SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Choosing tiles is tough -- did you match your floor and shower?

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have recently renovated or who are design keeners, is it better to match your shower tiles with the bathroom floor tiles or do a darker tile floor for the rest of the bathroom and lighter tile on the shower walls? Usually, I see lighter tiles inside showers, especially for those with shower curtains to keep the shower from feeling dark. However, light tile floors are not forgiving on the cleaning front. Also, so many of the nice lighter tiles I see for walls that I like don't come in a matte finish for the floor and glossy tiles on the floor concern me. Can you tell me how you solved the shower tiles vs bath floor tile debate and why you decided what you did?

We are trying to select the tiles and then counters for two baths in our house we are re-building. The ensuite is large and will have a toilet room, large vanity and large shower with glass doors. The other bathroom will be shared by two teen boys and an 8 year old girl and will have a tub/shower combo with shower curtain, a large vanity and a toilet in a bit of an alcove.

Now we had originally thought we would want to have the tiles on the floors darker than those in the showers so they would look cleaner, which is a particular concern with the family bath shared by three kids (none of whom are interested in cleaning).

Here is one combination we were considering for the family bath shared by three. However, I am not at all sure about these selections and if we should scrap and do wall and floor tiles that matches. The possible floor tile is on the left, the possible quartz counter in centre and the possible shower tile on the right. The off white paper is the paint colour for the vanity and the blue paper is a proposed wall colour. What do you think, please be honest.

Thanks in advance for any general opinions on tile choices or specific opinions on the photo below. I welcome your honest.

Carol

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH