam coming out. (I think it works like this: more pressure = higher temperature = less steam, but I am not certain.) This is separate from the button to press to let the steam out. The steam mops are a simpler version of this, but the same process and same result.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Graywings
    yours sounds interesting. .is it a professional unit? Sounds like a canister? I really do love the idea of steam cleaning, I have been doing it for years. My next time around, I want a really good professional one..I did see one that I liked and can't remember what site I was on.. (you would like I would have saved it..lol)

I really believe the steam will not damage prefinished flooring. .I honestly never had any problems. My sister in law had Bruce prefinished flooring installed a few months back and she uses her steam mop on them as well. .and they are fine. Even though the floor boards are not sealed as if you were having it done on site, it's just steam. .it is not soaking the wood like wet moping would.. so I can't see any damage occurring from the steam mops. . Actually I also use the Hoover Floor Mate, that releases water and then sucks it up.. and that hasnÂt damaged any of my hard wood at all. I like it, but much more time consuming.. I use that about once a week to give the floors a good scrub.. but I do not use the cleaners that comes with it.. I use my natural cleaners mixed with water instead and they are really clean!

Keep in touch!
    Ree

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Ree,

What natural cleaner are you using mixed with water to put in your Floor Mate? Also, do you prefer the Shaklee Basic H2 and Nature Bright Booster to the Charlie's All Purpose? My niece spot cleans her floors with windex, sprays it on the floor and wipes it up with a rag. Could you do the same with the Basic H2 or Charlie's All Purpose?

BW

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Ree,
    Please tell me more about your Hoover Floor Mate. I am considering purchasing one to clean newly laid ceramic and my prefinished hardwood. I prefer not to use chemicals. Which model do you have? I appreciate any info you would like to share.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi talk2bw

I absolutely love Shaklee Basic H2! . I use it on everything, including the floors when I use the floor mate, I only need a drop or two in the water holder. ItÂs an all purpose cleaner so you use for spot cleaning as well. I bought the three spray bottles from Shaklee, they are labeled, all purpose, windows and mirrors, and degreaser. They tell you how to mix for each cleaning purpose, and that one bottle lasts a long time.
    I have had the same 16oz bottle for 5 months and still have a little left. (time to re-order) it is very concentrated and well worth every penny, and you save a lot of money just by buying that one bottle ( I use it everyday ) Everything is clean, and it is 100% organic!

The nature bright I mainly use it with my laundry. .it is the best to remove stains.. the best I have ever seen.

I also have the Charlies all purpose cleaner and a Charlies spray bottle to make the mix, it is a good product also, but I honestly favor Shaklee. In the Laundry department, I love Charlies soap .

Hope this helped..! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

magothyrivergirl
    I have the white and green one..I don't know the model number, but it has " power brush 300" on it. I feel it really deep cleans the floors. ItÂs amazing how much dirt it liftÂs.. pretty gross actually. .lol! I use very hot tap water and Shaklee all purpose cleaner. I never use the cleaners they give you or recommend to use. At times, I have also used vinegar mixed with water also. If you use Shaklee basic H2, you only use a tiny drop or two, it doesnÂt work well it you have lots of suds. I use the floor mate about once a week and then I use my steam mop for quick cleaning in between. I do have to say, it is a little time consuming , but still beats the mop and bucket and your floors are much cleaner!
    Ree

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Ree - thanks - I know my floors aren't getting as clean as I want because my socks are dirty!! The Floor Mate indicated you could dry vacuum, then scrub. I have a little black dachshund who shreds at least a dog-a-day- The meile picks that up great- but for bathrooms especially, it would be nice to be able to keep up with the doghair & wet cleaning with one appliance. I know the cannister is small - I wouldn't be using it for actually vaccuming - just a quick once over to pick up the doggie hair before cleaning. I am afraid I will end up with a steam mop also !
    Thanks for your help!!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

magothyrivergirl
    I really think you will like the floor mate. It vacuums, washes and dries in one shot, so in a way it can be a time saver. I am always amazed how much dirt is collected. .it really is disgusting (smile) I always loved the steam mop because it is a super fast way to clean the floors and it also sanitizes them due to the very hot steam.. kills everything. .lol
    Let me know if you get one!
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

magothyrivergirl
    I really think you will like the floor mate. It vacuums, washes and dries in one shot, so in a way it can be a time saver. I am always amazed how much dirt is collected. .it really is disgusting (smile) I always loved the steam mop because it is a super fast way to clean the floors and it also sanitizes them due to the very hot steam.. kills everything. .lol
    Let me know if you get one!
    Ree

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Ree - are you telling me I don't have to go over the floor in a dry/vacuum mode first, then wet clean with the Floor mate? It will pick up the "wet" doghair in the scrubbing mode???
    I like superfast .........my birthday's coming up..........another question - perhaps silly- how would a steam mop work on the deck of a sailboat? (since you seem to be the Queen of Steam here! This observation of mine is said very kindly.)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

magothyrivergirl
    lol! now thats a first for me..queen of steam! I am not sure about a sail boat deck..is is sealed wood? if it is regular hard wood flooring..then why not! Sounds beautiful!

The floor mate sucks every thing up! I never pre vacuum. Once in a blue I will with the floor mate , but it's rare. I always have to with the steam mop.

Ree

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Cork2win-I have the sharp steam blaster (from Lowe's). It is like a little canister vac looking thing with several attachments. Everyone here seems to really like the mop, but I recommend you look at the steam blaster. It will steam for about 30 min. or so on one fill and seems to work great. Plus you can use the other attachments for mirrors, windows, grout, whatever you need. It was $99 at Lowes, but I've never seen it anywhere else. Good luck!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

magothyrivergirl
    here it is..Target
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoover Floor Mate

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Ree,

Gee thanks for the information on the Shaklee. I can't believe that little bottle makes so much cleaner. Amazing. I will have to get some and the Nature Bright too. Another question, do you buy your shaklee products online or do you get it from a dealer? Love the Charlie's soap so far. Clothes really smell clean. I really like all this Less is More stuff, LOL.

BW

• groomingal
    16 years ago

I am on my second Hoover Floormate. I had the first model and it worked great until I used cleaner that was not recommended for it and it ruined the seals/gaskets.
    I have the wide path one and I like it better. I have pets too and I would recommend getting the hair up with a broom first. It seems to clog the suction part on the bottom (even if you dry vac first) and it won't dry as well. I don't think it is time consuming to use- much faster than hands/knees method.
    Another downfall is it doesn't get into tight spaces or corners so those have to get spot cleaned.

I did have a Scooba and I will never purchase one of those again- I would rather have a floor mate any
    day.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

talk2bw
    Here is the distributor I use. Her name is Joanne and you can also call her with any questions about any shaklee products..she is very nice and helpful! I am 100% you will love their products.. ( Oprah has Shaklee on her show often) let me know when you get it!
    Ree

groomingal
    I am on my third Hoover Floor Mate... The first two from way back stopped sucking the water up after one year use.. I called a hoover repair place to see if I could have it fixed, and they man told me they haven't perfected it yet and many people had problems with them... this one I have now is just fine..no problems. I use my own cleaners and it is fine to do ..natural/ organic products will not damage the seals or gaskets and very safe to use..no chemicals ..and much milder than what they give you. It does not work well if you make the cleaning solution sudsy ... so that you have to be careful with.
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaklee

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

The hoover floor mate was made to suck everything up with out vacuuming or sweeping before hand. When the bottom suction gets hair in it, it is a removable part so you can clean it. I wash all the parts after every use and never had problems. It only takes a second to pull hair out and rinse it off in the sink itÂs really no biggie to do this saves you that one extra step and makes washing the floors an easy and fast experience.

• groomingal
    16 years ago

reeree- how do you get the bottom piece off? That would be much easier than having to get hair out of it. thanks for the link to the cleaning products!

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Ree,

I don't exactly understand how Shaklee works. So many distributors, do you pick anyone, or find one in your area, or just buy from the main Shaklee sight? Is there other charges such as s&h and taxes? And the membership, is it worth it? I know Charlie's is free shipping and no taxes. Thanks for your info.

BW

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

groomingal
    There should be "sliding clips" on each end of the plastic front- bottom plastic clear "nozzle" that the water is releasing and extracting from.. take a look and let me know if yours has it. .it should (so easy to clean..can be a little gross, but beats vacuuming or sweeping first )
    Ree

BW
    here is a link to the woman I buy from, her name is Joanne and she is a doll. I did join as a member , and I get 15% off. You do have to pay s&h.. but it is still a huge money saver..the basic H2 lasts a long-long time. You'll love the results from cleaning.. I do suggest to buy the spray bottles, they are labeled .. and they are inexpensive if you need help in navigating the web site, I will help you, or you can give Joanne a call (her # is on the top of her web page) and she will explain the products and help you with your order) let me know!
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: shaklee distributor

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi! I was waiting to see if you read the info. Let me know how you do! Ree

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Ree,

Don't want you to think I forgot you...I am checking with my sister who knows someone that uses Shaklee. Do you know if you should use a certain (meaning in ones own area) distributor and if the cost is different on s&h with each different distributor? After I get answers from my sis and from you, I will probably try to call Joanne to see what answers she can offer. Is Joanne in your area? Is that how you found her? I do know I want to try the products. Thanks.

BW

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi BW
    I actually found her on here... there is a post on Shaklee, after reading it, I went to the web site and read it..so I called her and ordered it. As far as shipping, she didn't send it right from her house ( we don't live close, I am in NY, she is in Florida) She put the order through Shaklee and they shipped it from there. If your sister knows someone who has a distributor locally who keeps products at her house..that would be great! If not, I think they all order directly from the Shaklee corp. Either way, I really think you will like the product and it lasts a very long time .
    keep me posted!
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

BW
    my next venture is the Lotus system..have you read that post? That sounds interesting to me! (smile)
    Ree

