SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Thoughts on our plans please?

babs711
13 years ago

Hi guys. We have gotten the first draft of our plans from our architect who is a friend of ours and very easy to work with. These are what he's put together from the thoughts from our first couple of meetings. One thing to note is that our lot is in New Orleans where lots are very narrow (50 wide x 122 long) is typical). So that is the reason for the long, narrow house. :) So working with what we've got and the aesthetic we are striving for on the outside has a lot to do with the shape too.

What we are wanting to do is NOT go over 4000 total. We are planning to STAY here even after our kids are gone. This is IT. They are 5 and 9 now. We love this neighborhood and location.

I'm happy with the placement of the rooms. What I'm not liking with this is that I'd pictured a breakfast room or having the informal dining/eating area open to the kitchen. In this version it is closed off. So I'm not sure how to remedy that. I should note that when we were doing sketches (which this still technically is part of...he just put it on the computer to be more exact with measurements), I had issues with the kitchen table/breakfast area being BETWEEN the kitchen and the living room and we were going to do more of an L set up but since he rearranged things, it looks like Mike's Den has moved to the breakfast nook and the kitchen has moved to the top of the plans instead of the bottom. And that's fine but is there a way to open up that table space without having it go between the living and the kitchen? I might need to post that on the kitchen board too, huh?...

Thoughts? Major things that stand out? I'm putting his comments from his email (I'm editing them down a bit) below the pics):

I was able to work with the plans and include nearly all of the things we discussed. Attached are first and second floor plans (I put them on computer to get the sizes of the spaces scaled properly... and to also get a good total square footage number. Here is what I was able to do based on our last meeting...

(1) "Mike's Den" is looking good! It's 14x13 and is located in the back, off the family room, with pocket French doors that can be opened t the living area... or closed if they get too loud. It also has access to a "walk in" bar and has door that opens to the back porch!

(2) The bar is a "walk in" type that Michael wanted... and is on the Family Room wall... and opens into Mike's den (a pocket French door access from Mike's Den?). It's 8 feet long... can accommodate approx 3 barstools, has room for small sink and icemaker, and a back wall with short 12" shelves for bottles/glasses.

(3) Dining room is "separate" but also "open"... it is between kitchen and stairs... and can fit a nice size table/chairs. Your hutch is shown at actual size on the plans, between the windows. We can open the stairs up by exposing the railing to make the dining room look even more "roomy". It's 12 feet wide... which is more than enough for a table/chairs.

(4) The kitchen has a large (9 foot) island with bar for about 4 barstools. You will notice that I put a cased opening into the dining room (on the hutch wall) that can possibly eliminated to give you more kitchen cabinet space. Kitchen opens up to Family room (dotted line is a beam on ceiling separating the two spaces visually). Cooktop/range could go in island, but you'll need a hood over it which may or may not be the look you want. *NOTE THAT I DO NOT WANT THE RANGE IN THE ISLAND!!!!*

(5) Pantry is off of side wall... pocket door can "hide" pantry when entertaining.

(6) Family room is 17x18... nice size... and can fit 2 sofas and 2 chairs. Fireplace and built in cabinets on side wall.

(7) Office "nook" is similar in width to what I have in the house you saw (the office nook you liked) and it's across from the kitchen. Two small 18" French doors will give you the ability to close it off. 6 foot desk on one side.... 7 foot counter on the other... wall cabinets above. Lots of storage for crafts, scrapbook, etc... and space for computer/printer. Window on wall gives natural light. Will be a cool "nook".

(8) Laundry room is downstairs, near office nook. Near family/kitchen area, but out of the way so you can close it off.

(9) I went back to the "fold back" deign for the stairs... and you will be able to see the banister and stairs when you enter front door (you liked this at the other houses).

(10) Extra bedroom (for your mom) is downstairs! With a bath... and small closet tucked under the stairs. This will work much better than having it upstairs (especially for your mom or other guests). Vanity in that bathroom will need to be 24" to fit in the "full" bath.

(11) Exercise room is now Upstairs... it can be a bedroom, office, or "other" room if necessary.. but it will be a nice exercise room with lots of natural light. (10 foot wide).

(12) Playroom is upstairs still... 12 x 19 is good size... I show a built in bookcase for storage and TV.. but you may want that to be furniture? People come up stairs and simply turn left into playroom. Access and views of front porch.

(13) Upstairs kids Bedrooms and their baths and closets are identical in size (12 x 13'-9" bedroom is a nice size).

(16) the house sits nicely on the lot...it's 36' wide, which means you'll have 14 foot of side yard... we'll put the carport side at 4 foot off that side property line... leaving 10 feet on the other side (by the fireplace)... which will make the yard wider.

Let me know what you think. We can get together next week one day to discuss.

I like this layout and I hope you guys do too!

Comments (15)