SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blt_in_nm

How loud are your appliances?

blt_in_nm
16 years ago

I guess there's two ways to ask this: 1) are they (to you) really quiet, noticeable, irritating, or downright obnoxious, and 2) have you checked them with a sound level meter to get an answer in decibels? I have just put in several Electrolux appliances so I am curious what others' experiences have been.

First, the stand-alone undercounter ice machine: I checked all of my appliances with a Radio Shack analog sound level meter with the weighting set to "C" (gets more low-frequency noise as I understand it). While the ice machine is pumping (running water over the cube maker) and while it's dumping ice, it's about 60 dB. Definitely noticeable, borderline irritating. The up side is that it's very fast, and once the hopper is full it is completely silent.

The all-fridge and all-freezer: When I first put these in they would read about 62 dB when both were running. The normal "hum" wasn't irritating, even at this level, but there was one rumbling tone in there that was irritating. I tried adding some sound insulation under, above, and on the sides of the two units (keeping in mind not to block airflow) and the situation improved quite a bit -- down to about 58 dB, but the vibration sound was still there. The DW was putting something in one day and touched one of the back panels and the vibration noise stopped! Turns out it's the panel that sits right over the compressor and it was vibrating. I checked the screws on it and several were loose. I tightened them and found that several others in the cabinet interior were loose too. I tightened all of them and checked again: about 54 dB with both running and no irritating loose panels.

I think I improved my situation but I know that the LGs and Samsungs are very quiet -- they claim around 42 dB but I don't know how they measured that. My floor is hard ceramic in a fairly large open room, so I know that adds to it.

I'll check the Electrolux dishwasher the next time I do dishes and let you know.

Anyone else out there concerned about noise or should I move on to bigger and better problems?

Comments (8)