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Ree,

My sister hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I should talk to her tomorrow. Then I will be more sure of what I will do. Yes, I did read the thread on the Lotus System. I am totally amazed. Dashmo37 explained the system so well, she has me really interested. I googled the Lotus System and read all that I could. Also, did you go to this web sight and check it out? Lots of information:
    http://www.tersano.com/index.php
    I also went to Amazon and they have 46 customer reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tersano-lotus-Sanitizing-System-LBU100/dp/B000P9MC2K?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1194380390&sr=1-20
    Let me know if you do get one and what you think of it.
    BW

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi BW
    Thanks for the links.. I had already read everything about it when I first saw the postÂ.I donÂt let grass grow under my feet when something new and natural comes out. .lol! I am definitely considering it, but I am a little concerned with all the returns and defective units. Sounds confusing with all the error codes, priming etc. but does spark an interest.. The only thing that I donÂt like, is the water lasts for only 15 minutes before you have to recharge. I also fear that once I buy it, they will make a new and improved one (isnÂt that always the way??) that already happened with one product , as followsÂ..

Long ago I bought the EcoQuest Laundry Pure. It was similar in technology. Worked on oxygen, UV lights and silver technology. It was expensive @ 750.00 (now the units have been reduced) The idea was to clean clothes and sanitize them with sterile, sanitized water, much like the Lotus. At first , I thought it was great, clothes were clean.. Then when I had towels that my kids wiped their hands on and it had surface dirt, it didnÂt come out. After 6 weeks of use, clothes started stretching out.. it was a fight, but I returned it.. there was no way I was losing that kind of money on something that truly didnÂt work and damaged our clothes. I do like the technology of this type of cleaning and I do believe in it, but being this new, they have to work the kinks out.

I want to find the Lotus locally, so if I am having the problems as some, I can take it back with out having to do the shipping and waiting game. I am hoping it works like they claim, for this will be truly wonderful!
    I am willing to give it a try. I called the local stores who are authorized to sell it, but none in stock..so I will wait and call again. If you beat me to it, please let me know what you think! In any event, I will always have my Shaklee under my sink! (how are you doing with Charlies??)

Ree

• talk2bw
    16 years ago

Hi Ree,

I think our minds work alike.:) I too am a little skeptical about purchasing, then they will come out with a better one. I do that a lot and told myself not to do it anymore, lol. I also usually buy when something first comes out and within six months the price has lowered a bunch. Well, I'm learning. :) I did see on the Lotus web sight some different models but said they were "Coming soon", so there you go. I am going to keep my eyes open at different stores to see if they are carrying the Lotus. I too think the technology sounds great. Who wouldn't like to get rid of all their cleaners and just use water? I think I will try the Shaklee for now and see how that goes. I am glad that you were able to take back the EcoQuest and get your money back.

As for the Charlies, I am loving it. I have used it for 2 weeks now and I'm starting to see that some of our clothes are getting softer. I am not using any softeners or vinegar. If you remember, I used the vinegar in my rinse and found that the machine started having a bad odor. After that I used just my other laundry detergent and did not use any vinegar or softener. It still smelled. I now leave the lid open (top loader) for a few hours after washing. I am thinking that Charlies is now getting rid of the buildup of laundry detergents in the tub. You think? It is starting to have less of an odor while using Charlies and the clothes come out smelling very clean. I'm thinking the longer I use Charlies, the smell will go away completely. :)

BW

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

BW
    Yes, Great minds do think alike! (smile)

I am so happy you love Charlies! I love it my self, and very happy with it. Yes, all odors will go away. Charlies does not leave behind chemical residues, and that is what causes odors. I have a front loader and I use to get a sour smell... not any more! (smile)

I love the fresh clean smell and do not miss the perfume scents at all. ItÂs funny, when my kids friends come over, as soon as they walk in I immediately smell gain , tide or fabric sheets. .it is so strong that I want to take their clothes and coats and wash them! lol!

I really do want the lotus but I will wait a bit longer, but itÂs tempting ! I really believe it does work, the only thing that puts the question mark is, all the trouble some people have with their units. Some donÂt, but with my luck, I will be one of them that will have a bad unit. I love the idea how it cleans fruits and vegetables as well our time will come BW!
    Ree

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

well, i have read all of the steam mop posts and decided that i would like to try it - apart from two bathrooms all of my floors are hardwood. It used to take a couple of days to put the cleaner on and then the finisher. So, I bought a Sharp steam mop, and wow, did it make things easier! It only took me 2 hours to mop the bathroom floors, the hallway, sitting room and kitchen, AND apply the finisher to two rooms (that i did as i always do, the old fashioned way on my hands and knees). So, all of my floors have been done now, and they look wonderful. The steam mop is not something i would use daily or weekly, but was definately a good buy. Have also tried the Charlies liquid laundry detergent and that is wonderful. Much better than Tide HE - which to date was the only detergent we could use without coming out in a rash. So, thanks to everyone who posted.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

bmmalone
    so glad you like your steam mop! It is pure pleasure to have one. ItÂs fast and you can feel confident your floors are really clean!
    Charlies is wonderful! I use the powder and really like it. So glad to hear more people are going ÂnaturalÂ
    Thanks for posting!
    Ree

• groomingal
    16 years ago

Reeree- thanks for your help- mine has clips to slide and then you squeeze two levers. I was able to clean all of it out- yuck...it is amazing how much it cleans!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!